Vic Falls

Old March 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Vic Falls

Anyone have any recent experience on the Zimbabwe side?

Anyone have any positive/negative feelings about going
to Zambia rather than Zimbabwe?

Old March 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Dave Patterson" wrote in message
Anyone have any recent experience on the Zimbabwe side?

Anyone have any positive/negative feelings about going
to Zambia rather than Zimbabwe?

Do you mean in light of 'recent' problems in Zimbabwe, or in general?
I think you are an experienced "African hand" so what I have to say may well
be 'grandmothers and eggs'!
I havent been to the Falls for some years; the first time in the 80s we saw
it from both sides - staying in Livingtone and at the Vic Falls Hotel. A bit
later we saw it from Zimbabwe side only (also when the flow was a lot
less!). I thought the views were better from the Zambian side, although if
you havent seen them before, seeing both must be the 'best' option. On our
first trip, the Zambian tourist trade was almost non-existent whereas
Zimbabwe's was thriving; Zambia was also very poor compared to Zim. now of
course the situation is reversed - Zambia's tourist industry seems to be
going from strength to strength and there are several 'high class' hotels in
Livingstone. When we went, there only seemed to be one hotel near the Falls,
which we stayed in.
I'd go back to Zambia like a shot; last time we went we didnt go to the
Falls at all - if we did decide to include them, I'd probably want to stay
at somewhere like Tongabezi.

--
Rita Daggett

Old March 17th, 2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

I am setting up a short visit for an old
friend and his wife and son.. and our
discussions have now already caused him
to select the Zambezi Sun hotel, on the
Zambian side. Child-friendly, good price.
So, I think I would now ask for anyone's
experience with a specific Guide in Zambia,
and any comments on shopping, etc.,
in Livingstone.
True, I have been to the Zim side numerous times,
but never to Zambia!

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Went to the Falls with my wife in October last.
Stayed in Zambezi Sun - yes, big, but very relaxed and we enjoyed it a lot.
BUT
The Falls at that time were so low that the Zambia side was the wrong side
to be on.
Very poor viewing - you could walk out over part of the Falls.
Eventually had to take a taxi over the border to Zim to see the Falls from
there.
Great view but ripped off at border - govt tax to cross was $50 per person.
Regretted we had not stayed on the Zim side in a hotel there.
Seemed all very safe in Zim.
Did not visit Livingston - advised nothing there worth seeing.
They did say that when the Falls are in full flow then it's a toss up which
side to stay.
Dee

"Rodger" wrote in message
Hmm, big ugly commercial hotel. Perhaps try Gorges Lodge or Ilala Lodge,
they are both a lot smaller and more intimate. Gorges has magnificent
views from their balconies... not for the feint hearter though. Everything
is fine on the Zim side. They realise tourism means money so really lok
after the guests. Ilala Lodge is within walking distance to Vic Falls town
and the falls itself.

Old March 26th, 2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Dave,

If you're looking for something more upmarket, The River Club is
situated on the Zambian side of the Zambezi River, 18 kilometres
upstream from Victoria Falls. The camp has a distinct Edwardian
flavour, and guests here enjoy the sights and sounds of Victoria Falls
and the Zambezi River in a peaceful and tranquil setting away from the
crowds.

http://africanexcursions.com/TheRiverClub.html

Drop me an email if you'd like some competitive pricing, or advice in
general !

Old March 26th, 2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Thanks.. and good luck.
As it happens, I also work with Wilderness Safaris.
(River Club)

And, in the end, my friends will be staying with some
other friends of mine who operate Imbabala, in the
far NW corner of Zimbabwe on the Zambezi next to the Bostwana border

Old March 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Excellent ! Wilderness Safaris are our exclusive provider, and will
remain so for the forseeable future. You're in good hands with them.