Travelling to India with a laptop?

Old November 8th, 2003, 01:15 AM
freeda

Default Travelling to India with a laptop?

Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of
travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to buy
additional equipment?

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

You have made a wise choice with you laptop. I don't think even the poorest
person in the world with nick it.

Old November 10th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Rohit

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The power adapter says 110-240v input
so I guess it might work there as well. I don't know how the plug sockets
are there, but the notebook adapter plug is 2-pinned. I do hope the modem
works though, I will have files I would need to transfer from the laptop to
the internet on a daily basis from there

"Rohit" wrote in message
Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of

travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to buy
additional equipment?

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

Thanks
Rohit

Old November 10th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Anders

angelbiatch wrote:

1) You can sort out the power issues when you get here. Converters are
available very cheap from any electronics shop.

2) Yes

3) Any decent laptop carrying case will do, but for trains I suggest
getting yourself some sort of a locking mechanism on it.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 04:30:50 -0500, Rohit wrote:

Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to buy
additional equipment?

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

Thanks
Rohit

India uses the International standard! 230 V 50 Hz, no problems
whatsoever.

Standard European plugs work fine, no need for any plug adaptors.

A modern Laptop power supply usually works from 90-230 V, check it up, I
am sure it works just perfect, but check it up before connecting.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:53 PM
James Robinson

Rohit wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The power adapter says 110-240v input
so I guess it might work there as well. I don't know how the plug sockets
are there, but the notebook adapter plug is 2-pinned.

By two-pinned, I assume you mean the North American standard. You will
therefore need a simple adapter plug, which typically costs less than
$5. They are often available at some airport shops, luggage or travel
accessory shops, or Radio Shack. You can probably get by with the round
two-pin type used in Europe, rather than the three pin type with the
grounding pin.

Here is a drawing of the two-pin plug:

http://www.kropla.com/!c.htm

And some photos of the typical receptacles in India:

http://www.kropla.com/india_electric_outlets.htm

As far as phone connections go, you should be able to use the standard
US connector (RJ-11). Some phones may not have it, but they will be the
minority, particularly in hotels or offices.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Chuckles

"Rohit" wrote in news:OVHrb.26$J3.169@testbox:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The power adapter says 110-240v
input so I guess it might work there as well. I don't know how the
plug sockets are there, but the notebook adapter plug is 2-pinned. I
do hope the modem works though, I will have files I would need to
transfer from the laptop to the internet on a daily basis from there

Where are you getting your internet service?

You can go to vsnl.net and sign up for an account at a modest price for x
hours of usage. Much easier/cheaper than international dialing or some of
those ripoff roaming services offered by western ISPs.

VSNL is not the best ISP in the world, but they do have local dial-in
numbers in most cities; other Indian ISPs have less comprehensive coverage.
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Ken Tough

"Rohit" wrote:

Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

The world's best bags for carrying laptops (IMHO) are made by Hedgren.
(www.hedgren.com). Not cheap, but fantastic stuff.

I use the hup02l (Utopia collection) backpack which has exactly the
pockets you need for travel or work. Places to hold cellphone, keys &
change, passports, cables, mouse, etc. The key is the padded thin
(abt 3 cm) compartment close to your back where you carry the laptop.
Fits snugly, well protected etc. They have enough space (and enough
styles) that you can get one to act as your only carry-on bag.

Having a separate "briefcase style" laptop bag is a bad idea for
several reasons:
1) it is a bulls-eye for muggers
2) it's annoying to have to carry something in your hand
3) it likely won't be big enough to carry everything you want,
so you also need a separate knapsack anyway.

This one you can sling over your front when you want to keep
close eye, and will always pass as carry-on. Nasties won't
generally suspect you have a computer in a knapsack. You can
get one of the larger styles if you also want to carry a day
or two's worth of clothes or whatever. You can quickly zip
open the laptop compartment and slip out the laptop without
having to dig around through all your other stuff, when you
need to make some quick clicks.

Anyway, obviously I can't recommend them enough.

--
Ken Tough
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Alfred Molon

In article ,
says...

The world's best bags for carrying laptops (IMHO) are made by Hedgren.
(
www.hedgren.com). Not cheap, but fantastic stuff.

Oh well, you probably have never heard of Dicota (www.dicota.com). Has
all the hedgren has and even more (an integrated rain cover for
instance).
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Ken Tough

Alfred Molon wrote

says...
The world's best bags for carrying laptops (IMHO) are made by Hedgren.
(
www.hedgren.com). Not cheap, but fantastic stuff.

Oh well, you probably have never heard of Dicota (www.dicota.com). Has
all the hedgren has and even more (an integrated rain cover for
instance).

You're right, I never heard of them. I had a quick look at their
site, but they only seem to have two backpack models (one with
the rain hood, one without). Looks okay, but a bit too strappy
and "fussy" for my tastes; different things appeal to different
people. Looks like Hedgren has much more choice in backpacks, though.

--
Ken Tough
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Aniket V.

OK,
I have the box saying "110V-240V" what do I buy next to get it working out there???

-Aniket-

"JMS" wrote in message ...
"Rohit" wrote in message
Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of

travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to buy
additional equipment?

You need to take a look at your power supply (probably that little box
attached to your power cable). This should state the power rating. If it is
rated at 110V-240V then you should be OK, otherwise you will need another
power supply.

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

Yes it will but don't expect that you will get anywhere nearthe 56K you
currently enjoy.

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

If you are going to have the laptop stored with other luggage (and I suggest
that you don't) then you should probably get some hard cased bag to house
your laptop, otherwise any case is fine as 'carry-on'.

Thanks
Rohit

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Miguel Cruz

Aniket V. wrote:
I have the box saying "110V-240V" what do I buy next to get it working
out there???

Just buy a plug adapter when you get there. Any electrical store will have
it. It will cost less than a dollar.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/