Med cruise food

Old February 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Med cruise food

Another curiosity question..... I've only been on Caribbean cruises so far.
Is the general menu theme on a Med cruise (RCCL specifically) different?
I'm kinda hoping so, hoping for something a little different than the
American version of "Italian night, French nite" etc in the dining room and
hot dogs and hamburgers in the Windjammer. (Yes I know I'm providing a
cynical description :-) , just hoping there will be a more "native" flare to
the food)
Any expereinces?
Thanks!!
ST

Old February 26th, 2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Shauna T" wrote in
:

Another curiosity question..... I've only been on Caribbean cruises
so far. Is the general menu theme on a Med cruise (RCCL specifically)
different? I'm kinda hoping so, hoping for something a little
different than the American version of "Italian night, French nite"
etc in the dining room and hot dogs and hamburgers in the Windjammer.
(Yes I know I'm providing a cynical description :-) , just hoping
there will be a more "native" flare to the food)
Any expereinces?
Thanks!!
ST

For native flare there are meals ashore. The meals onboard will be
largely indistinguishable.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 26th, 2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Too bad, but what I figured.
Thanks

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Shauna T" wrote in
:

Old February 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

While Joseph clearly knows more about cruising than I do, and I know nothing
about RCL's cuisine, I have to say that the food we were offered on a HAL
Med cruise was excellent, including the best lobster tails ever.

Food on a cruise ship is based on where the ship gets their provisions. A
ship coming out of Alaska at the end of the season is likely to have King
Crab legs while one sailing up at the beginning of the season may not.

As always, opinions about food are from the eye of the beholder.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

news

Old February 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Dick G" dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom wrote in
news
While Joseph clearly knows more about cruising than I do, and I know
nothing about RCL's cuisine, I have to say that the food we were
offered on a HAL Med cruise was excellent, including the best lobster
tails ever.

Food on a cruise ship is based on where the ship gets their
provisions. A ship coming out of Alaska at the end of the season is
likely to have King Crab legs while one sailing up at the beginning of
the season may not.

As always, opinions about food are from the eye of the beholder.

OP's question dealt more with the overall style of food. There is no
motivation for a mass market ship to change it's overall food
presentation when the demographic is the same. When it comes to fresh,
market sensitive foods one really needs to be on a smal ship line where
occassional forays to market are made. Menus on large cruise ships are
received and approved from central facilities it is like the Soviet
farming system on water. (ie if it is Day 3 you have lobster, Day 5 veal
shanks etc.)

The food is geared to American palates so even if traveling in Asia the
Asian food will be Americanized. If there are any lines that tend to be
more regional in the Med for instance they would be along the lines of
MSC or Costa whose primary passenger component in those markets is
European.
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Dick G" dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom wrote in message
news
While Joseph clearly knows more about cruising than I do, and I know
nothing
about RCL's cuisine, I have to say that the food we were offered on a HAL
Med cruise was excellent, including the best lobster tails ever.

Food on a cruise ship is based on where the ship gets their provisions. A
ship coming out of Alaska at the end of the season is likely to have King
Crab legs while one sailing up at the beginning of the season may not.

As always, opinions about food are from the eye of the beholder.

The menu on our Med HAL cruise was pretty much the same as our menu on our
Alaska HAL cruise and our Canada/New England HAL cruise. The food was good,
but no, they don't go get a Turkish chef the day they have a stop in Turkey.

One of the downsides of cruising the Med on the mainstream cruiselines is
you seldom get to stay in port late enough for a European dinner dining
experience. If you want to try the local cuisine, go for lunch. Many
excursions finish before lunch, and you can sample Moussaka or Napolean
Pizza before you get back on the ship.

Old February 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

When we cruised the greek isles,they did have quite a few ethnic dishes
for dinner,all were very good.

(.a cruise lover.)