Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, Thailand

Old March 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, Thailand

How long of stay do these two cities warrant? My wife and I were planning
four days for each but it is difficult to judge what city has the most to
offer for the visitor. We have previously visited Bangkok, Phuket, Udorn,
and Ubon but never the northwest. We plan to visit during December. Thanks
in advance.

rg

Old March 25th, 2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

chaing rai is smaller and more for your seasoned hiker - so if you plan to
do serious hilltribe walking- you'd be better to base yourself there......
Chaing mai- is bigger and if like me all you wanted was a few days trips ...
a better base.

Old March 26th, 2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

A couple of days in Chiang Rai should be plenty if you're not going hiking.
You can see the border region, golden triangle, hill tribes etc. We were
there in late Nov a few years ago and it can get quite cool at that time of
year, particularly if you go high up. It's very pretty and worth a visit.

Chiang Mai is completely different - I've heard it described as 20 years
behind Bangkok. There's lots to see and do - particularly great shopping.

Enjoy.

Old March 27th, 2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Rick Graham" posted:

How long of stay do these two cities warrant? My wife and I were
planning four days for each but it is difficult to judge what city has
the most to offer for the visitor. We have previously visited
Bangkok, Phuket, Udorn, and Ubon but never the northwest. We plan to
visit during December. Thanks in advance.

We were in both cities in December '04 to Jan '05: 5 nights in Chiang Rai,
4 in Chiang Mai. In Chiang Rai it was jacket-chilly at night and
breakfast, but t-shirt-hot during the day. We had a driver to the country
in CR for 2 days and 1 day to the suburbs in CM, where it was warmer. No
hiking. That much time was about right. If you're a shopper, you could
spend several days in the markets in CM.
Many photos at http://buten.net/max/index.html#THAI_04_05

- Max
--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Egypt (new), Jordan (brand new), Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete,
France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Myanmar, Sicily, St Tropez,
Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections