Paris the world's choice for the 2012 Olympics

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Mxsmanic

Go Fig writes:

For lack of a better word, it comes down to the 'prestige' of being a
Host City... being in the club.

Prestige with respect to what audience? I don't care if a city has been
host to the Olympics, except that cities that have might be a bit more
likely to have corrupt governments.

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Mxsmanic

Go Fig writes:

So you think the http://www.franceguide.com/prehome.asp should shut
down ? You think hoteliers don't want more tourists ?

I don't think it matters. Tourists will come either way. Even in my
own case I've had to turn clients down because I have too many. Of
course, this is high season.

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you had found the Garden of Eden.

The Garden of Eden and a host city to the Olympics are mutually
contradictory.

Why is it the perfect place for the Olympics?

Because it's away from Paris. Anyplace but Paris would be perfect.

Old June 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Des Small

Go Fig wrote:
In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

But isn't it the case that Barcelona did well out of the games, both in
terms of infrastructure and a PR boost? One of the main reason that I
oppose the London bid is precisely that they resolutely vowed not to
tinker with the Tube, which is deeply in need of having money
(intelligently) thrown at it.

Des
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Go Fig

In article , Des Small
wrote:

Go Fig wrote:
In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

But isn't it the case that Barcelona did well out of the games, both in
terms of infrastructure and a PR boost?

Yes it did, but it is the exception. Expenditures were equal to income,
but only a government can survive with that accounting model.

But the taxpayers of Spain did foot the bill for about 20% of the
investment. Is it fair to ask the people of Madrid to subsidise all
the benefits in infrastructure to Barcelona ?

They were, at least, reasonably good shepherds of the monies entrusted
to them... particularly with operational expenditures.

One of the main reason that I
oppose the London bid is precisely that they resolutely vowed not to
tinker with the Tube, which is deeply in need of having money
(intelligently) thrown at it.

Are the people of London going to pay for it, or the greater UK tax
base ?

jay
Sat Jun 04, 2005

Des

Old June 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Des Small

Go Fig writes:

In article , Des Small
wrote:

Go Fig wrote:
In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Since the Olympics are always a net loss, you have to try to link them
to something, no matter how bogus.

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

But isn't it the case that Barcelona did well out of the games, both in
terms of infrastructure and a PR boost?

Yes it did, but it is the exception. Expenditures were equal to income,
but only a government can survive with that accounting model.

But the taxpayers of Spain did foot the bill for about 20% of the
investment. Is it fair to ask the people of Madrid to subsidise all
the benefits in infrastructure to Barcelona ?

Yes.

They were, at least, reasonably good shepherds of the monies entrusted
to them... particularly with operational expenditures.

One of the main reason that I oppose the London bid is precisely
that they resolutely vowed not to tinker with the Tube, which is
deeply in need of having money (intelligently) thrown at it.

Are the people of London going to pay for it, or the greater UK tax
base ?

For what? I live in Bristol, but I would not object to my taxes being
spent on the Tube, which I use, as they are on motorways up and down
the country, which I mostly don't.

Des
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Jim Ley

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:22:15 -0700, Go Fig wrote:

Are the people of London going to pay for it, or the greater UK tax
base ?

The current funding proposals are UK Lottery and London Council Tax.
So no general taxation other than for London residents.

Jim.
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:30 PM

"Well, people will stlll be coming to London, Paris, Madrid, NYC or
Moscow. They're hardly out of the way destinations. I don't see your
point."

England should put money into the London Tube and into economic
development in the Midlands cities. Forget stadiums.

"The regeneration in Manchester just because of the _Commonwealth_
Games was pretty significant, and proved a real boost to the city."

It was probably 10% or less than the cost of hosting a real Olympics.

Here in New York, I don't know a single person who wants the Olympics.
We're hoping some European city gets suckered into hosting it. The
construction projects would create massive disruptions for city
residents for months if not years leading up to the games, and our
taxes are high enough without having to pay off Olympics debt. Who
really cares about the Olympics anymore anyway, with ten different 24-7
sports channels on the telly? What sport would anyone want to watch
that you can't watch normally - synchronized diving? team handball?
ribbon gymnastics?

Old June 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM

"For lack of a better word, it comes down to the 'prestige' of being a
Host City... being in the club."

Which is not worth billions of dollars in debt. If transportation
improvements and other infrastructure projects are important, then just
build them and forget the useless stadiums and athlete housing.

Atlanta, Seoul, and Salt Lake City haven't exactly become tourist
destinations. Barcelona is the one arguable case of a city that raised
its profile by hosting an Olympics - although it's certainly possible
that it would have become a major destination anyway. But the argument
that the Olympics give a city visibility definitely wouldn't apply to
Paris, London, Madrid, or New York.