Cancun Travel - tips

Old December 16th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Default Cancun Travel - tips

Hi I am going to Sunscape Puerto Aventuras resort(claimed 4 stars)
located in Mayen Rivieria this weekend. I already went to Debbie Travel
internet to search for review of this resort, but i couldnt find any.

Just wonder if you can answer the following general questions:

Usually at hotel, are there lots of local tours from different
companies ? If so, which company offers good trip at reasonable rate ?
AMSTAR ? How much does the tour guide usually charge?

Is the tour price fixed or can be bargained ?

I am sure there are lots of shops selling sourvenior where would
you say it's the cheaper places to buy ? (Hotel, Cancun downtown city,
or along beach ?

I like driving scooter, i tried that in Varadero, is it safe to do it
in Cancun ? Is it pricey?

At the hotel, usually can you go to the same A LA CARTE restaurant more
than once in the same week ?

If you have been to any Sunscape resort, please share your experience
with me and tell me what i should or shouldnt try.

Any other cost-saving tips would be appreciated

Thanks a lot for your insight!

Terence from Toronto,Ontario,Canada

Old December 19th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Brian K

On 12/16/2004 1:52 PM contemplated offing a mime,
made these writings:

[...]

Best place is probably Cozumel about an hour before the cruise ships
leave. You can get there via ferry at Playa del Carmen. Of course
you'll want to plan some other activity on Cozumel like scuba or Dolphin
Swim at Chakanaab Park. Most A. I. along Riviera Maya discourage beach
vendors, and usually chase them away if they move up from tidal areas.
If your Spanish is fairly good there are mini-vans that travel up and
down between Cancun and Tulum. They cost around 85 cents US, locals
mostly use them to get too and from their jobs at the hotels. Puerto
Aventuras is south of Playa del Carmen. It's approximately 15 minutes to
Playa del Carmen. It would probably be a quicker trip there then to go
to Cancun. From Cancun International Airport it's about a 1 hour ride to
Puerto Aventuras. While not the big discos with high tech lights,
you'll find that there are clubs where you can go dancing in Playa del
Carmen.

As for the A La Carte restaurant at Sunscape Puerto Aventuras,
according to this web page, there are 4 of them.
http://www.conquestvacations.com/hotels/SUSC.html Reservations might
be required at all or some. Consult your travel documents to see if
there is a toll free number you can call. If you booked through a
travel agent, he/she should be able to answer your questions or provide
you with appropriate resources.

As for rental of a scooter. It would be very unwise. The streets in
Puerto Aventuras and Playa del Carmen are far too busy for freewheeling
on a scooter or motorbike. The only other place you could ride one is
the highway between Cancun and Tulum; you wouldn't want to do so.
Local Mexicans aren't as bad as Parisian taxi cab drivers, but some of
them you wouldn't want to encounter on a motorbike. If you plan on living.

For tours I used InterMar as they also provided ground transport from
and to the airport in my package. I got a price break as part of the
deal. Who is providing your ground transport from the airport? Inquire
with them when you arrive. Then compare prices with others at the hotel.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.