seeking Guatemala advice

Old February 24th, 2004, 09:08 AM
dajaxon

Default seeking Guatemala advice

Saftey is my main concern. I will be flying to Guatemala City then going
west to cela

what bus is safe to travel on?
are car rentals advisable?
any unsafe stretches of raod or times of day to avoid?
is it OK to take pictures of people in the markets without asking
permission?
OK to drink water? or stick with bottled drink?
cost of living? Hotels seem rather expensive - what else is expensive?
how are the police?
how are customs?

any flights between cities on small commercial air or private planes
possible from Guatemala City?
please write to me at

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Andreas Cloos

dajaxon wrote:

Saftey is my main concern. I will be flying to Guatemala City then going
west to cela

Hi,

I will do the same the next days. For the fourth time ;-)

what bus is safe to travel on?

Alamo or Galgos. You can find the adresses and the timetable on my page
http://juansisay.com/en_guateciudad.htm. Busses need about 4 to 4.30h
for the way, it is said not to take busses travelling at night time. So
avoid busses leaving the capitcal after 3 p.m.

are car rentals advisable?

IMHO not. Too expensive, strange way of driving there and you need to
find your way in the capital as well.

any unsafe stretches of raod or times of day to avoid?

See above.

is it OK to take pictures of people in the markets without asking
permission?

This is more a don't than a do ;-) Not only in Guatemala, but especially
there and even more if you want to take pictures of children.

OK to drink water? or stick with bottled drink?

No, yes.

cost of living? Hotels seem rather expensive - what else is expensive?

Hotels are between 40Q to 60 USD (or even more) a night, depending on
what you are looking for. If you want to stay in a fairly chaep place in
Xela go for Casa Argentina.

how are the police?

Never had problems with them.

how are customs?

Ok as well, customs in the airport have been friendly all the time as
long as I know them.

any flights between cities on small commercial air or private planes
possible from Guatemala City?

Maybe, Inter just serves the capital and Flores in Guateala.

please write to me at

No, why? This is a newsgroup. Questions pop up here, answers also.

--
Saludos, Andreas
Hilfe für Kinder in Guatemala:

Old February 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Richard Ferguson

There are several web sites with security information for
travelers and tourists. The ones that I am aware of are
listed below. I urge people to review the information on
these web sites, compare the recommendations of the various
countries to each other, and compare the various government
recommendations to any personal opinions expressed on the
internet.

The government web sites below include security and
other travel information for virtually all the countries in
the world, including each other.

USA - http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

UK - http://www.fco.gov.uk

Canada -
http://voyage.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/destinations/menu_e.htm

Australia -
http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice/advices_mnu.html

The following web sites offer personal or other views on
security.

Mexico Mike talks about security on Mexico's highways on
www.mexicomike.com

Personal reports for some countries in latin america are
available from the South American Explorer's club -
www.samexplo.org

http://www.beingsafe.info/ claims to list global travel
advisories.

Some travel agents and some employees of large companies may
have access to private security report services. Some
travel web sites will also have some limited security
information, such as www.latinamericatravel.com. Note that
most good guidebooks will also discuss security, and may
offer security advice specific to the town or area.

If you are aware of any other english-language security
information on the web, please let me know.

IN OTHER LANGUAGES

The Canadian information is also available in French, at the
website above.

The French government has their own web site with security
information, in French. http://www.diplomatie.fr/voyageurs

Spain's Ministry of Foreign Affairs - http://www.mae.es/

Germany - http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/d...e_warnung_html

Richard Ferguson

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:19 AM
clint

Concerning bus travel....if you are not a female, dress as one(preferably an
elderly one.) You will be safe, and treated with respect and
affection(remember to shave!)

Old February 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM
dajaxon

There are several web sites with security information for
travelers and tourists. The ones that I am aware of are
listed below. I urge people to review the information on
these web sites, compare the recommendations of the various
countries to each other, and compare the various government
recommendations to any personal opinions expressed on the
internet.

--------------
I don't think the information you are pointing to is as current as travelers
in these groups

Old February 25th, 2004, 07:50 AM
dajaxon

"dajaxon" wrote in message
Saftey is my main concern. I will be flying to Guatemala City then going
west to cela

===============
you have to wonder sometimes.
most helpful hint Clint.

actually if I act like you then I should be safe is what you are saying?

Old February 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM
dajaxon

I'm changing plans and going to Maui - same cost by air and much friendlier
thanks for everyone's input

Old February 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
beemerphile

"dajaxon" wrote in message
I'm changing plans and going to Maui - same cost by air and much

friendlier
thanks for everyone's input

Too bad.....the experience you have in Maui will last you two weeks. The
sights and experiences you'll miss by not going to Guatemala would have
lasted a lifetime......Howard

Old February 25th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Miguel Cruz

dajaxon wrote:
Saftey is my main concern. I will be flying to Guatemala City then going
west to cela

what bus is safe to travel on?
are car rentals advisable?

I'd say no. You can get a plain or fancy bus depending on your taste and
budget - or even hire a car with driver.

any unsafe stretches of raod or times of day to avoid?

Don't drive after dark, except in areas with lots of traffic or in a beat-up
car driven by a local.

is it OK to take pictures of people in the markets without asking
permission?

Nobody's going to come after you with a pitchfork, but it's rude.

OK to drink water? or stick with bottled drink?

Everyone seems to insist that the water is unsafe, but I've spent a fair bit
of time working there over multiple trips in the past few years, always
drank tap water (in hotels, restaurants, offices, and homes), and never had
the slightest problem.

cost of living? Hotels seem rather expensive - what else is expensive?

Everything. It's Central America, which is an expensive region to travel in
by world standards. If you want cheap, go to Asia, eastern Europe, or the
Middle East. That said, it's still a little cheaper than the USA.

how are the police?

Nice enough.

how are customs?

Fast asleep.

please write to me at

No, it's a newsgroup.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu/