Carry-ons (Opinions?)

Old January 14th, 2004, 08:30 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Carry-ons (Opinions?)

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Evelyn C.

Leeper
says...

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

I don't understand why people burden themselves on the long walks to
and from the gangways and then trouble their fellow passengers by
blocking an aisle. I just don't get it. When they're a bit early have
have to go to the toilet, they ask strangers to "watch my bag" not
knowing whether that stranger is going to disappear with it. I just
don't get it.

Because quite often I've had to wait in excess of 40 minutes after the

plane
has landed, before my bag actually shows up. If I could get away with

just
hang baggage when I go on a flight. I would do that!

If you're on a business trip and the time is critical - then pack lighter.

Wear
clothing passable for your business in case there is a problem. If you're
moving or have acquired some largish items, ship stuff. If you're

travelling on
pleasure, the first step to pleasure would be to learn how to relax and

stop
counting minutes at the baggage carousel.

Or because twice the airlines have failed to send my luggage on the same
flight as me.

Twice out of how many flights? And did they or did they not get the bags

to you
within a day?

I mean, good grief. These complaints are just control-phreaky "I demand a
glitch-free life and I wanna be first" stuff. The large number of
self-appointed carry-on exceptions (and the resultant scrable for

overhead,
underfoot, and garment bag space) *is* impacting other pax. PDA's,

music
players, and cameras fit in largish purses and soft briefcases (for the

latter,
with laptop). Medicine and magazines too. One more of carry-on size

handles a
weekend's worth of stuff (say - how 'bout packing one of those such that

you're
covered for a baggage-loading disaster and checking the rest!).

Spoken like a true non-business traveler. Why in the world should anyone
risk their enterprise and forgo their _legal_ carryon because you don't
approve?

I have to wear suits for my business and, no, I won't spend hours in plane
wearing one because you don't like carryons. I, personally, have had my
bags delayed -- 4+ days in each case -- twice out of the four times I
checked bags on a business trip. I also carry a laptop (with associated
electronics), PDA, cellphone and charger, plus critical documents that I
need when I get there.

It absolutely amazes me that you would be criticize someone who falls within
the _airline_determined_ requirement for carryon, which inconveniences no
one except, perhaps, your personal sense of aesthetics.

Bamtu

Old January 14th, 2004, 08:32 PM
PTRAVEL

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On 14 Jan 2004 09:21:37 -0800 Banty wrote:

:If you're on a business trip and the time is critical - then pack

lighter.

It is amusing to get advice from those whose big air travel experience was
visiting Grandma for Xmas.

My thoughts, exactly. In my experience, it's always the casual traveler,
unacquainted with carryon limitations, who causes the problem, showing up
with oversized bags, shopping bags, huge backpacks and all sorts of other
paraphenalia that _don't_ qualify as carryon.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Banty

In article , Binyamin Dissen says...

On 14 Jan 2004 09:21:37 -0800 Banty wrote:

:If you're on a business trip and the time is critical - then pack lighter.

It is amusing to get advice from those whose big air travel experience was
visiting Grandma for Xmas.

Presumptive nitwit.

I am an engineer in the microelectronics field who does travel on business.

Banty

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Howard Long" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
So I got out of line,
put the laptop in the shopping bag, and went back through and he let
me pass, because technically, now, I was in compliance.

And you still had to take your computer out again at the Xray... don't you
just love common sense!

Regards, Howard

I like the Shoe thing. We have to have our shoes inspected because some
nimrod had explosives in his shoes. Think of what will happen if they find
a guy with a stick of dynamite up his ass. (They already have the rubber
gloves)

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Banty

In article , PTRAVEL says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Evelyn C.

Leeper
says...

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

[...]

Excuse me?

Spoken like a true non-business traveler. Why in the world should anyone
risk their enterprise and forgo their _legal_ carryon because you don't
approve?

That can be a garment bag. Don't know how you got the impression I don't
approve.

But I do sometimes dress in a manner that will carry on to business if
necessary. Two ways to approach the business-dress problem. One can do either,
or both, and offset the (small) risk of arriving without one's checked baggage.

I have to wear suits for my business and, no, I won't spend hours in plane
wearing one because you don't like carryons. I, personally, have had my
bags delayed -- 4+ days in each case -- twice out of the four times I
checked bags on a business trip. I also carry a laptop (with associated
electronics), PDA, cellphone and charger, plus critical documents that I
need when I get there.

