Where to stay in Calgary?

Old March 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Default Where to stay in Calgary?

"Stephen Keefrider" wrote in message

Thanks, Paula. this sounds like it will be just fine. For this kind of
occasion, a clean Super 8 will do quite well. The location will get us
off to a running start in the morning. We are looking forward to
Waterton and the other parks in this area. We are spending three
weeks. Do you have any specail "must seee, must do" items?

Brian

Waterton is only 90 minutes from Calgary. Why do you need a "running start"
to go on a 90 minute trip on paved, mostly 4 lane, highways?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:29:55 GMT, paula wrote:

Brian, on Macleod Trail south and approx 162 Ave SW; maybe S.E.
MAcleod
Trail is kind of centre is a Super 8 ( as said, the higher the
number re
163 is more south. They are very basic but we have found them
normally
having good beds and clean. Sorry, I have never stayed in this
one)
At the back is the shopping centre with some restaurant, grocery
stores
etc. From there you are out of town in just a couple of minutes
and on
your way.
Waterton is beautiful. I am sure you will enjoy yourself there.

Brian Larkin wrote:

Thanks, Paula, you've got the idea. We fly in and leave the

next
morning heading south. We are not making a vacation out of this
over-nigher. All we need is a place to rest our heads for the

evening.
Expedia and Hotels.com list scores of places, and while praices

vary,
standard rooms are pretty much the same. What I'm hoping for is

your
personal recommendation, where would you stay?

I will appreciate your suggestions

-Brian

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:59:34 GMT, paula

wrote:

Hi

Is your intent to find a place which will have you on your

way
immediately to Waterton? If so, there are two hotels close

city
limits south and right by a huge shopping centre in case

you want
load up with some food/ snacks/ drinks etc.
I forgot the names but can drive by probably on monday.
Then, there are various ones on Macleod Trail south; the

higher
the
number the more south, which is what you probably want.

But, what
type
of "luxury" do you expect; that is the question

Lauren Webmaster wrote:
My wife and I will fly into Calgary and leave for

Waterton
Lakes the
next day. Can you recommend a place to stay?

Old March 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

sharx35 wrote:

"Stephen Keefrider" wrote in message

Thanks, Paula. this sounds like it will be just fine. For this kind of
occasion, a clean Super 8 will do quite well. The location will get us
off to a running start in the morning. We are looking forward to
Waterton and the other parks in this area. We are spending three
weeks. Do you have any specail "must seee, must do" items?

Brian

Waterton is only 90 minutes from Calgary. Why do you need a "running start"
to go on a 90 minute trip on paved, mostly 4 lane, highways?

Not everyone speeds. It is more like a 3 hour drive; about 280 k.m.
I ckecked various websites; they confirm this.

Old March 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"paula" wrote in message

sharx35 wrote:

"Stephen Keefrider" wrote in message

Thanks, Paula. this sounds like it will be just fine. For this kind of
occasion, a clean Super 8 will do quite well. The location will get us
off to a running start in the morning. We are looking forward to
Waterton and the other parks in this area. We are spending three
weeks. Do you have any specail "must seee, must do" items?

Brian

Waterton is only 90 minutes from Calgary. Why do you need a "running
start" to go on a 90 minute trip on paved, mostly 4 lane, highways?

Not everyone speeds. It is more like a 3 hour drive; about 280 k.m.
I ckecked various websites; they confirm this.

Mapped out, it's about a 3 hour drive. But then, I don't consider 3 hours
as a long drive. If you went right to Waterton, you'd save the cost of the
hotel for one night.

Old March 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

sharx35 wrote:

"Stephen Keefrider" wrote in message

Thanks, Paula. this sounds like it will be just fine. For this kind of
occasion, a clean Super 8 will do quite well. The location will get us
off to a running start in the morning. We are looking forward to
Waterton and the other parks in this area. We are spending three
weeks. Do you have any specail "must seee, must do" items?

Brian

Waterton is only 90 minutes from Calgary. Why do you need a "running
start" to go on a 90 minute trip on paved, mostly 4 lane, highways?

