Rome - Leonardo da Vinci train Transfer

Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:57 PM
jvg23

Default Rome - Leonardo da Vinci train Transfer

I'm arriving to Rome on May 1st and need to take a train to Florence.
Can I directly catch a train from the airport to Florence or do I need
to take the train to Termini and find the Florence train from there?
Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
jenn

jvg23 wrote:

I'm arriving to Rome on May 1st and need to take a train to Florence.
Can I directly catch a train from the airport to Florence or do I need
to take the train to Termini and find the Florence train from there?
Thanks.

you need to go to termini

what I now do thanks to advice from someone else on this group is buy a
Eurostar ticket to Florence at the train station at the airport -- that
way you don't run the risk of missing a train if the plane is late --
and you don't have to stand in line at termini --- you can also get
tickets for other trains there if the Eurostar timing is not right

May 1 is a major holiday in Europe -- we once arrived at the Venice
train station to find the boats all closed and had to walk from the
shuttle drop at the Rialto [one boat going back and forth between the
train station and rialto] to our hotel with luggage -- a goodly stretch

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Termini and then change for Florence. I think you can get a single
ticket but I don't know if it's any cheaper or you just save one ticket
line. FFM

Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Chris Bastian

In article ,
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Termini and then change for Florence. I think you can get a single
ticket but I don't know if it's any cheaper or you just save one ticket
line. FFM

Looking at the master European timetable (btw - the best site I've found
for research, regardless of which country I'll be in, is the Swiss
Railways site), it appears as though there's a Eurostar train leaving
Termini about 20 min. after each FCO train arrives (remember, only
"express" trains go from the Airport to Termini; most trains are
commuter runs to the peripheral stations (Trastevere, Ostiense,
Tiburtina, etc) which the Eurostar trains don't visit.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Chris Bastian wrote:

In article ,
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Termini and then change for Florence. I think you can get a single
ticket but I don't know if it's any cheaper or you just save one ticket
line. FFM

Looking at the master European timetable (btw - the best site I've found
for research, regardless of which country I'll be in, is the Swiss
Railways site), it appears as though there's a Eurostar train leaving
Termini about 20 min. after each FCO train arrives (remember, only

Just be aware it is a good walk from the FCO platforms to the mainline
ones
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:50 AM
jvg23

Thanks Jenn,
Any advice on how best to purchase train passes ?
I'll be making round trips to the west coast, to Venice, and back to
Rome.
All from Londa(small town not too far from Florence). I've seen where
I can purchase a group pass for $160 which gets me 4 legs and then
it's $16 per trip after that. Is it best to get the pass or to buy
each trip Individually?
Thanks for the help.
Voss.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:45 PM
jenn

jenn wrote in message ...

jvg23 wrote:

I'm arriving to Rome on May 1st and need to take a train to Florence.
Can I directly catch a train from the airport to Florence or do I need
to take the train to Termini and find the Florence train from there?
Thanks.

I don't train enough to make passes worth it for me -- Rick Steves has a
guide to figuring out whether passes are worth it or not -- you might
check his web site or books