Kenya camping tours

Old August 31st, 2007, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Richard G. Gould

Default Kenya camping tours

We're looking for recommendations of a Kenya-based company that offers 8-10
day camping tours from Nairobi (to the traditional places: Masai Mara, Lake
Nakuru, Lake Baringo, Naivasha, Amboseli, Ngorongoro) . Tenting yes, but
preferably not bare-bones tenting. Does anyone have any experience with, or
comments on "Prime Time Safaris, Ltd."?
Rick

Old August 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
rigs

Hi Richard, eric here from kichaka safaris. we do offer camping
safaris to the destinations of your request. We deliver what we quote
at kichaka safaris. please avail me your contacts and i can send you a
detailed itinerary.
Thank you
Eric marigi
Kichaka Safaris
Email:
www.kichakasafaris.com
Cell No: +254-721-914649
Karibu Kenya

Old August 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:46:41 GMT, Richard G. Gould wrote:

We're looking for recommendations of a Kenya-based company that offers 8-10
day camping tours from Nairobi (to the traditional places: Masai Mara, Lake
Nakuru, Lake Baringo, Naivasha, Amboseli, Ngorongoro) . Tenting yes, but
preferably not bare-bones tenting.

Rick,

sorry, no direct answer to your question, but a few remarks.

These are too many destinations for 8-10 days. Prune them a
little.

Ngorongoro is in Tanzania, not Kenya, and it would take some
time to get there. It may be much easier to skip that too.

There are several companies offering both cheap and luxury
camping safaris. You could write an email to

Judy & Mike Rainy mjrainy©africaonline.co.ke (retype the
address, don't copy it).

and ask them for advice. They do quality safaris. Mention my
name: Hans-Georg Michna

You could also read http://michna.com/kenya.htm , which contains
some useful information, particularly check lists on what to
take with you.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message RxJBi.3358$xg.413@trnddc05
"Richard G. Gould" wrote:

We're looking for recommendations of a Kenya-based company that offers 8-10
day camping tours from Nairobi (to the traditional places: Masai Mara, Lake
Nakuru, Lake Baringo, Naivasha, Amboseli, Ngorongoro) . Tenting yes, but
preferably not bare-bones tenting. Does anyone have any experience with, or
comments on "Prime Time Safaris, Ltd."?

Can't help you with camping advice, but I totally agree with
Hans-Georg: these are far too many places for 8-10 days, and very
spread apart. Although they may look close on the map, the roads
between them aren't that great, and depending on the season and when
the roads were last repaired, your speed could be very slow.
You want to either cut down severely on the places or (preferably)
expand your trip to at least a fortnight if at all possible.
I agree with Hans-Georg about possibly missing Ngorongoro, it's a big
detour and it's contiguous with Masai Mara, so more-or-less the same
animals/birds. BUT it depends when your trip is - if the migration if
in Ngorongoro at the time of your trip, it might be better to rethink
your plans and consider northern Tanzania. You could - just - do the
Northern Circuit of Tz in 10 days (we did it in 12). That's
Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara, Tarangire and Serengeti, usually with a
short visit to Olduvai Gorge, if you are interested.

I notice you mention Lake Baringo. I'm a major Lake Baringo fan, but
it's quite a distance out of your way - the most normal way to get
there is from Samburu/Buffalo Springs via Nyahururu (Thomson's Falls).
If you're interested in birds, don't miss it. Stay at the camp right
next to Lake Baringo Club. Make contact with Cliff Waller, a local man
who is an excellent bird guide. (He was talking of 'retiring' last
July, but he was training up others in the village (Kampi ya Samaki)
as bird guides.

If you're not particularly interested in birds, you can skip Lake
Baringo and probably Lake Naivasha as well.

If you are mainly interested in birds, then reluctantly you might have
to miss Amboseli. I love Amboseli too - it's fantastic for elephants,
and if you're lucky you get the classic view of Mt Kilimanjaro - but
it's often covered with cloud for days at a time. But again, it's a
big distance off the rest of your trip.

You don't want to be spending the majority of your trip travelling
from place to place, especially if you are also having to spend time
pitching tents, cooking, doing chores etc.

Honestly, move heaven and hell to get more time to spend on safari.
You really won't regret it.

Safari njema

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos

Old September 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
the_niner_nation

"Richard G. Gould" wrote in message
We're looking for recommendations of a Kenya-based company that offers
8-10 day camping tours from Nairobi (to the traditional places: Masai
Mara, Lake Nakuru, Lake Baringo, Naivasha, Amboseli, Ngorongoro) .
Tenting yes, but preferably not bare-bones tenting. Does anyone have any
experience with, or comments on "Prime Time Safaris, Ltd."?
Rick

Hi Richard..I am going soon on an 'overlanding' safari in kenya for 15 days
with intrepid..I have only ever camped once in my life ( in Yosemite,
California), their itenary includes all the places you mentioned for £690
GBP exclusive of flights. I can send you feed back when i get back if you
like..overlanding isn't the 'best' safari option, but it's my only
affordable one!!