Not everyone speeds. It is more like a 3 hour drive; about 280 k.m.
I ckecked various websites; they confirm this.

Mapped out, it's about a 3 hour drive. But then, I don't consider 3 hours
as a long drive. If you went right to Waterton, you'd save the cost of the
hotel for one night.

True, but we do not know how long the OP has been travelling already,
not what time he arrives in Calgary

Old March 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

To start, on the way to Waterton you have the following'
If interested in WW2 airplanes, there is a small museum for this in
Nanton, which is about 35 min. drive south of Calgary.
Then there is the fort in Fort Macleod, nice walking around on a good
day and if they still have the Mountie musical ride there, that is nice
to see ( check website to see if they still do that). Then in Lethbridge
is the Japanese gardens and do not miss seeing the high level bridge (
train bridge); there is a nice picnic area from where one can see this,
named Whoop -up park and one can see an old mine etc.
Also, somehwere along the way is head-smashed-inn buffalo jump.
In Waterton there is lots of nature of course. Do go to the glaciers;
drive to the upper lake and rent a canoe. Also loads of walking trails.
One can go on a boat, stop of for a trail, and take the next boat back
or to a next area. So, info from a few years ago, but ...
google some names for up to date info.
To me though, 3 weeks in Waterton sounds a bit much; do you have any
other plans? ( then I am not to much of a nature person)
Hopefully others will chime in here :-)

Old March 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"paula" wrote in message

sharx35 wrote:

"Stephen Keefrider" wrote in message
m...

[...]

He's FLYING into Calgary, so he could sleep on the plane. Even at THREE
hours to Waterton, it is an EASY 3 hours. Why complicate things by having to
schlep you stuff INTO a hotel, OUT of a hotel when it be far easier to just
GO to Waterton, directly from the airport, bypassing Calgary, for all
intents.

Old March 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"paula" wrote in message
[...]

It IS a bit much! A week should be adequate. THREE weeks in Waterton would
cost a blood fortune, too. It's NOT cheap there.

wrote:
Hi
Is your intent to find a place which will have you on

your
way immediately to Waterton? If so, there are two hotels close
city limits south and right by a huge shopping centre in

case
you want
to load up with some food/ snacks/ drinks etc.

Old March 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

sharx35 wrote:

"Stephen Keefrider" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Ah, not everyone can sleep on a plane. My hubby can sleep anywhere so he
would drive. I cannot not and I am exhausted after flying, incl due to
lack of oxygen in airplanes; no kidding. At times I have passed out due
to this, hence I cannot air travel alone.
never assume someone is just like you.
Of course neither one of us has any idea about OP

Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message tviyj.55915$w57.32082@edtnps90 "sharx35"
wrote:

He's FLYING into Calgary, so he could sleep on the plane. Even at THREE
hours to Waterton, it is an EASY 3 hours. Why complicate things by having to
schlep you stuff INTO a hotel, OUT of a hotel when it be far easier to just
GO to Waterton, directly from the airport, bypassing Calgary, for all
intents.

If his flight arrives at 9pm, by the time he's in a rental car it will
be at least 10pm, getting through the city and out to Waterton will be a
good 3.5 hours (especially if you're not familiar with the area)

Now add a 30 minute stop for food, and we're arriving in Waterton after
2am, without doing any sight seeing on the way.

That might be how you travel, but it's most definitely not how *I* would
travel.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote:

He's FLYING into Calgary, so he could sleep on the plane. Even at THREE
hours to Waterton, it is an EASY 3 hours. Why complicate things by having
schlep you stuff INTO a hotel, OUT of a hotel when it be far easier to
just
GO to Waterton, directly from the airport, bypassing Calgary, for all
intents.

If his flight arrives at 9pm, by the time he's in a rental car it will
be at least 10pm, getting through the city and out to Waterton will be a

Getting THROUGH the city? You don't really know Calgary. 4 to 6 lane freeway
skirts its whole eastern outskirts. No prob. Besides, they might be arriving
early in the afternoon.