Car Rental In USA

Old October 31st, 2004, 04:47 AM
Sal

Default Car Rental In USA

Which insurance coverages should I buy/decline when renting a car?

Thanks,
Sal
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:11 AM
Mark Brader

"Sal" writes:
Which insurance coverages should I buy/decline when renting a car?

How would we know?

If you're covered for something by some other insurance, decline
that coverage.

You may also wish to decline coverage if you wouldn't mind, in the
worst case, paying out whatever is the greatest amount that this
coverage would pay you or save you from paying. (For example, if
you're renting a car worth $30,000 and you wouldn't mind paying
$30,000 if it was stolen, you may wish to decline LDW. Yeah, right.
Where PEP is offered, declining it for this sort of reason is more
likely.)

Otherwise, don't be stupid -- buy the coverage.
--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Old October 31st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Sal" wrote in message
om...
Which insurance coverages should I buy/decline when renting a car?

If you live in the USA insurance might be covered by your own policy. If you
don't then it likely will not be and you should buy all of the available
insurance!

Old November 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
Dan Checkman

(SP Cook) wrote in message . com...
(Sal) wrote in message

Which insurance coverages should I buy/decline when renting a car?

If you are a North American resident with an insured car, that
insurance covers you when you drive other cars. An AMEX card, and
most Visa and Master Cards, also provide coverage. So you would need
NO insurance.

Not quite. As a general rule of thumb: auto insurance follows the
car, not the driver. All of the car rental companies in the United
States (and presumably the rest of North America) already provide
ample liability coverage (well in excess of the minimum legal
requirements of any state or Canadian province). Liability coverage
is required on all motor vehicles in the US (at least the ones on the
road), but not (or rarely) comprehensive/collision coverages. For
rental cars, this is the most common supplementary insurance offered
and is typically priced to match the riskiest drivers around. It is
often far more than you would ever pay (even as a high risk driver)
for the same coverage on your own vehicle. Without this coverage, the
driver can be held responsible for any comprehensive/collision type of
loss to the rental car, including theft (note that if you are
rear-ended and it isn't your fault, the coverage on the car
rear-ending you should actually cover any loss).

Considering that the main purpose of insurance is to provide financial
compensation in the event of a catastrophic loss, you need to
determine your own meaning of "catastrophic" (how much can you afford
to spend without forcing you into bankruptcy or selling your home or
experiencing some truly horrible financial hardship?). Basically, at
what point is it too much to pay for a loss. Likewise, the other
thing to consider is whether or not the insurance options available
provide the appropriate coverage at a price that you believe is fair.
Usually I decline all optional coverages.

By the way, every major car rental company in the US has a website and
all of their websites provide you with rate and coverage details
(include the terms and coverages on their liability insurance). It's
worth looking at this information before the agent at the rental
counter asks you whether or not you want to buy certain coverages.
You can also usually link to these details through Travelocity (look
at the "Fare Rules" or whatever corresponds to that section for rental
cars).
:-Dan