It absolutely amazes me that you would be criticize someone who falls within
the _airline_determined_ requirement for carryon, which inconveniences no
one except, perhaps, your personal sense of aesthetics.

I'm amazed you see my post that way.

If one is worried about the time at the carousel (which is what I was
addressing, and seems rather a matter of poor planning, but anyway...), one can
have the fresh business suit *and* walk out of the airiport if one travels
light. Pristine freshness or not, I use two ways to do that, depending on the
circumstances. Within airline requirements. That's all.

Banty

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Banty

In article , Hell Toupee says...

Jim Anderson wrote:

I agree with your last point whole-heartedly. There's two issues here as to
why people HAVE to carry everything on.

1. The MYTH of lost luggage.

Well, there's also the problem of finding valuables disappearing from
one's checked luggage. In fact, an undercover investigation at our local
airport discovered a thriving practice in ground crews stealing from
baggage. That makes people want to keep their valuables with them on the
plane - and some of those things are quite bulky.

My immediate thought - ship them insured. But I can see you're thinking too...

2. Well, I have to wait XX of minutes for my bag.

I really don't know why UPS or Pack 'n Mail or some other package
delivery service doesn't set up shipping kiosks in terminals. That'd be
a convenient last-minute option for people who, say, shopped excessively
while on vacation and daren't check their bag full of expensive or
fragile goodies. Just take it to the shipping counter and pay a few
bucks to have it all shipped home. And it'd make it easier for the
airlines to take a hard line on their baggage restrictions. If you can't
take it onboard, take it over to the freight counter and have it shipped
back to your home.

Damn good idea! Say, there may be an entrepeneural opportunity here ...

Banty

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

I don't understand why people burden themselves on the long walks to
and from the gangways and then trouble their fellow passengers by
blocking an aisle. I just don't get it. When they're a bit early have
have to go to the toilet, they ask strangers to "watch my bag" not
knowing whether that stranger is going to disappear with it. I just
don't get it.

Because quite often I've had to wait in excess of 40 minutes after the

plane
has landed, before my bag actually shows up.

I've waited almost that long to get off the plane when people are trying to
break loose the crap they jammed in the overheads.

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Foul Ole Ron" wrote in message
"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

Here's a question for discussion;
What's your opinion on carry-ons.
I travel for business, and check my tools & suitcase. I carry on my
Computer Case. I can't believe the amount of things that people try to
stuff into the overheads. If I put my case under the seat, I have to

sit
with my legs in my chest. It goes up. I'll move it in an unusual
circumstance, but not for the half dozen people toting 2 or 3 fairly

large
bags. And no matter what people think, the Airlines DON'T enforce the 1

bag
rule.

Absolutely!!
Many airlines have a simple box near the check in desk, built to the

maximum
hand-luggage dimensions. If your bag is too big to fit in the box, it

doesn't
get in as hand-luggage!! At least that's the theory, pity nobody enforces

it.

Ron

When was the last time you saw someone use it. Most I see are full of
garbage.

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On 14 Jan 2004 09:21:37 -0800 Banty wrote:

:If you're on a business trip and the time is critical - then pack

lighter.

It is amusing to get advice from those whose big air travel experience was
visiting Grandma for Xmas.

Doncha just hate Holidays? sigh

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Jim Davis Sr.

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Evelyn C.

I have to wear suits for my business and, no, I won't spend hours in plane
wearing one because you don't like carryons. I, personally, have had my
bags delayed -- 4+ days in each case -- twice out of the four times I
checked bags on a business trip. I also carry a laptop (with associated
electronics), PDA, cellphone and charger, plus critical documents that I
need when I get there.

It absolutely amazes me that you would be criticize someone who falls

within
the _airline_determined_ requirement for carryon, which inconveniences no
one except, perhaps, your personal sense of aesthetics.

I can totally understand Business Clothing, & Business related equipment. I
will gladly give up some of my space for another business traveler. I was
behind a woman in Houston, who tried to take 2 normal carry-ons, and _2
_small rolling suitcases with giant windchimes, made from small fire
extinguisher bottles. She had a temper tantrum when she was told to go back
& check them. She didn't want to wait at baggage claim at the other end.