Airport Limo service in Rome

Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:14 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Default Airport Limo service in Rome

We have never been to Rome, and someone was nice enough to suggest a couple
of limo services that could take us from the airport to our hotel.

Having never been there before, does 98 Euros plus 10% V.A.T. sound fair?
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
A Mate

For one way - about twice the going rate!!

40 Euros is attainable with very little 'Googling' - and that includes a
free bottle of wine!

Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Karen Selwyn

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
We have never been to Rome, and someone was nice enough to suggest a couple
of limo services that could take us from the airport to our hotel.

Having never been there before, does 98 Euros plus 10% V.A.T. sound fair?

You definitely don't have to spend that much!

Here are two recommendations: Context Rome and Airport Connection
Service. I have personal experience with the first company. The second
comes from someone whose recommendation I would rely on.

Last August, I used Context Rome with complete satisfaction. I paid 50 E
for a ride into Rome from the airport. The car was a Mercedes that could
hold three passengers. The price is a per car price not a per passenger
price. I was met just outside immigration/customs by a well-dressed
gentleman carrying a sign with my name. He escorted me to the car which
was waiting outside with a different driver.

Airport Connection is a bit less expensive, but it must be good or my
friend -- a college administrator in Rome -- would not be using it for
his never-ending stream of visiting professors. (Airport Connection is
very Italian and vacations the entire month of August.)

Here's some contact information for both:

Airport Connection Service: Their website is www.airportconnection.it
and their email

Their phone number is 06 3383221 and fax number is 06 3380748

Context Rome: This organization is a traditional travel agency that took
over the business of a fantastic walking tour organization, Scala Reale.
The website is http://www.contextrome.com/?sr=1 Follow the link to
Transportation. You'll see both a US and an Italian phone number at the
bottom of the home page.

(Of course add the appropriate international and country code when
dialing or sending a FAX.)

Karen Selwyn

Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Tom K

Here's a suggestion.

Take a taxi. There are zillions of them available at the airport.

However there's a BUT. Rome has 2 kinds of taxis in the airport. They have
the traditional inexpensive yellow taxis, and they have the nicer expensive
Mercedes taxis that the helpful guys in the airport will steer you toward.
The helpful guys (which, it turns out, are not really that helpful if you
don't want to get ripped off) will steer you to the expensive Mercedes.

What you want instead, is directions to get to the regular taxis.

Get yourself a regular taxi. No need for an expensive limo. Or for an
expensive Mercedes taxi for that matter.

My favorite places in Rome include:
Piazza de Spagne (get a pair of the best leather gloves in the world at the
glove shop Sermonetta Gloves there).
Piazza Navona (for a cappuccino or Nastro Azzura local beer)
St. Peters Basillica and the Vatican Museum (for the art)
Roman Forum (where the concept of Law started)
Colleseum
Trevi Fountain
There's a very good restaurant (with outdoor tables) one block over from Via
Condetti (to the left looking down from the top of the Spanish Steps) that
serves great lobster and pasta. It's about half way down the street (the
street runs parallel to Via Condetti) from the Spanish Steps.

--Tom

Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Danni

"Tom K" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Tom! Nothing I like more than good shopping and food suggestions.

Having experienced the taxis in Barcelona (small and smaller), are the taxis
in Rome any different? Figure two adults, one hound, and a whole bunch of
luggage.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
Tom K

"Danni" wrote in message

--Tom

Thanks, Tom! Nothing I like more than good shopping and food suggestions.

Having experienced the taxis in Barcelona (small and smaller), are the
taxis in Rome any different? Figure two adults, one hound, and a whole
bunch of luggage.

I recall all different varieties of cars used as taxis. Mini vans, station
wagons, small Fiats, etc.

If you do go to the glove place, its on the street at the bottom of the
Spanish Steps (standing on the steps) that goes left to right. It's either
one or two blocks to the left. You may be able to see the shop from the
steps, or it may be one additional block left. Not sure.

Be sure to get the gloves with the cashmere lining. Those are their
specialty. Buy extras for friends for the holidays, etc.

They used to be very reasonably price, though with our BushBucks Monopoly
money vs. the Euro, the prices are sure to have gone up.

Here's their website.

http://www.sermonetagloves.com/en/

--Tom

Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
How B

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
We have never been to Rome, and someone was nice enough to suggest a couple
of limo services that could take us from the airport to our hotel.
Having never been there before, does 98 Euros plus 10% V.A.T. sound fair?

OUCH! That's $140! For about 10 Euros, there's an express train that
goes directly from FCO to Stazione Termini (main train station in Rome).
From there you can take a short cab ride to your hotel. This option
works only if you're not carrying mounds of luggage.

The train station is in the airport, just look for signs pointing to
"Stazione FS." (FS= ferrovia statale, state railway) Also, don't forget
to validate your ticket in one of those funny looking machines on the
platform.

Buon viaggio
How B

Old April 24th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Thank you very much for the help, Karen.

I appreciate the people who have suggested that we take the train, but one
of the facts that I didn't post is that we travel with a Service dog because
my daughter is hearing impaired and the rules she agreed to when she got
Heidi 8 years ago were that Heidi goes wherever Danni goes.

So hauling six pieces of luggage and one dog to the train isn't high on our
list. And while I'd rather pay 60 Euros than 100 I am not looking to be
cheap.

We will figure something out and we thank you again for the assistance.

DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old April 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
Thank you very much for the help, Karen.

I appreciate the people who have suggested that we take the train, but one
of the facts that I didn't post is that we travel with a Service dog

because
my daughter is hearing impaired and the rules she agreed to when she got
Heidi 8 years ago were that Heidi goes wherever Danni goes.

So hauling six pieces of luggage and one dog to the train isn't high on

our
list. And while I'd rather pay 60 Euros than 100 I am not looking to be
cheap.

I don't remember how much they cost, but the "official" mercedes taxis were
roomy enough to carry our family of four and our 4 pieces of checkin and 4
pieces of carryon luggage. My husband says he doubts it was 100 Euro, as he
would have remembered something that high. We made no plans in advance for
the journey, just went to the taxi queue.