Vietnam

Old October 25th, 2004, 10:24 PM
bia34

something wrong with both your web sites. Couple years ago the Molon
pictures were big enogh for my 17" screen background, but now they shrink,
no longer good for screen background. How come?(cost of gassoline too high
for transport? Or you want me to switch to 13" monitor or lower screen
resolution?) Mig changed his web page last year, my IE 6 no longer can see
any picture, just white blank pages (java and everything enabled or promt).
No clue what happened? But I can see his pics with netscape browser.

Same old pics mostly, few newer ones. Have you both stoped traveling? Road
weary? Or Bush administration cut spending? BTW, that pic with girls in
cheap pants, shorts and tee shirts and colorful head gear in chienmai is
July 31, 2004 dress, definately not traditional dress.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Miguel Cruz says...

Aside from a few specialized interactive applications, I'd go much

farther
than that - in my experience, it pretty much invariably makes the web

site
much worse. It's slow, has all sorts of compatibility issues, and

creates an
unpredictable user experience with amateurish interface elements that

only
serve to confuse and alienate visitors.

I say this without having been able to access the msphoto site, so don't
take it that I'm passing judgment on your (not you, Thomas, of course)
interface design. But the incompatibility problem is clear enough.

It depends...

Look at my site. There is a Javascript drop down menu on the top left,
which allows you to quickly access every single gallery on the site.
Sort of a site map. Without Javascript this couldn't be done.

You can also navigate the site with Java switched off, but to reach a
gallery deep down in the hierarchy you have to go through all
intermediate levels.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Prague,
Budapest and Portugal

Old October 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Alfred Molon

In article saefd.5091$kr4.1363@trnddc01, bia34 says...
something wrong with both your web sites. Couple years ago the Molon
pictures were big enogh for my 17" screen background, but now they shrink,
no longer good for screen background. How come?(cost of gassoline too high
for transport? Or you want me to switch to 13" monitor or lower screen
resolution?) Mig changed his web page last year, my IE 6 no longer can see
any picture, just white blank pages (java and everything enabled or promt).
No clue what happened? But I can see his pics with netscape browser.

Same old pics mostly, few newer ones. Have you both stoped traveling? Road
weary? Or Bush administration cut spending?

The site started in March 2002 with photos in a size of 800x600. With
the traffic exploding (now 6000 people/day visit the site) I had to
reduce picture size a bit to 720x540.

There are *lots* of new photos. Last week I uploaded a Bavaria photo
gallery with 98 photos, in September a Prague photo gallery with 163
photos. Before that I have been uploading photos of Egypt and Malaysia
every month since January 2004. I also have a real life job and just
don't have the time to process speedily thousands of photos.

I might add that this year we got our first baby in May and we haven't
been able to do any long distance travelling since January. But I'll
travel to China and Malaysia at the end of the year (and either Vietnam
or India), so expect new galleries in 2005 (it will probably take half a
year to process the photos of that trip).

Old October 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM
bia35

[...]

You can put a few ads on your web page to help cover highspeed ISP service
and big pictures. Traffic may increase to 60 thousand/day. Then you dont
have to work real life job any more, just travel.

Old October 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Miguel Cruz says...
bia34 wrote:
Mig changed his web page last year, my IE 6 no longer can see any picture,
just white blank pages (java and everything enabled or promt). No clue
what happened? But I can see his pics with netscape browser.

I'm not sure what the deal is with that either. I'm only rarely around
Windows machines these days so I haven't had much of a chance to figure it
out. Whenever I do try and have some free time (internet cafes, etc.) it
always works. But whenever I'm in a hurry and just want to show someone
something, it fails. If anyone has one of the Windows/IE machines where it
doesn't work and can offer any insight, I'd be grateful. In a nutshell it
seems like some installations of IE don't accept the images, even though
there's nothing strange about how they're served out - and no Java or
JavaScript at all.

Here's what the log lines look like on the problem requests:

[25/Oct/2004:01:23:20 -0500] "GET /pic/mv/3017-small.jpg HTTP/1.1" 304 -
"http://travel.u.nu/country-mv.php" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01;
Windows 98)"

304 means that the picture is not served because it is already stored
locally in the browser's cache.

Old October 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Alfred Molon

In article DGmfd.12068$5O4.11159@trnddc07, bia35 says...

You can put a few ads on your web page to help cover highspeed ISP service
and big pictures. Traffic may increase to 60 thousand/day. Then you dont
have to work real life job any more, just travel.

Unfortunately nowadays you earn nothing with ads - which is why there
are none on my pages.

Old October 26th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
Miguel Cruz says...
Here's what the log lines look like on the problem requests:

[25/Oct/2004:01:23:20 -0500] "GET /pic/mv/3017-small.jpg HTTP/1.1" 304 -
"http://travel.u.nu/country-mv.php" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01;
Windows 98)"

304 means that the picture is not served because it is already stored
locally in the browser's cache.

Yes, that's why I'm confused.

(A) If the browser thinks the image is in its cache, why isn't it displaying
it on the screen?

(B) Why does it happen to people on their first visit to the site, before
there's any possibility of the browser having cached the image?

The browser seems to be sending a request as if it already has the image,
which it does not. Then Apache says, "well, it hasn't changed since you
claim you last got it, so I ain't sending you another copy." Hence my
conclusion that it is a browser bug. But I don't understand why I'm the only
victim; Googling around, nobody else seems to have this problem.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Miguel Cruz says...

(A) If the browser thinks the image is in its cache, why isn't it displaying
it on the screen?

(B) Why does it happen to people on their first visit to the site, before
there's any possibility of the browser having cached the image?

The browser seems to be sending a request as if it already has the image,
which it does not. Then Apache says, "well, it hasn't changed since you
claim you last got it, so I ain't sending you another copy." Hence my
conclusion that it is a browser bug. But I don't understand why I'm the only
victim; Googling around, nobody else seems to have this problem.

Miguel,

I don't have the time to do a thourough check, but Firefox displays your
site properly, while IE 6 doesn't show the pictures.

By the way, it probably is irrelevant, but perhaps try replacing the '
with ", i.e. transform

img src='pic/ae/2896.jpg'

into

img src="pic/ae/2896.jpg"

And see what you get. Chances are that IE can't cope with the '
character (actually I've never seen the ' character used for img src).

Old October 27th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
I don't have the time to do a thourough check, but Firefox displays your
site properly, while IE 6 doesn't show the pictures.

By the way, it probably is irrelevant, but perhaps try replacing the '
with ", i.e. transform

img src='pic/ae/2896.jpg'

into

img src="pic/ae/2896.jpg"

And see what you get. Chances are that IE can't cope with the '
character (actually I've never seen the ' character used for img src).

The single quotes are theoretically legal - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2

But I'm willing to try anything. I've changed the single quotes to double on
all the photo pages. If you have the chance to try again with IE and see if
it helps any, that'd be great.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu