getting around in Hawaii

Old October 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default getting around in Hawaii

Ive heard that car rental is on the expensive side but someone
mentioned that there are $2 buses that you can catch. Is that true.
Do they still rent scooters or somthing? Whats the most convenient
from the docks?

Old October 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Oct 4, 8:31 am, wrote:
Ive heard that car rental is on the expensive side but someone
mentioned that there are $2 buses that you can catch. Is that true.
Do they still rent scooters or somthing? Whats the most convenient
from the docks?

Yes, $2.00, it's true for a one-way trip with transfer... It was in
2005 when I was last in Oahu. It's even less for 65+ seniors. I
purchased a 4 day non-senior pass for $20 that allowed me to go all
over the island and travel as often as I wished in that 4 day period.

A senior with proof of age can apply for THEBUS Senior Annual pass for
$30.00

Old October 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

wrote:

Ive heard that car rental is on the expensive side but someone
mentioned that there are $2 buses that you can catch. Is that true.

http://www.thebus.org/ $2 per ride, with one free transfer, or $20
for a 4-day pass. You can buy passes at ABC stores on Waikiki Beach,
which as I recall was at least one store in every block (there were
three on adjoining our hotel), and a few other places. Oahu only.
Maui also has a bus system. I don't know about the other islands.

Do they still rent scooters or somthing?

I saw some scooter rentals, but they were more expensive than car
rentals. I don't think I would want to ride a scooter in downtown
Honolulu.

Whats the most convenient from the docks?

Depends on where you want to go and how much you want to spend. A
taxi would be the most convenient. Enterprise will drop you off at
the pier, and I suppose they'd also pick you up, but you have to go to
their office to do the paperwork, and that transfer adds time. There's
a Hertz rental place on Waikiki Beach. And there are others - check
with Orbitz or Travelocity.

We found it was cheaper to take a taxi from the aiport to an
off-airport rental place than it was to rent at the airport.