Singapore

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:59 AM
ash

Default Singapore

I've got 3 nights, 2 days, in Singapore coming up.
What are the "must sees" in this time?
Thanks

Old October 4th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Alan Street

In article , ash
wrote:

€ I've got 3 nights, 2 days, in Singapore coming up.
€ What are the "must sees" in this time?
€ Thanks

Not sure I should really answer this, given your rather ambiguous
requests for Phuket.

Here are the touristy things to do in Singapo

Sentosa Island

The Zoo

The Nighttime Zoo

Jurong Bird Park

Spending money along Orchard Rd

Spending money in Sim Lim Square

Walking around the giant durian (be sure to spend money).

Going to Raffles Hotel and spending more than $12.00 for a small glass
of alcoholic cherry juice so you can tell your friends about it back
home (as they dust off their matching Elvis collector's plates).

Going to Clarke Quay and getting hassled by pushy touters so you can
say you ate Satay at the "orinal Satay Club," except that it really
isn't the original one, because that one got demolished to build the
giant durian (Don't worry, your friends back home with the collector's
plates won't know about this).

Having dinner at the Newton food court so you can say you ate hawkers
food just like the locals, except that the tourists outnumber the
locals 10:1, and you'll pay 3x what you would at any other hawkers
stand on the island (on the plus side, the food is pretty good).

Having a Bankbuster at Harry's Bar in Boat Quay (a drink named for Nick
Leeson, who used to work next door at Barings Bank).

Old October 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Tchiowa

"ash" wrote in message ...
I've got 3 nights, 2 days, in Singapore coming up.
What are the "must sees" in this time?
Thanks

You "must see" a travel agent that will take you to someplace
interesting, like Bangkok or Jakarta.

If you're stuck there, there is a safari trip you can take and see
what is basically a big zoo or maybe go to Haw Par Villa which is a
second rate amusement park.

Old October 8th, 2004, 08:26 AM
F. D. Lewis

"ash" wrote in message
I've got 3 nights, 2 days, in Singapore coming up.
What are the "must sees" in this time?

first, do not listen to the folks who will tell you that Singapore is
boring. there is lots to do and see. begin with:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/main.htm

there is a lot of info there. then dive into your favorite guidebook.

we spent three days there this summer on a visa run from Thailand. we got
up late, ate breakfast and then spent the afternoons leisurely looking
around. here is what we did.

first afternoon: the zoo. it was a bit touristy, but fun. liked monkeys,
animal feeding and sealion show.

second afternoon: colonial Singapo looked at Raffles Hotel (did not buy
anything), St Andrew's Church, Merlion, etc. then Chinatown with the big
Hindu Temple and wet market.

third afternoon: Botanic Garden (great if you like trees!), river cruise
from Clark Quay

the SIA 'Hop-on' bus is a great deal. it goes by the hotels and most of the
tourist sights. if you fly SIA it is free, but otherwise it is quite
inexpensive. for evening travel, or travel to one site (like boat quay for
dinner) the subway is nice.

we did not see 'Little India' or 'Arab Street' also missed some of the
Buddhist temples. did not get to Sentosa Island. maybe next time.

have fun.

PS. there is a naughty nightlife building (nicknamed 'four floors of
whores') which we wandered into while looking for a beer and a dartboard.
left immediately as the wife did not find it attractive.

Old October 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM
ad

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:26:55 +0700, "F. D. Lewis"
wrote:

"ash" wrote in message
I've got 3 nights, 2 days, in Singapore coming up.
What are the "must sees" in this time?

first, do not listen to the folks who will tell you that Singapore is
boring. there is lots to do and see. begin with:

and don't forget the world class museum near Chani Prison where the
star exhibit is the "whipping gallery" showing the various methods of
inflicting this method of punishment on petty criminals.....