Oceania Amazon cruise

Old February 12th, 2004, 05:01 PM
KathyDFrog

Default Oceania Amazon cruise

I just placed a deposit on Oceania's 2005 cruise of the Amazon. Does anyone
know the scoop on mandatory shots for things like yellow fever or malaria?
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM
kayc

Hi! When we did the Amazon a few years ago, yellow fever shots were
mandatory if you went into the interior, such as down the Amazon. Malaria
medication was recommended, but not required. We did both with no problems
or side effects. By the way, it was a fabulous trip.

Smooth cruisin', Kay

Old February 12th, 2004, 08:15 PM
LJ

You must have a yellow fever shot. Despite the fact that Brazil says you
don't need it if coming from the US, cruise lines do require it. Some
people take the malaria prevention drugs although the risk is small. Nothing
else is mandatory. Be sure your visa is in order. The Brazilians don't
make it easy to visit there!

Joan

Old March 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM
burris

LJ wrote:

You must have a yellow fever shot. Despite the fact that Brazil says you
don't need it if coming from the US, cruise lines do require it. Some
people take the malaria prevention drugs although the risk is small. Nothing
else is mandatory. Be sure your visa is in order. The Brazilians don't
make it easy to visit there!

Joan

"KathyDFrog" wrote in message
I just placed a deposit on Oceania's 2005 cruise of the Amazon. Does

anyone
know the scoop on mandatory shots for things like yellow fever or malaria?

Just returned from a cruise on the Minerva II/ Swan Hellenic Line. Great
trip and a wonderful experience in every way. Started in Buenos
Aires...then up the East coast of Brazil...across the Amazon..ending in
Manaus. About 16 days. "All" tipping included as well as all the excursions.

Brazil absolutely required yellow fever certificates in order to enter
the country from any of the ports. Anti-malaria was not mandatory.

On the ship of about 583 passengers, 38 were Americans..the rest mostly U.K.
When we docked in Rio, the Amsterdam was already in port and the
authorities estimated that it would take most of the day to clear them
before coming to us.
Our cruise line intervened and the authorities agreed to clear our ship
immediately in order to for us to begin the touring, providing that the
Americans would make a stop in the card room upon returning to the ship
at the end of the day. What a great gesture...the whole process took 30
seconds...pix and electronic fingerprint and we were off.

burris