where are all the tourist vectors?

Old February 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.africa,misc.health.aids

Default where are all the tourist vectors?

Tourism to Africa is not zero. In fact it's appreciable.

Why is there very little incidence of HIV seropositivity from tourists
arriving into Europe & North America from Africa?

Old February 15th, 2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Where did you get the information that you quote? I ask because if
it's actually correct information, I find it very interesting.

I have no stats to back up my comments, but I suspect that the very
high HIV infection rates in Southern Africa are mostly amongst people
with whom most European and American tourists will have very little
contact.

My feeling is that infection rates will be highest in the rural areas
and in poorer peri-urban areas. Most tourists will be in and around
the cities where infection rates are likely to be lower.

There are several reasons why I think that infection rates would be
lower in cities:

1) People are generally better educated and better informed.
2) Condoms are freely available
3) People, women in particular, tend to be more aware of their
personal rights and are more able to take control of their lives and
decide when and with whom they engage in sexual activity.

Marc

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,misc.health.aids

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tourism to Africa is not zero. In fact it's appreciable.

Why is there very little incidence of HIV seropositivity from tourists
arriving into Europe & North America from Africa?

I remember seeing a study that claimed the majority of new HIV cases in the
UK were occurring in African immigrants and people who had traveled in
Africa.

Gary Stein