Paris the world's choice for the 2012 Olympics

Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

Except it has few suitable stadiums, inadequate public transport and
the area chosen needs to be bombed flat before they can start.

I don't care. I still think it's the perfect place. Much better than
Paris.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

UK should not have to link regeneration to the Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Mxsmanic wrote:

nitram writes:

UK should not have to link regeneration to the Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

It's not bogus. What the hell do you know about it?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Go Fig

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

nitram writes:

UK should not have to link regeneration to the Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

jay
Fri Jun 03, 2005

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:23 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Go Fig wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

nitram writes:

UK should not have to link regeneration to the Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

Well, people will stlll be coming to London, Paris, Madrid, NYC or
Moscow. They're hardly out of the way destinations. I don't see your
point. The regeneration in Manchester just because of the _Commonwealth_
Games was pretty significant, and proved a real boost to the city.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Go Fig wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

nitram writes:

UK should not have to link regeneration to the Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

jay
Fri Jun 03, 2005

That would pretty much write off both London & Paris. I doubt that
either would see much benefit from additional exposure. The left over
facilities if they can get the rest of the country or even the EU to pay
for them they might like.

Old June 4th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Go Fig

In article , Frank F.
Matthews wrote:

Go Fig wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

nitram writes:

UK should not have to link regeneration to the Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

jay
Fri Jun 03, 2005

That would pretty much write off both London & Paris. I doubt that
either would see much benefit from additional exposure.

How would you rate Los Angeles, seen daily in movies and TV around the
entire world, for benefiting from additional exposure compared to
London or Paris ?

The left over
facilities if they can get the rest of the country or even the EU to pay
for them they might like.

They will tell you corporations will underwrite much of the predicted
costs, their are rumors a sports franchise will move because of your
new stadium and your entire downtown will be gentrified by private
investment to boot... but history shows its the taxpayers that will
carry the load... let those local taxpayers vote on it.

jay
Fri Jun 03, 2005