What is Aeroflot / Moscow Airport like???

Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM
Kris

Default What is Aeroflot / Moscow Airport like???

Hi there - flying from Europe to Hong Kong via Moscow with Aeroflot.

3-hour stop-over in Moscow. What's the airport like, your regular
airport same as a thousand airports in the world???

Never flown via that part of the world, guess it's the same as
South-East Asia and China? Want to avoid any unpleasant
bribery/corruption issues while in transit (or did I see too many
movies?

Kris

Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:18 PM
Sjoerd

"Kris" schreef in bericht
Hi there - flying from Europe to Hong Kong via Moscow with Aeroflot.

3-hour stop-over in Moscow. What's the airport like, your regular
airport same as a thousand airports in the world???

Never flown via that part of the world, guess it's the same as
South-East Asia and China? Want to avoid any unpleasant
bribery/corruption issues while in transit (or did I see too many
movies?

Moscow has more than one airport, but most likely you will use Sheremetsyevo
2, which is easily the worst and ugliest airport terminal in the world.
Dark, smoky and generally unpleasant. But you will most likely survive those
three hours, and just be glad that you will only be in transit because 1)
immigration / passport control lines are horrible for arriving / departing
passengers and 2) Moscow, IMHO, is a terrible city.

Sjoerd

Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:12 PM
Kris

Thanx for the reply!

So I assume passengers in transit are not hassled by police,
immigration,... and whoever else happens to be wearing a uniform?

Can't wait to get back to Hong Kong so I guess I'll survive a
terrible Russian airport.

Kris

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:18:40 +0100, "Sjoerd"
wrote:

"Kris" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:24 PM
Sjoerd

"Kris" schreef in bericht
Thanx for the reply!

So I assume passengers in transit are not hassled by police,
immigration,... and whoever else happens to be wearing a uniform?

No. No problems with officials when you are only in transit.

Can't wait to get back to Hong Kong so I guess I'll survive a
terrible Russian airport.

Hong Kong is fantastic!

Sjoerd

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Henry

Kris wrote:

Hi there - flying from Europe to Hong Kong via Moscow with Aeroflot.

3-hour stop-over in Moscow. What's the airport like, your regular
airport same as a thousand airports in the world???

I haven't been through there since '96 but at that time there was an
Irish pub run by Irishmen. In other words, 'same as a thousand airports
in the world'. :-)

cheers,

Henry
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Kris" wrote in message
Thanx for the reply!

So I assume passengers in transit are not hassled by police,
immigration,... and whoever else happens to be wearing a uniform?

Hardly. The staff can be very rude though. Sheremetyevo is a grand piece of
****. For stays of a couple of hours, it will do just fine. Prices for many
services are horrific though. You can get refreshments cheaply at taxfree
shops.

Old December 4th, 2003, 06:02 PM
SD

Kris wrote:

Hi there - flying from Europe to Hong Kong via Moscow with Aeroflot.

3-hour stop-over in Moscow. What's the airport like, your regular
airport same as a thousand airports in the world???

Never flown via that part of the world, guess it's the same as
South-East Asia and China? Want to avoid any unpleasant
bribery/corruption issues while in transit (or did I see too many
movies?

Kris

My parents flew to US by Aeroflot. THe flight was nice according to them
but Aeroflot misplaced their luggage, it is almost impossible to get any
sort of compensation out of them except a measly 50$ or something. They
found the bags after one month and delivered them to me. But the flight
from India - Moscow - US was much cheaper than other airlines. They got
a free upgrade to business class on one leg too.

Old December 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM
John

SD wrote in message ...

Amazing how many people think they have more than one life... and will
risk flying an airline with a horrendous safety record to save a few
bucks. jh

Old December 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Markku Grönroos

"John" wrote in message
om...
SD wrote in message

Amazing how many people think they have more than one life... and will
risk flying an airline with a horrendous safety record to save a few
bucks. jh

You are pathetic.

Old December 7th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Jacuo

U¿ytkownik "Markku Grönroos" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

"John" wrote in message
om...
SD wrote in message

Amazing how many people think they have more than one life... and will
risk flying an airline with a horrendous safety record to save a few
bucks. jh

You are pathetic.

Aeroflot has very good safety records and IMHO is safer than any US airline

Jacek