Snorkeling and Boating Report Daniels Island Sea Gardens Bermuda

Old August 11th, 2004, 12:39 AM
PegNDerek

Default Snorkeling and Boating Report Daniels Island Sea Gardens Bermuda

Snorkeling/Boating Report
For all Snorkelers, Boaters and for Tom Kanitra's Website:
http://www.cruisereviews.com/info/snorkeling.htm

Daniel's Island Sea Gardens (Robinson's Marina, Somerset Bridge)
Privately Arranged Excursion While the Ship Was Docked In Hamilton
Ship: Zenith (Celebrity Cruises)
Sailing Date: July 24, 2004
Date of Boating/Snorkel: July 26, 2004
Equipment Availability: we have our own which we take with us, but the
extended family that operates the Marina (the Robinsons) has a supply
of snorkels, masks, fins and vests available for rental.
Water Access: Ladder off the Side of Our Boston Whaler. NOT
recommended for any people of large girth (like us).
This was a real first for us. After many months of deliberating
whether or not to purchase our own boat (a decision that will still be
under consideration for at least another 5 years-or more), we decided
that we should give boating a try just to see what it is like. Since
Bermuda is littered with calm waters on which the uninitiated can
learn and practice, with plenty of great spots for both boating and
snorkeling, we thought this would be the perfect opportunity to see
what it is all about. We searched the internet and selected
Robinson's Marina primarily based on their rates (a fully equipped
Boston Whaler for 4 hours plus the cost of fuel was only $129), their
location near Somerset, and the fact that (in a pinch) they would
accept a credit card for payment-all others insisted on cash only. We
called and made a reservation for July 26, six weeks prior to our
sailing on the Zenith.
Ferry Service from Hamilton to Somerset Bridge was easy ($8 each round
trip), and our walk up the road to Somerset Bridge from the Ferry stop
was mercifully short, especially since we were bringing our heavily
laden snorkeling bag. We arrived over an hour before our appointment,
and Mr. Robinson kindly drove us into the village of Somerset so that
we could have some lunch (Somerset Country Squire Restaurant and
Pub-excellent shrimp appetizers and burgers with a gorgeous view of
Mangrove Bay). We called for a cab back to the Marina. There is no
other local facility for a meal.
Our Boston Whaler was indeed completely equipped and we were given an
hour's worth of indoctrination, both to the operation of the boat and
the navigation of the local waters. Plastic laminated maps on
board-already marked for good snorkeling spots in the Sea
Gardens-helped enormously, and we were off!
The boating was fantastic-even Peg got used to driving the Whaler!
For anyone who wants to try his/her hand at driving a boat, THIS is
the way to learn and have great fun at the same time! We anchored off
Daniel's Island and Derek went snorkeling-for 20 minutes during which
time he saw a grand total of three fish (one Gillenborg, one Queen
Angelfish and one immature Sergeant Major). Visibility was terrible,
especially given the amount of boats that use this area to view the
sunken wreck of the Vixen. Peg decided not to snorkel, especially
once she saw what a terrible time Derek had getting back into the
boat, even with the assistance of the ladder! So, we boated for the
rest of our allotted time and had a blast surveying the area around
Somerset, out to King's Point, under the Watford Bridge (where the
waters became very choppy with late afternoon winds) and back again,
re-tracing our path to the Marina.

Boating Grade: A+
Snorkeling Grade: F

"Scientists' say intelligent life