Spring in the Rocky Mountains

Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:23 PM
J.H.Jongejan

adjgiulio wrote:
Thanks a lot for the advice. I really appreciate it.
I do have 24 days but I'm still thinking of deleting some stop to have more
time for the others.
I'll surely stay 5 days in Yellowstone, 3 in the Grand Tetons and 2 in the
Rocky Mountains.
I'm still thinking about how to distribute the remaining days.
Which of the parks I included in the original list do you think can be
enjoyable in just one day?
Parks such as Sand Dunes, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado NM,
Dinosaur NM look quite small. Are they enjoyable in just one day? I'd like
to get a general idea of the park and have a chance for at least one hike.

Gulio,

I visited Dinosaur NM 2 years ago. The visitor centre is interesting,
but you don't need more than 2 hours. There is a short walk to the
river, at the foot of Split Mountain; often rafters make their landing
there. There is an old farm (used to be the house of an 80yr old lady,
that kept animals there during the late 19th century. No one around,
truly brave! Think about lots of snow in the winter and you can picture
pure isolation for months. You can look into the buidlings and can take
a short hike (30 minutes) to a canyon, that she used to round up her
animals. Neat! In total this part takes an hour.

In Grand Teton NP, be sure to take the tramway. It gets you above
10,000 ft, with wonderful views. A walk around Jenny Lake and up to
Inspiration Point (?) is a 1,5 hr walk that is a must too.
Early, many of the longer hikes will still have lots of snow.

Regards, and have fun,

Jan Jongejan
Dept. Comp.Sci.,
Univ. of Groningen,
Netherlands.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:58 AM
adjgiulio

"J.H.Jongejan" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Jan for your advice!

Ciao, Giulio

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''
Travellers
http://www.travellersonline.net
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''

Partecipa alle Open-FAQ sui Natural Parks USA
"Regala una risposta, aiuta un turista"

Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:01 AM
adjgiulio

"Martin" wrote in message

I've never been to the Great Sand Dunes (yet) but everyone that goes
tells me that it is really a neat place and worth seeing. Same for
the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I visited Dinosaur NM a long time
ago and the visitors center was quite interesting. There is also some
interesting scenerey around there. Don't know much about Colorado NM.

If you're going to the Sand Dunes from Denver, you might as well stop
in Colorado Springs since you'll drive right through it. The US Air
Force Academy just north of Colo. Springs is nice to visit with some
good mountain scenery (depending on the security condition, visitors
might not be allowed in). The Garden of the Gods park in Colo.
Springs has some magnificent rock formations that are neat and can be
seen in an hour or two. Colo. Springs is also the home of one of the
U.S. Olympic Training Centers which I highly recommend visiting. You
might also be interested in visiting Pikes Peak on the west side of
Colo. Springs. Pikes Peak is one of the few easily accessible 14,000
foot mountains in the state with a magnificent view. The Royal Gorge
is located to the south which boasts the world's highest suspension
bridge. The Arkansas River flows through the Gorge and is popular
with white-water rafters in the spring.

On your trip between Rocky Mountain National Park and Denver, you
should stop in Boulder. The Flatirons rock formation form a wall on
the west side of the city of Boulder and there are many hiking trails
very close to city of Boulder and up nearby Boulder Canyon.

Martin, thanks for your advice. I've so much to see and not all the time I'd
need!

Ciao, Giulio