What food do you think of when you think of Beijing?

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:53 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Default What is best american restaurant in beijing?

what is the most expensive bottle of wine you've ever bought for
yourself and drank at a restaurant?
I bought a $500 bottle of merlot last weekend because Feb 5 comes only
once a year.

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

"Ira Humperdink MD" wrote in message oups.com...
what is the most expensive bottle of wine you've ever bought for
yourself and drank at a restaurant?
I bought a $500 bottle of merlot last weekend because Feb 5 comes only
once a year.

Why don't you ask the others here, whether any of them believes the statement you have just written - well, those who haven't killfiled you.
J.
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Default What food do you think of when you think of Beijing?

food, for example. You mentioned dumplings (jiaozi). Jiaozi exist all
over the place, but Beijing-style jiaozi are a specialty, and are very
good, indeed. There are all sorts of other Beijing-area specialties,
and though I had no trouble passing on the silkworms and scorpions on

I've had dumplings in Beijing, Shenyang, dandong, dalien, haungzhou,
shanghai, wuhan, Chongqing, and a few other places I don't know their name..
Basically they are all the same.. you must have some extra sensitive tongue
that can pick up the differences in water flavor in them or something..
basically they are all made the same way, yes you can get some spicy, and
others are not.. but you can get hot dumplings in the north as well as the
south.. yes there are some trends in different cities, but there are
sooooooooooooo many restaurnats in every city that you can get any type of
food in most any city in china.. I really don't notice much difference..
maybe you do, I guess I trust your opinion.. but I promise you I've been
around and I "personally" don't notice much difference no matter where you
are.. probably the biggest difference in food is the old food (the king's
food), now that is different.

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

be careful about those dumplings. they pay workers $0.10/hour to make
these dumplings. at wages so low, how many bother to wash their hands
after going to toilet?

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Ima Humperdick BA wrote:
be careful about those dumplings. they pay workers $0.10/hour to make
these dumplings. at wages so low, how many bother to wash their hands
after going to toilet?

$0.10/hour is too much to feed a troll

Cheers,

George W. Russell
Bangalore

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

I like the fisherman one.

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

On 9 Feb 2006 11:17:40 -0800, the renowned wrote:

I like the fisherman one.

And probably the telephone one with your gf.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

what is the telephone one?

Old February 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

On 9 Feb 2006 11:58:42 -0800, the renowned "Ira Humperdink MD"
wrote:

what is the telephone one?

It's a (regional?) Chinese idiom for yakking on the phone for a long
time, like the time it takes to cook rice into mushy congee with duck
which could be enjoyed with a freshly made 'you tiao' donut.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany