London to New York on Kuwait Airways

Old April 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM
David Drewienka

Default London to New York on Kuwait Airways

Using the internet I have found what appears to be a very cheap flight
from London to New York on Kuwait Airways. Can someone please tell me
whether the flight is direct from London to New York, or is it London
- Kuwait - New York?

Also, does anyone have experience flying Kuwait Airways? What is the
catch? Why are the flights so cheap?

Thanks

David
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Miguel Cruz

David Drewienka wrote:
Using the internet I have found what appears to be a very cheap flight
from London to New York on Kuwait Airways. Can someone please tell me
whether the flight is direct from London to New York, or is it London
- Kuwait - New York?

It's nonstop. Going via Kuwait would add about 16 hours!

Also, does anyone have experience flying Kuwait Airways? What is the
catch? Why are the flights so cheap?

They're fine. Might be dry (I don't drink alcohol on planes so I don't
recall).

It's so cheap because they have a flight from Kuwait City to New York,
largely for prestige value (and so that Kuwaitis who care can fly their
national carrier to the USA), that drops off most of its passengers along
the way in London. They need to fill some of those seats on the London - New
York stretch in order to come closer to breaking even on that part of the
flight. The plane's going to fly anyway, for economically irrational
reasons, so any additional tickets they can sell are a bonus for them, no
matter what the price (as long as it's more than the per-passenger fuel/food
cost).

miguel
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM
jenn

Miguel Cruz wrote:

David Drewienka wrote:

[...]

I flew this route about 10 years ago and Kuwait Air ws fine -- excellent
food -- comfortable -- the FAs and security people are martinets but
there is a lot of that going around
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:56 PM
~~ Ray ~~

what is the fare? i'd like to go but £350 for a BA fare for couple days
seems a little out of budget for me.

om...

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

What is the catch? Why are the flights so cheap?

I'm still asking myself that, after booking Chicago-Amsterdam round-trip for
summer for $548. No other airline has gotten within $300 of that price
this year. I bet they could have gotten at least $150 more for those seats!
I tried to find out what the catch was too, and the only things I came up
with is that they don't serve alcohol, the security is pesky, they don't
do advance seat assignments so I figure I'll be at the airport 4 hours
early, and a few people have mentioned that the toilet often gets jammed
and overflows on the Chicago flight, which can be smelly. Other than that,
reviews have been good!