Old April 12th, 2007, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Diana Ball

Default Status: passport renewal processing time

Hi, fellow travelers,

Get (or renew) your passports now! Processing times are very slow due to the
flurry of applications, and soon, you will need them for all travel outside
the US.

The State Department website is user friendly and makes the process a snap.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

RENEWAL BY MAIL-EXPEDITED: 3+ WEEKS
As soon as we got back from our last overseas trip, we mailed in our
passports for renewal. My husband needed his for a biz trip at the end of
April, so we paid the extra fee for expedited service. It arrived in the
mail today...so that was 23 days from deposit in mail to receipt in mail.
(We did not pay for overnight or other rush delivery.) They did NOT meet the
2-week turnaround time. However, the website update indicates they have
staffed up and are now back to 2-week expedited renewals.

RENEWAL BY MAIL-ROUTINE: My renewal...not marked "expedited"...has not been
acted on (but this is only day 23, or just into the 3rd week). The website
indicates processing of routine renewals is taking 10 weeks.

WHERE TO APPLY: TRY YOUR COURTHOUSE!
In another thread, there is a discussion of the limited hours at passport
offices (should you need to make a personal appearancel). Post offices are
popular places to go, but often have limited hours and long lines. My
favorite tip is to utilize your local courthouse if they offer passport
services (there's a handy search engine of passport offices on the official
website). In my experience, fewer people choose the courthouse passport
office, so the lines are shorter. Also, the hours often match official court
busines hours, e.g., 8-5, which makes it much easier for folks to juggle the
appointment with work, minors' school hours, etc.

Have passport, will travel!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Old April 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Diana Ball wrote:
Hi, fellow travelers,

Get (or renew) your passports now! Processing times are very slow due to the
flurry of applications, and soon, you will need them for all travel outside
the US.

The State Department website is user friendly and makes the process a snap.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Thanks for reminding me Diana, this has been on our list of things that
must get done soon. Now we just have to find out where to get our
passport photos taken locally.

sue
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Thanks for reminding me Diana, this has been on our list of things that
must get done soon. Now we just have to find out where to get our passport
photos taken locally.

sue

The best price around here is at Costco, if you're a member. Also, Wegman's
if fast, easy and low price.

--
Greg

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Gregory C. Read wrote:
"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Thanks for reminding me Diana, this has been on our list of things that
must get done soon. Now we just have to find out where to get our passport
photos taken locally.

sue

The best price around here is at Costco, if you're a member. Also, Wegman's
if fast, easy and low price.

We have a Sam's membership, but I am not sure if they do the photos or
not. Never thought to ask when we were there a few days ago.

Wegman's I never thought of, but will check their website or give them a
call.

thanks,
sue
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peri

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Thanks for reminding me Diana, this has been on our list of things that
must get done soon. Now we just have to find out where to get our
passport photos taken locally.

Sue, most Walgreens and RiteAids take them. Quick and cheap. I got
mine done at a local photo developing store, but those are becoming few
and far between these days.

~ Peri
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Peri wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Thanks for reminding me Diana, this has been on our list of things
that must get done soon. Now we just have to find out where to get our
passport photos taken locally.

Sue, most Walgreens and RiteAids take them. Quick and cheap. I got
mine done at a local photo developing store, but those are becoming few
and far between these days.

I think most of the large, chain drugstores take them, we just haven't
gotten there yet. I have to make a couple of phone calls to find out
where the easiest place is for us.

thanks,
sue
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Diana Ball wrote:

Hi, fellow travelers,

Get (or renew) your passports now! Processing times are very slow due to the
flurry of applications, and soon, you will need them for all travel outside
the US.

snip
Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Diana it will be a good bit until the requirement kicks in and the
idiots in Washington have shifted the restrictions so often that I
winder if they ever will,

A passport can be useful and simplify your life but don't believe the
draconian pronouncements about requirements.

Old April 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

Gregory C. Read wrote:

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Thanks for reminding me Diana, this has been on our list of things
that must get done soon. Now we just have to find out where to get
our passport photos taken locally.

sue

The best price around here is at Costco, if you're a member. Also,
Wegman's if fast, easy and low price.

We have a Sam's membership, but I am not sure if they do the photos or
not. Never thought to ask when we were there a few days ago.

Wegman's I never thought of, but will check their website or give them a
call.

thanks,
sue

AAA, most copy centers, and most photo printers in places like drug
stores will do photos.

Old April 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

SUE:
the burlington,moorestown,and cherry hill malls all have plces you can
have your passport photo's taken,and in moorestown mall they have a
place for burlington county residents where you can get your passports.
It is located down by the alcove before you get to macy's it is on the
left opposite lord and taylor.

cruise lover

Old April 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Diana Ball

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:
Diana it will be a good bit until the requirement kicks in and the idiots
in Washington have shifted the restrictions so often that I winder if they
ever will,

A passport can be useful and simplify your life but don't believe the
draconian pronouncements about requirements.

Hi, Frank,

Right now, if you don't have a passport, the only places in the world you
can go are Canada, Mexico and the islands, and then only by land or boat. So
I'd have to say that WITHOUT a passport, the restrictions on your freedom to
travel are pretty darn draconian. Those who continue to resist because all
the travel they ever intend to do is cruise the Caribbean, Bermuda or Alaska
(thus involving Canada) must have wings! I don't know how else they plan to
get back to the US in the event of emergency.

Thanks, Frank, for letting me get up on my little soapbox again to urge
folks to quit fooling around and just go get their passports!!!

Happy travels,

Diana