Laptop computers

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default Laptop computers

[Default] Thus spake "Mark (SF)" :

I concur with the others - get a decent computer.

Seriously, you'll be crippling yourself with inadequate hardware.
Personally, I've become a big Mac fan - but if you want to buy a
Windows machine - just get a computer that isn't obsolete out of the
box. I checked the Toshiba site and it appears that that model isn't
even in their current lineup.

One additional concern should be repair costs. Laptops are, for the
most part, all or nothing when it comes to repair. The screen will
run you about as much as a new machine. My Sony Viao had two failures
in the power system on-board. Roughly $290 each time. Many parts
become totally unavailabe except to repair depots after only a few
years.

As far as brands go, each has their supporters. Personally, I had a
Satelite Pro a few years ago and it was a champ. IMHO I'd look at
(besides Apple) HP/Compaq and Toshiba first - I'm wary of Acer.

I'm good for HP/Compaq. I have a dislike of the details of Toshibas,
but not the reliabilty. Acer is one of those "good model, bad model"
things.

A few months ago I found some really excellent configurations at cheap
prices at Costco.

Mark

--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.

Hey, turnabout's fair play.
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ray

Stu wrote:
the OP said that that laptop didn't have one.

Not possible

The OP is dealing with somebody that is trying to sell him something
that is already installed on the machine. It is a Toshiba that was
never sold in the US. Looks like it was a Thai model and the refurbs
are being dumped in Oz. Of course, my Toshiba guy could be wrong ...
but he never has been to date! ;-)

--

Ray
=======================
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Stu" wrote in message
I've never found a Leveno that didn't have wifi built in, I've had two
and have done a great deal of shopping and price comparison.
Check these models, all with wifi
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...B809376EDBD8BA
Higher models
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...290563F6BCDDE6

The OP asked about Toshiba. I was the one that suggested Lenovo as a more
reliable product based on Internet Rankings I read a few months ago.

--Tom

Old January 26th, 2010, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ray

Stu wrote:
Toshiba never had wifi as a permanent option, you always needed a
card. Why in hell would he buy a refurbished laptop never sold here,
he's just looking for trouble. As for the price, I bought a brand new
15" Toshiba laptop for my son just a few months ago loaded with vista
with wifi for $499+tax so he's not getting a deal by any stretch of
the imagination.

Yeah ... I am writing right now on my road machine that is a Toshiba
A135 that is basically disposable. It only cost me $349. I recently
saw one listed in Office Depot with 3 gigs memory, 250G hard drive,
DVD/CD writer/reader and wifi for only $329!

Like I said ... they have become disposable!

--

Ray