Colon, Panama

Old August 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
M[_1_]

Default Colon, Panama

The wife and I are cruising in Nov. and one stop is Colon. Any feed back.
Will be looking to score some cuban cigars ...any advice?

Tks

Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jim

"M" wrote in message
.. .
The wife and I are cruising in Nov. and one stop is Colon. Any feed back.
Will be looking to score some cuban cigars ...any advice?

Tks

Whatever you do, see the Canal. It really is an engineering marvel. There is
a tour that allows you to travel across the country to the Panama City side
by bus and then you take a small boat through some locks and the Cut before
getting back on the bus. (It's a hot tour BTW), or you can visit just the
Canal or go to the Indian Village. The town is not the best place to wander
around on your own and I simply cannot advise you to go off on your own in
that Country.
Jim

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

The wife and I are cruising in Nov. and one stop is Colon. Any feed back.
Will be looking to score some cuban cigars ...any advice?

Don't buy them in Colon. What are the other stops on your itinerary?

--
Charles

Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dory Samuels

We have been there twice. 1st time we hired a car & driver at the port.
Very nice young man who spoke a little English. He took us to the canal
and urged us to stay as long as we liked. On the drive to and from he
pointed out areas of interest. He had a nice, late model airconditioned
sedan. The cost was 40.00 (20.00 each) and we tipped him on top of
that. MUCH less than the ship's tour.
The 2nd time there we booked the ship's tour of the train ride to Panama
City. A bus took us to the train andthere was an English speaking guide
to point of things of interest and facts about the canal. We were not
able to view the locks on this tour. While on the train we were given a
light box lunch. On the pacific side we had about 1/2 to 1 hour to shop
or take pictures. Cost was over 100.00 each
For the 1st time there I would do the trip to the locks. Don't go
walking outside the fenced area by the ship.

~Dory~
"We cannot go back and make a new start but we can start now to make a
new ending."*

Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

There is only one thing to do in Colon...get out!...take an all day
tour(preferably ship booked)

Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "M" :

The wife and I are cruising in Nov. and one stop is Colon. Any feed back.
Will be looking to score some cuban cigars ...any advice?

Tks

Be aware that many "Cubans" are really Dominican with Cuban labels.
But having the label makes them illegal to import. And Danny the Dope
Dog will also sniff out tobacco.
--
dillon

If you can't figure out how to unmunge my
address, email me and I'll explain it.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

Cayman,Cozumel,Puerto Limon,Roatan.

There are a lot of counterfeits in the Caribbean so you have to be
careful where you buy. In Grand Cayman there is La Casa del Habano in
one of the waterfront malls. That is the best place to buy real Cubans.
In Cozumel the fakes are all over the place but you should be able to
get real ones at Havana Club.

--
Charles
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:56:26 -0400, "jim"
wrote:

"M" wrote in message
. ..
The wife and I are cruising in Nov. and one stop is Colon. Any feed back.
Will be looking to score some cuban cigars ...any advice?

Tks

Whatever you do, see the Canal. It really is an engineering marvel. There is
a tour that allows you to travel across the country to the Panama City side
by bus and then you take a small boat through some locks and the Cut before
getting back on the bus. (It's a hot tour BTW), or you can visit just the
Canal or go to the Indian Village. The town is not the best place to wander
around on your own and I simply cannot advise you to go off on your own in
that Country.
Jim

I would have to agree..when we were there, the cruise line was very
adamant in warning people not to wander on their own in town. I noted
there were *second* floor balconies ringed with very heavy duty floor
to ceiling bars..and not just decorative ones, there was some serious
stuff even on higher up balconies. Even thru-wall air conditioners
were often covered with heavy enclosures most of us are used to seeing
only on the doorways of inner-city pawn shops.

Do see the Canal, we took a bus tour that ran along it a ways, stopped
at the visitor center etc. I've been both through it and alongside it
and either way is a major life event.

If you can get to Panama City it is wirth it at least visually (I"ve
never been into it) This ultra-modern, futuristic collection of
high-rsies looms out of the jungle like something in a Lucas film, the
contrast of modernity and nature does not jar so much as invigorate.
If the city is as fun to visit as it is to see, I hope they finish
that cruise facility I read they are building, I'd like to see the
town.

Jim P.