BWIA

Old September 30th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Reef Fish

Default BWIA

The first bit of trivia I learned was that when I asked an AA if
I could check my luggage to BWIA (British West Indies Airline) through
MIA (on an AA flight to MIA) without having to claim it in MIA and
recheck it to the international flight, and the agent thought I was
asking about AA flights from Baltimore (BWI).

Does anyone know the URL (link) for BWIA which gives the dimension
and weight allowance for checked baggage from MIA to various
Caribbean locations? I found a BWEE site when I searched for BWIA
that gave info for shipping cargos, but no not passenger baggage.

When I phoned the BWIA number and asked about the luggage allowance,
I was worried about the DOWN-SIZING from the US to tiny islands,
such as BWIA to Trinadad and then a short BWIA hop to Tobago.

The surprising answer I got (that's why I want to find it officially
on some BWIA webpage) was that each passenger is allowed TWO pieces
of checked luggage of 70 lbs each!!

Now a question for the AA fans or baggage gurus here.

AA coach allows only 50 lbs for each piece of checked luggage,
without having to pay a surcharge. But if it's checked in as an
INTERNATIONAL flight (even though the AA portion is domestic to MIA
only -- AA has an agreement with BWIA to check the luggage through),
will my checked baggage allowance be 70 lbs per piece without
a surcharge, or only 50 lbs per piece, so that the BWIA allowance
would shrink to the AA allowance?

Where can that information about AA policy be found in www.aa.com?

TIA,

-- Bob.
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:08 AM
mrtravel

Reef Fish wrote:

Where can that information about AA policy be found in www.aa.com?

TIA,

http://www.aa.com/content/customerSe...llowance.jhtml
says it varies by international destination.

found by searching google for "aa.com baggage"

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:44 PM
Reef Fish

mrtravel wrote in message m...
Reef Fish wrote:

Where can that information about AA policy be found in www.aa.com?

TIA,

http://www.aa.com/content/customerSe...llowance.jhtml
says it varies by international destination.

found by searching google for "aa.com baggage"

Thanks, mrtravel, for pointing me to that page.

Unfortunately, I am already familiar with most of the "usaable" info
on that page, but it doesn't address the SPECIFIC question I had:

50 lb per bag allowance on my AA domestic portion to MIA
70 lb per bag allowance on my BWIA portion from MIA to Trinadad/Tobago
AA has a check-through agreement with BWIA

Would I be allowed 50 lb per bag or 70 lb?

The website pointed ALL questions about international baggage to

"1-800-433-7300 for details"

which is what I try to avoid because it would mean talking to an
AA agent. If the rules are so complicated (and varied) that AA cannot
put it on the webpage, then it stands to reason that most of the
agents may not know the specifics either. Besides, whatever the
agents says on the phone may not be the same as what the agent says
at the check-in counter.

I have had enough experience with the fact-or-life that not all agents
are correct in what they say about "policies" that I KNOW because
they were clearly written. :-) When it comes to a policy that
depends on "word of mouth" at the "1-800-433-3700", my instinct says
it's probably not worth the sound-wave in which the voice travel.

At any rate, there's enough confusion among agents as to where I NEED
to check-in: one says either domestic or international because my
AA ticket is domestic; another said I must check in at the international
counter (2 hrs before flight time) because of the international
check-through.

Unless you have some info I don't have, I would assume what ANOTHER
airline told me, that the allowance would only be the domestic portion
of 50 lbs even though the BWIA international portion has a 70 lb
allowance per bag.

-- Bob.