How much time do you need between flights?

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Bonita Kale

Default How much time do you need between flights?

Using Orbitz to browse flights from Cleveland, Ohio, to London, UK, I
keep seeing times between flights (usually in New York) of an hour or
even less.

Is that enough? Don't you need a couple of hours?

If this is something I should easily be able to find out for myself,
I'm sorry. Never saw this group before. Never been outside North
America before. I just don't know, and the security seems to get more
time-consuming all the time.

Bonita
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:38 PM
mrtravelkay

Bonita Kale wrote:

Using Orbitz to browse flights from Cleveland, Ohio, to London, UK, I
keep seeing times between flights (usually in New York) of an hour or
even less.

Is that enough? Don't you need a couple of hours?

If this is something I should easily be able to find out for myself,
I'm sorry. Never saw this group before. Never been outside North
America before. I just don't know, and the security seems to get more
time-consuming all the time.

OIf it within the published minimum connection time, you should normally
make it. In many cases of transfer you don't need to go through security
again. Now, on the return trip, you should allow 2 to 2 1/2 hours as you
usually have to clear customs/immigration AND go through security again.

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:22 AM
cj

Bonita Kale wrote:
Using Orbitz to browse flights from Cleveland, Ohio, to London, UK, I
keep seeing times between flights (usually in New York) of an hour or
even less.

Is that enough? Don't you need a couple of hours?

If this is something I should easily be able to find out for myself,
I'm sorry. Never saw this group before. Never been outside North
America before. I just don't know, and the security seems to get more
time-consuming all the time.

Bonita

I recently booked tickets through Orbitz because I couldn't get the US
airline to book tickets with the transatlantic airline for the entire
route (the two airlines are limited partners). After getting my paper
tickets, I found out that America West can check my baggage straight
through and both segments of the flights are booked on the one ticket.
Their website never mention it or offered such a flight arrangement as
they primarily book with another Transatlantic partner. After checking
with the US airline with a connection time of about an hour, they stated
that if we miss the connection flight, they will arrange for us to go on
the next flight.

Old May 11th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Miguel Cruz

Bonita Kale wrote:
Using Orbitz to browse flights from Cleveland, Ohio, to London, UK, I
keep seeing times between flights (usually in New York) of an hour or
even less.

Is that enough? Don't you need a couple of hours?

If they'll sell you the ticket, then it should be a "legal" connection.

In any case, transferring to an international flight is pretty much
identical to transferring to a domestic flight. When you check in at the
first airport (starting your trip) they ask to see your passport, that's
about it. Once in a while there is extra scrutiny at the gate itself but
that's pretty rare, and it only adds a minute or two unless you turn out to
be carrying grenades or something.

So an hour should be more than enough unless you have to switch terminals. I
wouldn't worry. If you've transferred domestically in the past you already
have all the skills you need.

miguel
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Thomas E. Parody

If this is something I should easily be able to find out for myself,
I'm sorry. Never saw this group before. Never been outside North
America before. I just don't know, and the security seems to get more
time-consuming all the time.

As you might know, minimum connect times vary by airline, airport, domestic
vs. international, and whether one is connecting interline or online. A
handy list is provided in the OAG (Official Airline Guide) Flight Guides.
Statistics for North America are provided in the North America edition; the
World edition provides equivalent information for the rest of the world.
These are available for purchase from OAG or can be found in some large
libraries.