local transportation from Foster City to San Francisco

Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:13:20 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

Bart does not go to Foster City. SFO is closest stop,

Uh, no. Millbrae is the closest stop to San Mateo/Foster City.

next is Colma.

Aftr SFO its next stop is San Bruno, then South San Francisco,
then Colma.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:52 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:35:47 -0700, no e-mail
wrote:

Plan to stay in San Mateo/Foster City for a weekend and want to take a
day trip into San Francisco. I hear we can take the Caltrain or BART
into the city. Is one better then the othe? Also, would we be better off
just take our car?
Thanks.

The simplet thign to do woudl be to take CalTrain into The City.
Unfortunately, the CalTrain weekedn schedul tends to be a bit
skimpy, although hourly trains ain't all that bad. Service ends
well before mdinight.
http://www.caltrain.com/timetable_ef...end-northbound

You don't say where in San Mateo/Foster City you will be. There
is a Foster City station (so to speak) on Hillsdale Blvd, and the
San Mateo station is downtown. Both have parking lots that are
reasonable. (There is another minor San Mateo station, and when
the race track is racing, there is a stop at the track but it's
so close to the Hillsdale station as to be somewhat redundant).

http://www.caltrain.com/

Ther are also SamTrans buses. There is regular and frequent local
service along El Camino Real, but damn! it's a long trip that
way. You could get off at Millbrae Avenue and walk the short
distance to the BART station.

There are a numnber of "flyer" buses (express) but none run on
weekends. Anyway, look around http://www.samtrans.org/

See routes 391 and 390 and 397.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Icono Clast

no e-mail wrote:
San Francisco. I hear we can take the Caltrain or BART
into the city.

There's a lot and garage at the station in San Mateo near B Street
and Third Avenue.

Is one better then the othe?

BART is better but not as convenient for where you'll be.

Also, would we be better off just take our car?

During the day, no. At night, yes.

It was just announced that BART workers have authorized a strike. It
might happen on the Thirtieth. Their last strike lasted almost a week.
A San Franciscan in 47.452 mile² San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
no e-mail wrote:
Plan to stay in San Mateo/Foster City for a weekend and want to take a
day trip into San Francisco. I hear we can take the Caltrain or BART
into the city. Is one better then the othe?

They go to different parts of the city -- Caltrain to south of Market,
while BART goes to the Mission and downtown areas. Both of them can
be taken from Millbrae station, so if you drive to the train station,
you can go there and have your choice (you might take BART one way and
Caltrain the other way, depending on your wanderings in San Francisco).

The parking situation in San Francisco depends on which part you are
attempting to park in.

Timothy J. Lee
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:02 PM

Jeff Lanam wrote:

Parking can be expensive and difficult to find. The Stockton-Sutter
garage is convenient for Chinatown and the Financial District.
There's a big garage at Fifth and Mission for Market Street.
North Beach is hopeless unless you climb from Battery or pay a lot at
a lot.

There are two convenient parking garages for North Beach. One is the
police station garage on Vallejo. The other is Portsmouth Square
garage, in Chinatown, but a short walk to North Beach.