What's been the worst holiday you've had in North America so far and why?

Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Vince

Default What's been the worst holiday you've had in North America so far and why?

Of course we all want and hope our holidays will work out fine, but
sometimes they don't, so what for you so far, was or has been the worst

North American holiday you've had and please elaborate on what the
(serious or humorous) circumstances were, that caused the holiday to
not work out so well, so others can learn from the experience.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
PeterL

Vince wrote:
Of course we all want and hope our holidays will work out fine, but
sometimes they don't, so what for you so far, was or has been the worst

North American holiday you've had and please elaborate on what the
(serious or humorous) circumstances were, that caused the holiday to
not work out so well, so others can learn from the experience.

My worse day on a holiday was better than my best day working.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM

PeterL wrote:
Vince wrote:
Of course we all want and hope our holidays will work out fine, but
sometimes they don't, so what for you so far, was or has been the worst

North American holiday you've had and please elaborate on what the
(serious or humorous) circumstances were, that caused the holiday to
not work out so well, so others can learn from the experience.

My worse day on a holiday was better than my best day working.

Yeah, if you're not having fun, you're probably the root cause.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM

In article .com,
Vince wrote:
Of course we all want and hope our holidays will work out fine, but
(serious or humorous) circumstances were, that caused the holiday to
not work out so well, so others can learn from the experience.

In these days of urban terrorism, "worst" can be very bad.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
Pan

On 22 Jul 2005 05:19:03 -0700, "Vince" wrote:

Of course we all want and hope our holidays will work out fine, but
sometimes they don't, so what for you so far, was or has been the worst

North American holiday you've had

[snip]

The worst holidays last only one day.

(In the U.S. and I believe Canada, "holiday" is an official day off
from work. What Brits called "holidays," we call "vacations.")

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Brian K

On 07/22/2005 8:19 AM Vince while holding "court", exclaimed:

Of course we all want and hope our holidays will work out fine, but
sometimes they don't, so what for you so far, was or has been the worst

North American holiday you've had and please elaborate on what the
(serious or humorous) circumstances were, that caused the holiday to
not work out so well, so others can learn from the experience.

It was a road trip when I was 11 years old from our home in New Jersey
to Miami Beach Florida. En route we stayed at a motel whose advertised
outdoor pool had green scum growing on it. In addition, I unknowingly
stepped on a mound of Fire Ants. In a few seconds my sandal shod feet
were covered with fire red welts. The air conditioner broke in my
room. I had to open the window, which was invaded by mosquitoes and "no
see ums" that just passed right through the screen. So I awoke with
swollen feet and covered with bug bites. That was in Falls Church Va.
My parents diverted to a town where we could find a drug store. I could
have bathed in calamine lotion, but my mom's loving touch with the
calamine helped greatly.

When we got to Miami Beach and stayed at the Bal Harbor hotel, we spent
a night with bed bugs or fleas all of us. My mom had enough! She was
ready to check us all out but the hotel manager offered to upgrade us to
ocean view rooms with a balcony. At last it looked like everything was
going to be good for the rest of our vacation. A friend of my dad's
gave us 2 free tickets to an ice show at the Fountainblu hotel. Since
it was only 2 my folks bowed out and told my 16 year old sister to keep
an eye on me. We were ushered to a reserved table down front and
center. The lights went dim, the music started, the curtains lifted and
out glided 6 topless show girls!! We were seated at a table where it
wasn't possible to leave until the show was over. After about 3 numbers
my sister gave up and stopped covering my eyes. She made me promise not
to tell mom and dad about the show. Karen had a vivid imagination and
cooked up a whole different show we'd tell them about.

For an 11 year old kid this was a highlight of my vacation. For my
sister, Karen this was her worst nightmare. It was made worse by my
heightened curiosity. I asked her innocent things like, "Karen do you
think those girls have cold boobies?" and "What if they slip and fall
will they bounce if they fall on them?" Poor Karen was really stymied,
this wasn't exactly part of the responsibilities and plans for being a
big sister.

Now that we're much older we both laugh about this. We finally told our
folks the truth about that ice show while celebrating their 50th
anniversary. We didn't plan on it one of us slipped up after all these
years.

The only other thing that happened is Karen and I didn't have sufficient
sunblock on. We got burned to a crisp. To add insult to injury, we went
to Parrot Jungle with my mom while my dad went on a fishing boat. You
know what they do at Parrot Jungle. They put a bird on each of our
sunburned wrists. They put a bird on each of our sunburned shoulders.
To top it off they put one on each of our heads. Mom was diligently
documenting this with the old Super 8. Those parrot feet hurt like hell
and made our sunburns hurt even more. The kicker when we got back to
the hotel, mom discovered that she hadn't put any film in the movie
camera!!! We had suffered in vain!

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old July 24th, 2005, 05:49 AM
marklaw

We camped at Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.

The cave tour was great, but in the evening we were bombarded by giant
flying beetles while we were trying to have dinner.

Then it started to pour, and we were out of beer.

We stopped at a few roadside places asking about buying beer and they
all said "you ain't from around here, are you?"

As it turned out, most counties in Kentucky are dry (or were at the
time), so we took a road trip to Bowling Green with the A/C on to dry
off our clothes and to buy some beverages. The trip was well worth it,
as we were out of beer and the car gave us shelter from the elements.

Old July 25th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Brian K

Glad you enjoyed it. To think it happened long before anybody ever
heard of the "Griswalds" back in the late 1950s. And, I forgot to
mention about being attacked by water bugs and blow flys in the pool at
Howard Johnson's somewhere in Georgia. Or our whole family getting the
"runs" from drinking the water somewhere outside Savannah. Oh yes,
those were some good times! :-D ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

On 07/23/2005 2:47 PM j. sterling while holding "court", exclaimed: