Drive from Mexico City to Yucatan?

Old June 11th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Drive from Mexico City to Yucatan?

o.k....still on my pursuit to find an affordable family vacation for
my kids to practice their Spanish and see some pyramids and beaches
without the highrises (ie. NOT looking for a bunch of Americans on a
crowded beach) but a pretty beach would be nice.
Anyway, what about flying into Mexico City and renting a car and
seeing signts on a drive to the Yucatan and back. Do the roads or
crime etc. make it impossible? I wouldn't immagine it to be as simple
as driving across our states....but has anyone done it? Could we make
a good roadtrip out of it instead of flying into Cancun (with very
expensive airline tickets)? I don't want my kids kidnapped or to get
robbed at gunpoint by banditos or the police or anything
horrible...but I am up for an adventure and I would think it is a
great way to see more.
Joy
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Iceman

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:13:19 GMT, Joy Hardie
wrote:

o.k....still on my pursuit to find an affordable family vacation for
my kids to practice their Spanish and see some pyramids and beaches
without the highrises (ie. NOT looking for a bunch of Americans on a
crowded beach) but a pretty beach would be nice.
Anyway, what about flying into Mexico City and renting a car and
seeing signts on a drive to the Yucatan and back. Do the roads or
crime etc. make it impossible? I wouldn't immagine it to be as simple
as driving across our states....but has anyone done it? Could we make
a good roadtrip out of it instead of flying into Cancun (with very
expensive airline tickets)? I don't want my kids kidnapped or to get
robbed at gunpoint by banditos or the police or anything
horrible...but I am up for an adventure and I would think it is a
great way to see more.
Joy

Mexico has a really good bus network, if you'd rather not drive
yourself. There's loads to see between Mexico City and the
Yucatan...Taxco, Oaxaca, San Cristobal de las Casas, Palenque.
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:39 PM
H. Michel

My husband and I have travelled all over Mexico and Latin America with
our three kids at various ages. With kids we always travel by bus. It's
cheap, comfortable, convenient, fun adventure, amusing and a great way
to meet people and practice Spanish.

Old June 12th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Joy Hardie

Do you make reservations for lodgings based on planned itinerarys or
"wing-it" and let the cards fall as they may and stay wherever you
happen to end up? How long would you suggest this trip takes and do
you have any route suggestions?
Joy

Old June 12th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Technobarbarian

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
o.k....still on my pursuit to find an affordable family vacation for
my kids to practice their Spanish and see some pyramids and beaches
without the highrises (ie. NOT looking for a bunch of Americans on a
crowded beach) but a pretty beach would be nice.
Anyway, what about flying into Mexico City and renting a car and
seeing signts on a drive to the Yucatan and back. Do the roads or
crime etc. make it impossible? I wouldn't immagine it to be as simple
as driving across our states....but has anyone done it? Could we make
a good roadtrip out of it instead of flying into Cancun (with very
expensive airline tickets)? I don't want my kids kidnapped or to get
robbed at gunpoint by banditos or the police or anything
horrible...but I am up for an adventure and I would think it is a
great way to see more.

When you consider all the costs it's probably cheaper to fly into
Cancun instead of Mexico City if you're headed for the Yucatan. With your
stated preferences I would have assumed that the Yucatan would have been
your last choice. There are LOTS of Highrises, crowded beaches, condos and
tourists in that area--in fact you'll find more of that on the Mexican
Riviera than anywhere else in Mexico.

Once you get out of the Mexico City area it's a reasonable place to
drive, or ride the bus if money is a factor, the tolls on Mexican roads can
really eat you up. All the usual cautions apply. Here's a good site for
information on driving in Mexico:
http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMexDrive.html I once drove from the Gulf of
Mexico toward Mexico City on the second day of a holiday weekend. I won't
make that mistake again simply because of the extremely ugly traffic
situation. Nor will I drive on the day proceding the Day of the Virgin
again. I've driven many thousands of miles in Mexico and been as far as near
the southern border on several occasions without encountering "banditos" or
larcenous cops. Mexico has become one of the world's leaders in kidnap for
ransom, but your family is not a likely target. Other than the differences
Mr. Eidell notes and the occasional drug war check point, once you get out
of the Mexico City area, it really isn't much more complex to drive across
Mexico than driving across the States. I personally don't drive in the
Mexico City area because of reported crime and traffic problems in that
area.

Dennis

Old June 12th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Joy Hardie

No, you are right, I don't want to go to Cancun.....but my husband is
balking at $400 airline tickets and likes the $212 to Mexico City
better.......then get out of town and start seeing stuff. Although
those pretty turquoise beaches are appealing in Cancun area I know
they come with too many drawbacks. I was thinking there was some nice
stuff to do for kids to snorkel at some park in Akumal ....and the
Tulum ruins might be nice but I guess not nearly as grand as so many
others. My boys LOVE shrimp so if we did drive down from Mexico City
I would love to make it as far as Campeche because my boys just LOVE
shrimp! I didn't see too many rentals there though and I don't know
about beaches.
WOW...those stories about getting robbed make you not even want to go
to Mexico....except I promised the Spanish teacher I would take the
kids.
Anyway, flying into Cancun for $400 probably means postponing the
trip. I had found the airfare at a better price a few weeks ago but
didn't act on it sooner. Cancun is a closer departure town for
exploring those southern areas I have in mind. One boy really wants
to see a monkey.
Joy

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:20:41 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
wrote:

.. .

