EU visitors to have fingerprints taken

Old February 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Go Fig

Default EU visitors to have fingerprints taken

Hummm... I wonder if this plan will meet with the same scorn that the
U.S. plan did by members of this group.

Tipping... ATM fees... fingerprinting... next? Pay for incoming cell
calls ?

jay
Wed Feb 13, 2008

From The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3366326.ece

February 14, 2008

EU visitors to have fingerprints taken

Rory Watson and David Charter

BRUSSELS Every visitor to the European Union would have to provide
fingerprints before being allowed to enter, under plans unveiled
yesterday to clamp down on illegal immigration.
The move to record the arrival and departure of non-EU citizens and to
store the data in a single European database is part of a wider
overhaul of border security. It is aimed at the largest single category
of illegal migrants: people who remain once their visa or permit has
expired.
Franco Frattini, the EU Justice Commissioner, argued that the existence
of the electronic register containing a visitorıs personal details and
final destination would make it possible to identify overstayers.
The scheme, which must be approved by all 27 EU governments before it
can come into force in 2013 as proposed, has been criticised by civil
rights groups. They fear that it could lead to a ³fortress Europe²
mentality against foreigners and to identity theft if the data were
lost or stolen.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pat[_9_]

Default Plan proposed to have fingerprints taken

The scheme, which must be approved by all 27 EU governments before it
can come into force in 2013 as proposed, has been criticised by civil
rights groups.

It's not a done deal. It's a plan.

Old February 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
TheGolfersWife

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:25:13 -0600, "Pat" wrote:

The scheme, which must be approved by all 27 EU governments before it
can come into force in 2013 as proposed, has been criticised by civil
rights groups.

It's not a done deal. It's a plan.

If its approved it will make Europe just like the USA ... how about
that?

The Golfer's Wife
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:25:13 -0600, "Pat" wrote:

The scheme, which must be approved by all 27 EU governments before it
can come into force in 2013 as proposed, has been criticised by civil
rights groups.

It's not a done deal. It's a plan.

It won't worry the Spaniards. They all have their FPs taken when they
reach the age of consent.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ttow

On Feb 13, 9:20*pm, Go Fig wrote:
Hummm... I wonder if this plan will meet with the same scorn that the
U.S. plan did by members of this group.

Tipping... ATM fees... fingerprinting... next? *Pay for incoming cell
calls ?

jay
Wed Feb 13, 2008

From The Times

[...]

All I can say it's about time that the americans go through the same
hell that europeans have to go through to enter the US. Lets see how
they like them apples. I also expect the european border guards to get
as nasty with them as they do with us and ask them 1 million questions
and make them feel that they are being given a huge favour for being
let inside Europe. I also expect the lines to be as long as they are
to enter the US (actually if they were only half as long I would be
satisfied). Lets see how they like to wait standing 4 hours in line
after a 10 hour flight with the very high possibility of being
detained in the border for another 5 hours because somebody with the
same name stole a car in London 10 years ago. It's going to be great.
Payback is always a bitch.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

"ttow" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 9:20 pm, Go Fig wrote:

All I can say it's about time that the americans go through the same
hell that europeans have to go through to enter the US. Lets see how
they like them apples. I also expect the european border guards to get
as nasty with them as they do with us and ask them 1 million questions
and make them feel that they are being given a huge favour for being
let inside Europe. I also expect the lines to be as long as they are
to enter the US (actually if they were only half as long I would be
satisfied). Lets see how they like to wait standing 4 hours in line
after a 10 hour flight with the very high possibility of being
detained in the border for another 5 hours because somebody with the
same name stole a car in London 10 years ago. It's going to be great.
Payback is always a bitch.

Where did/do you enter?

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Tim C. wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:25:13 -0600, "Pat" wrote:

The scheme, which must be approved by all 27 EU governments before it
can come into force in 2013 as proposed, has been criticised by civil
rights groups.

It's not a done deal. It's a plan.

It won't worry the Spaniards. They all have their FPs taken when they
reach the age of consent.

Why would it worry them anyway- it's not them who'll have their
fingerprints taken.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
Hummm... I wonder if this plan will meet with the same scorn that the
U.S. plan did by members of this group.

More likely it's a form of retaliation against the USA and nobody else will
be fingerprinted 'because of resource issues'

Isn't that what Brazil did?

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Go Fig wrote:

Hummm... I wonder if this plan will meet with the same scorn that the
U.S. plan did by members of this group.

Well, I don't like it. I'm not sure it will go ahead anyway. I really
can't imagine people on a bus crossing the Slovenian/Croatian border,
with the non-EU citizens getting hauled off and taken into an office for
fingerprinting. It's a ridiculous idea, and won't make anyone safer.
Remember, the 9/11 bombers had legal visas and frankly, it's perfectly
possible for another set of non-US terrorists to enter the country
again. The 7/7 bombers were mostly from across the pennines near where I
live...