Good books on safaris?

Old December 18th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Bobby

Default Good books on safaris?

Can anyone recommend a good book for my forthcoming safari in Kenya?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old December 18th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Bobby

The excellent Africa board of Fodors.com just had a long discussion
about books with some excellent choices.

Fodors.com Travel Talk Africa & the Middle East Need some good
books regarding Africa...

BTW, IMO the Fodors board has the most knowledgeable posts about Africa
in general.

Old December 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Liz

In message
"Bobby" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good book for my forthcoming safari in Kenya?

Best of those I have are listed at:
http://www.v-liz.com/safari/hints/books.htm

Of course, there must be plenty I haven't read, and it depends on what your
personal interests are. For example, if you're a birder you wouldn't dream
of going without the Zimmerman et al book, but if you're not, it would be a
lot of dead weight in your suitcase.

If only getting one book, I'd recommend the Insight "East African Wildlife"
one, with the Ernest Neal book, if you can get it, as runner-up (it was out of
print a couple of years back).
For general background, the Insight Guide to Kenya is nice.

However, if you live near a city with a good bookshop, you should try to
have a look and see which matches best with your style and what you want to
know.

When you're in Kenya, consider getting the individual booklets about the
reserves which are produced by Friends of Conservation: they are usually on
sale in the Lodge shops.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos

Old December 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Dave Patterson

I suggest (always) The Safari Companion
by Richard Estes.

Old December 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Dave Patterson

Old December 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Chomkuti

A very interesting book you might like to read is "A Guides guide to
guiding" by Garth Thompson.

--
Chomkuti
Chomkuti's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=228

Old December 20th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:19:03 -0000, "Bobby"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good book for my forthcoming safari in Kenya?

Bobby,

I don't know a book, but perhaps you want to look at
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm , at least for the checklist on
what to take along and some other general information.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.