Why Bother to Fly Anymore?

Old December 31st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Speedy Gonzalez

Default Why Bother to Fly Anymore?

"Anonymous Sender" wrote in message acolo.com...
We're told to report THREE HOURS early to the airport. So here's the math
on a Los Angeles-to-San Francisco flight:

One hour to drive to LAX
Three hours wait at LAX
One hour flight time
One hour additional check-out/drive to final destination

Total: 6 hours.

To drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco point-to-point is 8 hours via
superhighway.

You save all of two hours. Figure out the cost per hour saved for one,
two, three and four passengers. The math speaks for itself.

I can understand that. Contrary to what one person in the flame-fest
on Cuba travel said, I am from Australia, and I do travel to report for
an E-zine.
Anyway, when I went to cover a figure skating comeptition in
Ciudad Obregon, I flew to Tuscon, and drove from there to Cd. Obregon.
When you consider the time to check for a flight, go through security,
and then fly there, and then get to my final destination, it is about
the same amount of time driving. I drive from Tuscon to Cd. Obregon
in about 8 hours, including roughly one hour to get car permits and
clear Customs at the Nogales border checkpoint. It makes more sense
to drive to Hermosillo, Guaymas, or Ciudad Obregon from Tuscon,
rather than fly. When you figure the time for check in, check out,
and other stuff mentioned by the OP, I can drive in about the same
time.

For you younger travelers, you should know that 40 years ago you could
board a DC-3 in L.A. WITH NO TICKET AND NO WAIT, buy a ticket in flight,
and arrive in San Francisco in 2 1/2 hours flight time. All for $11.50 per
person each way.