Old June 12th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Technobarbarian

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
No, you are right, I don't want to go to Cancun.....but my husband is
balking at $400 airline tickets and likes the $212 to Mexico City
better.......then get out of town and start seeing stuff. Although
those pretty turquoise beaches are appealing in Cancun area I know
they come with too many drawbacks. I was thinking there was some nice
stuff to do for kids to snorkel at some park in Akumal ....and the
Tulum ruins might be nice but I guess not nearly as grand as so many
others. My boys LOVE shrimp so if we did drive down from Mexico City
I would love to make it as far as Campeche because my boys just LOVE
shrimp! I didn't see too many rentals there though and I don't know
about beaches.

There's really not much in Campeche for tourists. There's not much of a
beach there.

WOW...those stories about getting robbed make you not even want to go
to Mexico....except I promised the Spanish teacher I would take the
kids.
Anyway, flying into Cancun for $400 probably means postponing the
trip. I had found the airfare at a better price a few weeks ago but
didn't act on it sooner. Cancun is a closer departure town for
exploring those southern areas I have in mind. One boy really wants
to see a monkey.

For monkeys, the area around the ruins of Palenque gets Howler
monkeys. It's a beautiful ruins in a beautiful jungle site. I've been to
Kohunlich a couple of times and seen Howler monkeys at the entrance to the
ruins both times. The site itself has some very nice stucco masks that are
well preserved. Calakmul in extreme southern Mexico is a large site that
draws few visitors. It sits in a bioreserve and it's possible to see all
sorts of animals there especially around dawn and dusk. We've seen a large
troup of Howlers there and Tucans are fairly common high up in the trees. A
bit closer to the area you're heading for Coba has a lot of birds, reptiles
and squirrels. On our last trip we saw a crocodile in the lake near the
ruins. Large iguanas are common at many of the archaeological sites.

As to the crime, think about what a dry report of crime in the States
would sound like to someone from another country. Once you're out of the
Mexico City area things get a lot more relaxed. The biggest problem for
tourists is property crime. Limit the amount of valuables you take and watch
were you leave them. It's much easier to find attended parking in Mexico
than it is in the States. If you're traveling on the bus keep valuables well
hidden and attached to you.

Dennis

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Joy Hardie

Dennis wrote.......
cut If you're traveling on the bus keep valuables well
hidden and attached to you.

A ratty old Timex a husband and kids.....those are my valuables.
Sure, we would have enough money for lodgings and meals....but that
they can have. I am not one to travel fancy. I am not rich and I
don't even bother to fake it.
Joy
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:45 PM
H. Michel

if you plan to do this trip with your kids, you really need to do more
research about the various areas of Mexico. I suggest starting with
Lonely Planet and Carl Franz's very helpful and encouraging "People's
Guide to mexico" to learn more about the country and the culture.

You might consider scaling back your very ambitious plans especially if
you have to consider flying into Mexico City for financial reasons.
Also, if you are interested in learning the language and meeting people,
don't dash around from one end to another. Stay put preferable in a
smaller town or the Mexican part of a large tourist town, so your
children can interact with local children. Acapulco has a huge tourist
section but if you stay in the Mexican part in a local small hotel you
will be surrounded by Spanish speakers.

Flying into cancun and travelling around the Yucatan is a good idea as
several have suggested, and that is what we did on our very first trip
with small children. We ventured out from our base as we got more bold
and as the children became more accumstomed (They were 9, 3 and 1 at
that time) But if that is not possible and you fly into Mexico City,
then consider going from there to one of the coasts either through Taxco
to Acapulco or another town along that coast (For this, consult Lonely
Planet or Moon regional guides) Or go south to Oaxaca and then the
coast near there. Or go to the Pacific through Puebla, Tlaxcala Orizaba
to Veracruz.

There is also a good Lonely Planet book about travelling with kids that
has a section about Mexico.

You really need to do more research about the areas of mexico that are
in your financial means and interests. Get out a map and plot the towns
and areas that interest you. read about them. Get to know a smaller area
rather than driving like mad across the country.

On one of our earlier trips with children we spent a week in Mexico
City, then a week in Oaxaca. On another trip we spent three weeks
travelling from Oaxaca to Chiapas. On another trip we started out in
Oaxaca and went on to Chiapas and into Guatemala. As we became familiar
with that area we and the children felt more confident.

Each trip gets easier but don't take huge bites unless you have
unlimited time and money in case things go wrong.

Mexico is a wonderful place to travel with children.

Oh and be sure to buy your kids a socccer ball! This is absolutely
essential!

Joy Hardie wrote:
[...]

wrote:

. ..

Old June 13th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Markku Grönroos

"H. Michel" wrote in message

Also, if you are interested in learning the language and meeting people,
don't dash around from one end to another. Stay put preferable in a
smaller town or the Mexican part of a large tourist town, so your
children can interact with local children. Acapulco has a huge tourist
section but if you stay in the Mexican part in a local small hotel you
will be surrounded by Spanish speakers.

One month back I stayed in a major hotel along La Costera and it seemed to
me that most other guests were Mexican.