Too bad for Easyjet and Ryanair

Old August 11th, 2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Pete

Default Too bad for Easyjet and Ryanair

Easyjet and Ryanair were recently attempting to entirely eliminate free
checked baggage on their planes. Now all of their planes leaving the
UK will have nothing but checked baggage. Too bad, so sad.

Pete

Old August 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Padraig Breathnach

"Pete" wrote:

Easyjet and Ryanair were recently attempting to entirely eliminate free
checked baggage on their planes. Now all of their planes leaving the
UK will have nothing but checked baggage. Too bad, so sad.

I gather, from a radio interview with one of their managers, that
Ryanair will continue to charge for checked baggage. So they win.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
I gather, from a radio interview with one of their managers, that
Ryanair will continue to charge for checked baggage. So they win.

Since their flights are generaly short, it is less of a problem to not
have any hand luggage. (although this will likely be relaxed shortly to
allow hand luggage but not liquids, and later on hopefully return to normal).

For hoodlums using Ryannair to go to see footbal games, they don't need
any checked luggage. They can just buy their beer at destination. But
for tourists using Ryannair to travel for the weekend, stuff such as
cameras etc are not somethingt you prefer to put in checked luggage.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the channel train
services. (Eurotunnel recently entered bankrupcy protection). I think
that the uglieness in air travel will push more people to drive across
the pond or just take the train.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Lennart Petersen

"nobody" skrev i meddelandet
It will be interesting to see what happens to the channel train
services. (Eurotunnel recently entered bankrupcy protection). I think
that the uglieness in air travel will push more people to drive across
the pond or just take the train.

----------------------
Eurostar isn't bankrupt and is doing a good profit already.

Old August 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"nobody" skrev i meddelandet
It will be interesting to see what happens to the channel train
services. (Eurotunnel recently entered bankrupcy protection). I think
that the uglieness in air travel will push more people to drive across
the pond or just take the train.

----------------------
Eurostar isn't bankrupt and is doing a good profit already.

I said EUROTUNNEL was bankrupt. Eurostar is making a profit because it
is just a customer of EUROTUNNEL and doesn't have to pay back the huge
debts incurred when the tunnel was built.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Rog'

Lennart Petersen wrote:
I think that the uglieness in air travel will push more
people to drive across the pond or just take the train.

To those of us in the States, "the pond" refers to the
Atlantic. Sadly, we do not have much choice. =R=

Old August 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Arwel Parry

In message , nobody
writes
It will be interesting to see what happens to the channel train
services. (Eurotunnel recently entered bankrupcy protection). I think
that the uglieness in air travel will push more people to drive across
the pond or just take the train.

Note that *Eurotunnel* is the tunnel operator and if they go broke it
just means that the British and French governments get the tunnel back
earlier than 2042 and a lot of banks have a bit of a problem. The
passenger train operator is *Eurostar*.

Yesterday a plane passenger was transferring to Eurostar every 10
seconds, according to one of the newspaper sites I read today.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Trish[_1_]

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
"Pete" wrote:

Easyjet and Ryanair were recently attempting to entirely eliminate free
checked baggage on their planes. Now all of their planes leaving the
UK will have nothing but checked baggage. Too bad, so sad.

I gather, from a radio interview with one of their managers, that
Ryanair will continue to charge for checked baggage. So they win.

Word is that Lying Air were charging STG5 for a bottle of water on their
flights yesterday - when people were forced to leave all bottles behind.

--
Trish

Dublin

Old August 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pete wrote:

Easyjet and Ryanair were recently attempting to entirely eliminate free
checked baggage on their planes. Now all of their planes leaving the
UK will have nothing but checked baggage. Too bad, so sad.

And that means it must by definition be "free"? Just
because it's compulsor to check it means that they cannot
charge for checking it? How do you arrive at that conclusion?