Travelling barefoot in India - anybody else?

Old August 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Barefoot in India

Default Travelling barefoot in India - anybody else?

I wonder how many of you enjoy the pleasures of travelling barefoot?
I'm not talking about a weekend trip but the serious stuff: Travelling
for several month without even carrying any shoes, staying bare
everywhere… things like that!
Having left Europe for good I'm enjoying my life in India, staying
barefoot all-year-round, wherever I go, whatever I do. For me, being
barefoot isn't just a fashion statement: It's a lifestyle, a way to
express myself… And of course an amazing sensual experience: Walking
barefoot I'm far more "in touch". Conditions are perfect down here as
long as your soles are used to the heat of the summer.
LIVING barefoot is a great experience, but what I love even more is
TRAVELLING barefoot! I'm travelling a lot and I've virtually explored
every nook and corner of India on my bare soles! It's an exciting
experience to roam around without any footwear in my backpack,
trusting in my leather-like soles toughened over many years. It's
exciting to be constantly in touch, to FEEL the country, to experience
every change in temperature or texture of the ground! It's SO
communicative: Every now and then somebody asks me "why are you
wearing no shoes?", and here in India, the reactions are almost always
positive if I explain the advantages of a barefoot lifestyle.
Especially in the South where something like a "barefoot culture"
still exists.
And by the way: Even if quite a few people in the West are gravely
concerned about "health risks", especially if it comes to barefoot
travelling in countries like India – I can assure you I've not faced a
single problem throughout the years! I've been travelling barefoot
since my schooldays and there's nothing my soles didn't get exposed
too but I haven't caught ANY of those countless diseases which fill
the pages of guidebooks and travel-related Web forums! I suppose once
the soles have turned into a sort of "living leather" the risk of
catching something through hand-contact are by far more serious, but
even then I'm trusting in my natural immune system and am not tempted
at all to wear gloves!
I know I'm not the only barefoot traveller - I've met some of you out
there, on the roads. But only every now and then… The web might be a
good place to hook up! Let's get in touch, let's share our
experiences! Make this a meeting-point for our "tribe"!
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Michael Christoffersen

"Barefoot in India" wrote in message
om...
I wonder how many of you enjoy the pleasures of travelling barefoot?

Please explain to me what is the big deal about travelling barefoot or not?
If you ask me, which you didn`t, it is totally insignificant.
But well if you get a kick out of that, be my guest.

Old August 11th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Andy Weaks

Barefoot in India wrote:

[...]

My wife picked up hook worms in Thailand by going barefoot. No lasting
problems.
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Edwardseco

In article , "Michael Christoffersen"
writes:

Please explain to me what is the big deal about travelling barefoot or not?

A Japanese researcher I knew did this in the Punjab. Its something spiritual. I
hope that helped when the parasite he caught that way gradually did him in.
edwardseco

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM
John L

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:52:37 +0200, me wrote:

congratulations, that is the biggest load of crap I have read in here
in a long time

On 10 Aug 2004 09:05:59 -0700, (Barefoot
in India) wrote:

I wonder how many of you enjoy the pleasures of travelling barefoot?
I'm not talking about a weekend trip but the serious stuff: Travelling
for several month without even carrying any shoes, staying bare
everywhere… things like that!

It's walking barefoot through the crap that would bother me.

John L.