Flying The Gestapo Skies: Woman arrested for refusing to deleteunflattering video on airplane.

Old August 15th, 2008, 09:07 AM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
[email protected]

Default Flying The Gestapo Skies: Woman arrested for refusing to deleteunflattering video on airplane.

http://consumerist.com/5036981/jetbl...ideo-recording

Old August 15th, 2008, 09:35 AM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Ralph

I take the bus. Much easier and cheaper. Going from small town to small
town in 800 mile trips is just as fast. Just make sure you get in line
cause having a ticket doesn't always guarentee a seat.

wrote:

http://consumerist.com/5036981/jetbl...rrested-for-re

fusing-to-delete-an-unflattering-video-recording
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
mrtravel[_2_]

Ralph wrote:

I take the bus. Much easier and cheaper. Going from small town to small
town in 800 mile trips is just as fast. Just make sure you get in line
cause having a ticket doesn't always guarentee a seat.

Really? 800 miles by Greyhound is just as fast as 800 miles by plane?

I don't quite believe this is the whole story.

I doubt she was "arrested" for not deleting a video.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Ralph

mrtravel wrote:

Ralph wrote:

I take the bus. Much easier and cheaper. Going from small town to small
town in 800 mile trips is just as fast. Just make sure you get in line
cause having a ticket doesn't always guarentee a seat.

Really? 800 miles by Greyhound is just as fast as 800 miles by plane?

I don't quite believe this is the whole story.

An hour and a half to drive to the airport.
Three hour check in.
Three hours in delays.
Two hour flight.
Hour bag claim.
Hour and a half driving home.

12 hours.

I doubt she was "arrested" for not deleting a video.

She was in fact arrested, so you don't have to put it in quotes.
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Jack Bauer

Ralph wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

Ralph wrote:

I take the bus. Much easier and cheaper. Going from small town to small
town in 800 mile trips is just as fast. Just make sure you get in line
cause having a ticket doesn't always guarentee a seat.

Really? 800 miles by Greyhound is just as fast as 800 miles by plane?

I don't quite believe this is the whole story.

An hour and a half to drive to the airport.
Three hour check in.
Three hours in delays.
Two hour flight.
Hour bag claim.
Hour and a half driving home.

12 hours.

half of your 12 hour estimate involves check-in and delays. Quite an
exaggeration. Give us an estimate of the bus trip that includes such
gross exaggerations! 1-1/2 hours to and from bus station (3 hour total),
getting stuck on freeway: what? maybe 4 hours? plus 14 hours driving
with rest stops. That's 21 hours.

I drive an 800 mile trip rather than fly, but I would never claim it to
be just as fast. It's just easier to have my own car once I get there.
And I can take all the luggage I want.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Ralph

Shawn Hirn wrote:

then a flight of 800 miles would probably last half an hour,

That's 1600 mph which would rip the wings off your DC10.

Don't you mean 2 or 3 hours?
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Shawn Hirn wrote:

then a flight of 800 miles would probably last half an hour,

Gee you fly an airline that runs their planes at 1600 miles an hour
and hits that right away? F-18 tops out at only 1200, although launched
off the carrier it is probably to that speed pretty much immediately.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
DevilsPGD

In message
(Ralph) wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Ralph wrote:

I take the bus. Much easier and cheaper. Going from small town to small
town in 800 mile trips is just as fast. Just make sure you get in line
cause having a ticket doesn't always guarentee a seat.

Really? 800 miles by Greyhound is just as fast as 800 miles by plane?

I don't quite believe this is the whole story.

An hour and a half to drive to the airport.
Three hour check in.
Three hours in delays.
Two hour flight.
Hour bag claim.
Hour and a half driving home.

12 hours.

I've done an 800 mile Greyhound run with a then-girlfriend who was
scared of flying. It does not take 12 hours. It takes 12 hours driving
at the speed limit, it takes between 17 and 21 hours assuming you don't
have a wait to transfer buses.

I also do a 2000 mile flight 20-30 times a year, it runs me at most 6
hours door to door. I book a cab for 5:30am MST and have the guys at
the office pick me up at the hotel for a late lunch at 12:45pm CST
(11:45am MST) which includes check-in at the hotel.

Once, and only once, I missed the flight, it took me 12 hours from hotel
checkout to when my key hit the lock at home.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Mxsmanic

mrtravel writes:

I doubt she was "arrested" for not deleting a video.

I don't.

However, the crew was on extremely thin ice. Federal law prohibits passengers
from assaulting, threatening, intimidating, or interfering with crewmembers.
It does not prohibit passengers from refusing to obey unreasonable commands
unrelated to safety of the flight. The same is true for disobeying the
captain.

If this were not true, then crewmembers could give any command, including
those that violate passengers' civil rights ("all blacks aboard must move to
the rear of the aircraft"), with impunity.

This lady obviously didn't assault anyone. She made no threats. The only
intimidation that occurred was of the passenger by the crew. And she didn't
interfere with any duty of the crew.

As for operating an electronic device, if they were at the gate, no
restrictions apply. And if anyone else was operating a video camera, the crew
would have to explain why this passenger's video camera was the only one
presenting a danger to the flight. And so on.

The captain is the master and commander of the flight, but his orders must
also be justified by safety, and not arbitrary. Additionally, until they
leave the gate, the captain isn't in charge.

The number of abuses by crewmembers seems to be increasing exponentially.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Mxsmanic

Kurt Ullman writes:

Gee you fly an airline that runs their planes at 1600 miles an hour
and hits that right away? F-18 tops out at only 1200, although launched
off the carrier it is probably to that speed pretty much immediately.

It's going six times slower when it leaves the carrier deck.