Indian Golden Triangle Tours

Old October 25th, 2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

Default Indian Golden Triangle Tours

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 24, 6:39 pm, "William Black"
wrote:
"Alan S" wrote in message

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:18:48 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

And don't take pictures of cremations.

He won't see any.

Presumably I would be breaking some taboo or courtesy
custom?

No Idea.

I've spent about a third of the past two years in India and I've only
seen
one, and that was of a senior politician held in Shivaji Park in Bombay
where there were TV cameras and more press photographers than you could
shake a stick at.

As a general rule funeral rites don't happen in the places where tourists
go to.

What about Varanasi?

Never been.

Anyone who wants to take pictures of funerals is, in my opinion, more than
a touch odd.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:45:06 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

Indian doctors don't like their patients injecting themselves because one
feature of Indian life is the commonly held theory that of some medicine
is
good for you then more should be better for you...

This is not normally considered a good policy for injecting diabetics.

Works spectacularly in the short term...of course, there is
no long term.

I thought there was a kind of patient pressure on Indian doctors to offer
injectable medicines rather than oral. The perception is that as it's more
invasive it must do more good.

Depends on the Indian.

The Indian Christian culture seems generally to be a great believer in Hindu
traditional medicine, the Hindu community seems to prefer Western medicine,
the Muslim community seems not to wander from itself too much.

In my experience Indians do rather tend to hypochondria.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

"Angel" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi Alan

Namaste !!!

Welcome to india . My name is Sonam and am working with travel agency
in New Delhi ,it is always advisible to take the services of tour
operator if you want to enjoy your travel without any tensions.I
myself is working in a travel agency & would love to serve you when
in india .As i think you must have done some research on india or if
you want more information regarding travelling in india you can mail
me at ) or .
we can arrange your trip to india at a cost of $700-800/- in all .

Visitors should watch out for dodgy travel operators in India, especially
around Delhi.

Dodgy everything round Delhi.

Most of the rest of India won't do business with people from Delhi...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 6:02 am, "grusl" wrote:
"Angel" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi Alan

Namaste !!!

Welcome to india . My name is Sonam and am working with travel agency
in New Delhi ,it is always advisible to take the services of tour
operator if you want to enjoy your travel without any tensions.I
myself is working in a travel agency & would love to serve you when
in india .As i think you must have done some research on india or if
you want more information regarding travelling in india you can mail
me at ) or .
we can arrange your trip to india at a cost of $700-800/- in all .

Visitors should watch out for dodgy travel operators in India, especially
around Delhi.

Most tourists start out there, so it's the logical place to rip off
new arrivals who don't know what to expect and how to handle
themselves.

Old October 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 25, 6:02 am, "grusl" wrote:
"Angel" wrote in message

[...]

Which is interesting.

Many Golden Triangle tours seem to start in Delhi and have a week sitting on
a beach in Goa or Kerala at the end.

Clever tourists, almost invariably independents or people who are going to
India on a subsequent visit, start by sitting on the same beach
acclimatising themselves before the tour.

The trick seems to be to get the climate/cultural/food shocks over with
before you start on the tourist trail.

My really good tip for tourists in India is to go shopping in Bombay on the
way home.

Mind you, two pairs of prescription spectacles bought in Bombay will save
you more than the price of the air tickets there from Europe.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

"William Black" wrote in message

Many Golden Triangle tours seem to start in Delhi and have a week sitting
on a beach in Goa or Kerala at the end.

Clever tourists, almost invariably independents or people who are going
to India on a subsequent visit, start by sitting on the same beach
acclimatising themselves before the tour.

The trick seems to be to get the climate/cultural/food shocks over with
before you start on the tourist trail.

My really good tip for tourists in India is to go shopping in Bombay on
the way home.

Mind you, two pairs of prescription spectacles bought in Bombay will save
you more than the price of the air tickets there from Europe.

I think if Delhi had been my first port of call, I might not have moved to
India at all. As it was, it was Madras/Chennai, which is also awful on so
many levels but at least it made Bangalore an easy choice. Still, I'd give
Calcutta/Kolkata a shot, and Hyderabad too (weather permitting on both
counts) and I'm quite fond of Vishakapatnam of all places, but I realise its
limitations as a place to live. I haven't seen enough of the north to make
any kind of call, but Simla/Shimla was disappointing, as was Jaipur.

Goa is on the "to do" list, just to say I've been there, but my expectations
are not high.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Oct 25, 1:17 pm, "William Black"
wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 25, 6:02 am, "grusl" wrote:
"Angel" wrote in message
Visitors should watch out for dodgy travel operators in India, especially
around Delhi.

Most tourists start out there, so it's the logical place to rip off
new arrivals who don't know what to expect and how to handle
themselves.

Which is interesting.

Many Golden Triangle tours seem to start in Delhi and have a week sitting on
a beach in Goa or Kerala at the end.

Delhi - Varanasi - Agra - Rajasthan - Mumbai is common also.

Clever tourists, almost invariably independents or people who are going to
India on a subsequent visit, start by sitting on the same beach
acclimatising themselves before the tour.

Or start in the South and work your way North rather than the other
way around.

The trick seems to be to get the climate/cultural/food shocks over with
before you start on the tourist trail.

Also it depends how much general Third World travel experience you
have.

If you've seen extreme poverty before, are used to people trying to
rip you off, are not expecting luxury conditions, and know how to
reduce your risk of getting sick, then you will have a much easier
time in India.

If you have never been to the Third World before, chances are you will
be overwhelmed by the poverty, heat, pollution and scams. India is a
much more difficult destination for an inexperienced traveler than
somewhere like Thailand or Morocco.

Old October 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

Goa is on the "to do" list, just to say I've been there, but my
expectations are not high.

To be honest it's a lot worse than it was a couple of years ago.

The towns are full of package tourists, sinister looking Russians and
people looking something like hippies looked a couple of decades ago, but
without any girls, and Indians who think a drunken night out is a novelty.
Layered on top of this is a rapidly shrinking semi-permanent European
population who are fleeing to other bits of India (or even Thailand)
because the cost of living in Goa is almost as high as the UK these days.

The beaches are still nice and empty, if you put the time and trouble into
finding a nice empty one, and the food is still exceptional if you can find
someone who will cook you real Goan food and not 'chips with everything'
tourist trash and the booze is dead cheap and if you can find some home-made
Fenny you're in for a treat.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

wrote in message
oups.com...

If you have never been to the Third World before, chances are you will
be overwhelmed by the poverty, heat, pollution and scams. India is a
much more difficult destination for an inexperienced traveler than
somewhere like Thailand or Morocco.

I'm always astonished by Europeans in their twenties walking about India in
dark coloured 'combat' shorts and a 'heavy metal' T-shirt, often seen
carrying a huge back-pack, who seem amazed that the locals treat them as a
sort of walking wallet.

On the other hand if you make a small effort to speak a word or two of the
local language and dress in a suitable/acceptable manner (and hire someone
to carry your baggage) you'll find the locals are delighted and that their
English improves beyond all measure.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

On the other hand if you make a small effort to speak a word or two of the
local language and dress in a suitable/acceptable manner (and hire someone
to carry your baggage) you'll find the locals are delighted and that their
English improves beyond all measure.

Word or two just won't carry you anywhere. "Heavy metal" T-shirts are both
suitable and acceptable. If local people saw this differently, it is their
business. Of course anyone (especially slender ones) can hire porters.