Could someone explain the Jones Act to me?

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Beverly & John

Default Could someone explain the Jones Act to me?

Would someone please explain the Jones Act to me.

I wanted to book the following 2 cruises; NCL says the Jones Act prevents me
from doing so:

1. Sept 22 NCL Star Seattle to Vancouver 1 night

2. Sept 23 NCL Star Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco,
LA 6 nights

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:01:54 -0600, Beverly & John wrote:

Would someone please explain the Jones Act to me.

I wanted to book the following 2 cruises; NCL says the Jones Act prevents me
from doing so:

1. Sept 22 NCL Star Seattle to Vancouver 1 night

2. Sept 23 NCL Star Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco,
LA 6 nights

How do you use a web browser to have google search on something clever like
"jones act"?
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
PMM

Hi

wrote:

Would someone please explain the Jones Act to me.

I wanted to book the following 2 cruises; NCL says the Jones Act prevents
me
from doing so:

1. Sept 22 NCL Star Seattle to Vancouver 1 night

2. Sept 23 NCL Star Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San
Francisco,
LA 6 nights

How do you use a web browser to have google search on something clever
like
"jones act"?

Its actually the Passenger's Service Act you are interested in.

PMM

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Beverly & John" wrote:

Would someone please explain the Jones Act to me.

I wanted to book the following 2 cruises; NCL says the Jones Act prevents me
from doing so:

1. Sept 22 NCL Star Seattle to Vancouver 1 night

2. Sept 23 NCL Star Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco,
LA 6 nights

I suspect they just don't want to sell you the tickets for the one
night cruise. Because there's no prohibition that I can see for not
booking Seattle to Vancouver, if you can do Vancouver to San
Francisco.

The Passenger Services Act says that you can't have a non-USA boat do
coastal cruising in the USA (That is between US ports)

Old February 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:40:00 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

I suspect they just don't want to sell you the tickets for the one
night cruise. Because there's no prohibition that I can see for not
booking Seattle to Vancouver, if you can do Vancouver to San
Francisco.

The Passenger Services Act says that you can't have a non-USA boat do
coastal cruising in the USA (That is between US ports)

Hi Rosalie,

The proposed itinerary would be a violation of the Passenger Service
Act. It has nothing to do with NCL not wanting to sell a 1-night
cruise.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

Would someone please explain the Jones Act to me.

I wanted to book the following 2 cruises; NCL says the Jones Act prevents me
from doing so:

1. Sept 22 NCL Star Seattle to Vancouver 1 night

2. Sept 23 NCL Star Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco,
LA 6 nights

Hi Beverly & John,

Here is a short article that was recently sent to me by one of the
major cruise lines. You can also find lots of good info if you do a
search on the web. The reason your proposed itinerary is illegal is
because you will be traveling from Seattle to San Francisco without
visiting a distant foreign port on a foreign flagged ship.

Begin Article
The 'Jones Act' affects cargo, and has no bearing on us. The
Passenger Services Act is the law that prohibits a foreign-flagged
ship from transporting passengers from one U.S. port to another
without visiting a distant foreign port. Â The two terms are NOT
interchangeable.

U.S. PASSENGER SERVICE ACT:

The United States Passenger Service Act (commonly mistaken and/or
referred
to as the "Jones Act") prohibits ships of non-U.S. registry from
embarking
and disembarking passengers at two different U.S. ports.
Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two
U.S. ports, a practice prohibited on foreign flagged vessels.
An exception to this general rule allows passengers to be transported
between two U.S. ports if the cruise itinerary included a "distant
foreign port".
Distant foreign ports do NOT include Canada, Mexico, Central America,
Bermuda and most Caribbean islands. South America and the ABC islands
(Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) do qualify as distant foreign ports.

Examples of Lawful Itineraries

A cruise originating and terminating in Ft. Lauderdale is permitted
since passengers were returned to their original port of embarkation
and, thus, no point-to-point transportation occurred. A cruise
originating in Ft. Lauderdale and terminating in Los Angeles is
permitted providing that the cruise itinerary includes a South
American port or one of the ABC islands.

Examples of Unlawful Itineraries

A cruise originating in Los Angeles or Seattle and terminating in
Whittier, AK is NOT permitted since the cruise originates and
terminates in different U.S. cities and does not call at a distant
foreign port.
End of article

Old February 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Proveniebam

--

Bev & John:

Tell your TA they are speaking out of their arses.

As far as I'm aware Vancouver is not part of the USA and therefore
isn't covered by the Passenger Service Act. Being a Canadian I'm sure
I would have heard about Vancouver being sold to the US.

NCL have a number of cruises that do multiple american port stops but
include non-american ports as well (transatlantic, or even NY to
Florida to Bahamas).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Services_Act

Old February 21st, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On 21 Feb 2007 13:39:22 -0800, "Proveniebam"
wrote:

As far as I'm aware Vancouver is not part of the USA and therefore
isn't covered by the Passenger Service Act. Being a Canadian I'm sure
I would have heard about Vancouver being sold to the US.

Hi,

It is the cruise line that says it is illegal as they will be the ones
subject to the federal penalty. The OP wanted to start the cruise in
Seattle and disembark in San Francisco. It makes no difference to the
US government whether they bought 2 different cruise segments. If
they were to break their trip in Vancouver from Seattle and spend the
night, they could catch a different ship and sail from Vancouver to
San Francisco. I have many clients that do this type of interruption.

Old February 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

Rosalie B. wrote:
"Beverly & John" wrote:

Would someone please explain the Jones Act to me.

I wanted to book the following 2 cruises; NCL says the Jones Act prevents me
from doing so:
1. Sept 22 NCL Star Seattle to Vancouver 1 night

2. Sept 23 NCL Star Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco,
LA 6 nights

I suspect they just don't want to sell you the tickets for the one
night cruise. Because there's no prohibition that I can see for not
booking Seattle to Vancouver, if you can do Vancouver to San
Francisco.

The Passenger Services Act says that you can't have a non-USA boat do
coastal cruising in the USA (That is between US ports)

the Jones act hapmers back to back cruising in alaska all the time. the
journey SEA to YVR YVR to SFO is in the eyes of the Jones Act actually a
voyage from Seattle to San Francisco.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

wrote:

As far as I'm aware Vancouver is not part of the USA and therefore
isn't covered by the Passenger Service Act. Being a Canadian I'm sure
I would have heard about Vancouver being sold to the US.

Hi,

It is the cruise line that says it is illegal as they will be the ones
subject to the federal penalty. The OP wanted to start the cruise in
Seattle and disembark in San Francisco. It makes no difference to the
US government whether they bought 2 different cruise segments. If
they were to break their trip in Vancouver from Seattle and spend the
night, they could catch a different ship and sail from Vancouver to
San Francisco. I have many clients that do this type of interruption.

Couldn't they just get off in Seattle on the second cruise? Then it
would be Seattle, Vancouver, Alaska, Vancouver, Seattle.

The Maasdam went from Norfolk to Ft. Lauderdale without any foreign
ports in between. We got off in Ft. Lauderdale for a tour. The ship
then went to the Caribbean and came back to Ft. Lauderdale. I don't
see that as any different from Seattle to Vancouver and then Vancouver
to Alaska and back to Seattle.