Cancu/Riviera Maya trip

Old August 13th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Hai Pham

Default Cancu/Riviera Maya trip

Here is my trip report and I will post in Trip Advisor too.

Cancun/Riviera Maya trip report.

From 8/3-8/10 at Palladium Grand Resort

Fly from Philadelphia by USA 3000

Apple Vacations All Inclusive including airfare booked through
www.vacation-discount-superstore.com

contacted their travel agent named Dan so only got 8% discount (no airfare
discount)

Cost ~$885 per adults (3) and ~$835 for 15 yrs old son in 4 people room.

2 adults in one room cost ~$975/person and 3 adults cost ~$920/person

We had 2 rooms: Me, wife, daughter (18) and son (15) & my wife's mom,
sister & cousin in other room and her cousin flew out Detroit by
Delta.

Departu Very good, quick check-in. Got to airport at 5:00 AM for 7:00 AM
flight.

Dropped everyone off and went to Economy parking lot. Check in was
done when I came back I went to the front desk to get my boarding
pass, a person from airline saw me and ran over to look at my
passport and gave the boarding pass.

Flight was smooth and departed on time we landed in Cancun at 9:30 AM (CT).

Since it was on Tuesday so it took about 1 hour went through custom
including the time from the runway to the gate by bus and got the
luggage. We had to go out to meet Apple Vacations representatives.

I don't understand why Mexican government does not allow them inside
but the people who tries to sell time share is allowed inside. Don't
listen to the people works at airport just go to collect your
luggage, these people pretend to help you but end up they passed you
to "time share" guys.

Hotel: it took about 1 1/2 hours from the airport, we arrive at the
hotel about 12:30 PM and check in took less than 10 minutes. We went
for lunch and came back 1 hour later to pick up luggage and room
keys.

Rating: scale 1 to 10 (best)

Airline: USA3000 score 9

Hotel:

In general: room, lobby, landscape... score 9.5, they are very beautiful.

Services: 9.5 due to the call in front desk never got what they promised.
Restaurants/bars services score 10+

Food: buffet restaurants score 9, Japanese restaurant score 5, Steakhouse
score 7 and Mexican score 8. Note don't eat Sushi 2 out of 4 got sick. We
think they don't have enough "Mexican" food, a lot of American food.

Activities score 4 not much thing to do if you do not drink much. Shows at
night score 3.5 only my wife likes it since it was free.

Swimming pools are beautiful but water was too warm so score 9.5

Beach: Beautiful but no waves, my wife and her family like it but me and our
kids were getting bore after an hour. Beautiful sand and we walked almost
every morning. Score 9

Apple Vacations representatives were very helpful but were more interested
in selling tour (most of them were over-price we think). They offered a free
trip to shop at Playa de Carmen downtown for people who booked the tour but
not to people who booked the whole vacation with them !!! ---- Score 8

Xel-Ha park: Score 8. It is a nice park but not much thing to do beside
snorkeling and float on the "river", other activities look good in their
website or the paper. This is the best place to give you the highest
exchange rate for dollar to peso. The food and drink was very reason, they
don't try to rip you off like Disney park.

We were lucky no rain at all for 7 days we were there but it was very hot on
the average I took 3-4 showers a day. Since Sunday night I could not eat
much foods or drink I think the food is too "rich" for me. The workers were
very friendly and cheerful and like others said they treated everyone well
regarding tips or no tips. We gave the tips for every meal 1-2 dollars.
Sometimes I felt bad since there were two waiter/waitress served in our
table so I either gave tips for both or gave to the main one and gave tips
to other next meal (we tried to sit in the same location). We did not see
many people gave tips once a while someone gave tips and most likely
American.

This resort is more "family friendly" so no topless at the main pool. I did
not see much topless women at the beach on the average 3-4 a day and the
same people everyday.

For the money, we think it is the best but we don't think we will be back
except my wife. We may try some places else in Mexico and may try to learn
Spanish at Community College.

Please ask me any questions regarding the trip, hotel ......

Hai Pham