Southern Laos photo update

Old February 18th, 2006, 05:53 AM posted to soc.culture.laos,rec.travel.asia,alt.war.vietnam

Default Southern Laos photo update

http://lrally.photosite.com/

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM posted to soc.culture.laos,rec.travel.asia,alt.war.vietnam

In article .com,
wrote:

http://lrally.photosite.com/

Excellent!
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM posted to soc.culture.laos,rec.travel.asia,alt.war.vietnam

Hi Mr. Rau. If you liked the photos, you might also like to review the
travelogue. It was written by a French guy who lives in Cambodia. After
crossing the border from Cambodia into Laos on the Mekong River, this
group of motorcycle riders traveled up the _west_ bank of the Mekong to
Champassak. They then crossed back over to the _east_ bank of the
Mekong and did the road from Salavan to Xepon in southern Laos. Do you
remember that bad old place called Xepon? French motorcycle riders
these days... When are some _American_ motorcycle riders going to get
back up to Xepon?!

The original thread is on

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1184
=========================

We entered Lao at Voeun Khan on Jan. 12, 2006 with 4 bikes (250 cc).
After visiting the 4000 Phan Don, we crossed the Mekong to the West
side at Ban Hua Kong at the West side of Don Khong island. From there,
we followed small road through Mounlapamok, Soukhouma, visited the Wat
Pou at Champassak. This is much more interesting than just driving
crazy all the way from border to Pakse on # 13. Two friends who flied
from the US, joined us in Pakse after driving rented bike during 2 days
the whole way from Vientiane on # 13!

SALAVAN - ROUTE 9 / XEPON
From Salavan, going North to connect with Road # 9 there are 2 options:

(1) ROUTE 23: This trip requests a minimum of motorbike skill and can
be done in one day. There are 2 major river crossings, where American
planes have bombed big concrete bridges in the past. (Thanks to them,
they didn't support reconstruction cost yet!!). Scenery of those
collapsed bridges is spectacular.
The first crossing can be made easily in dry season driving the bike
East of the bridge. For those too lazy to get feet wet, crossing in
small boat cost 5000 Kips.
The second crossing, on the Xe Banghiang river, is impossible through
the water. As there is no other option than crossing on small narrow
boat, price has to be negotiated. Boat man request 300 Bahts per big
bike, but can be cut down to 200 bahts. It is much secure to lay down
the bike over the small boat, as there is story the big bike ever
dropped in the river!! After river crossing, the road North of Tat Hai,
is now very good up to Phim on road # 9.
(2) ROUTE 15: going from Salavan to Tahoy (not on GT-Rider map: please
David correct). Should be close to Tapung on GT-Rider map). We didn't
take that road, as we didn't know about possibility to continue up to
Dong, West of Xephon.

XEPON
Later on, once arrived in Xephon via road # 23, we went to Dong, where
we found a large road under construction going South. Engineer building
road said this road is going up to Tahoy; work is already well
advanced. This will be at least a good laterite road crossing great
scenery. As we can see, little known OFF road are already up-graded
before we have the time to enjoy them!! So, I believe that connection
from Salavan to Dong by road 15 should not be too difficult.

XEPON / ROUTE 9 - ROUTE 12
Connecting road #9 with road #12 in central hill land Lao:
This is a real nice trip, passing through areas, which it seems, have
never seen a "farang" before and neither big bike. (report from
villagers??)
The crossing is quite challenging from the Silabury gold mine area
until Xay Boua Thong, which is a new administrative district town (not
on GT-Rider map: please David correct), just 2 Km, North of the small
village of Nongthat village (which is on GT-Rider map).
From #9, take the direction of Silabury Gold mine at the intersection

in Nabo village, just a few Km. West of Xephon.
Vincent, the French guy leaving there, who supplies the gold mine with
food plans to re-open his "Bar Beer Dokkeo Gaillard" in the future he
said. Vilabury is 42 Km North on a nice dirt road.

VILABOURY - XAY BOUA THONG
There is a major checkpoint at the gate of the city gold mine. Just
explain that you go North up to Mahaxai and they will let you go.
Fill up gas here in the town and continue the road to the North. 10 Km
out of town, turn right at the intersection in middle of rice field.
There is only one house at the right corner and continue a few km until
Masou village. There is a store in the village (drink and gas, but
stock was empty) and just at the store make a sharp left turn. Don't
continue the main "road' on the right of the store, which return to
Vilabury (?).
3 Km after Masou village, is Non Dip village, just a few houses there.
Just after a house in this very small village, there is a dirt road on
the left, where there is a board (not very visible) with the mention of
Xay Boua Thong. The road continues in a forest area and reaches the
village Ban Say Boua Thong. There is a long school building in a field,
which you leave on your left and you continue the way following the big
hill on the right until Ban Pakhat.
The road continues in beautiful scenery until Ban Naphoa, and then
reaches the bigger village of Phut Nadi, where gas is available.
The next 10 Km may be difficult for inexperienced rider as there are
several sections with deep sand here.
Finally, the road reaches Nong That where the small road connects with
a big laterite road. Here turn to the right and Xay Boua Thong is just
2 km away. There is a government guesthouse in the district office.
Very basic comfort.

XAY BOUA THONG - ROUTE 12.
From here, just continue the good laterite road going North for 45 Km

through Mahaxai (which in fact is ON road #12 and not a few Km South as
on GT-Rider map) until connecting with road # 12.

It is possible to make the connection in one day for good riders. Other
will have to spend the night in Xay Boua Thong.
It is interesting to continue North up to road # 8. Roads connecting
road # 12 to # 8 are much better off than roads in the Southern part of
the trip. Those roads are now upgraded and will be concrete road soon
(please David correct the map). There are major construction works
along those roads for the huge Nam Theun 2 dam, which is built in the
hills. It is possible to make a nice trip going up hills on the way to
the dam, very nice scenery.

Construction of new bridge North of Nakai is just completed, so no more
problem to cross the Nam Theun river.

http://lrally.photosite.com/Album1/101_DSC02928.html
KONG LOR CAVE
Road # 8 from Nam Phao to Vieng Kham is beautifull. Visit to the 7 Km
long cave of "Tham Lot Kong Lo", which the Nam Hin flows, is a must.
There are 40 Km of dirt road from Ban Na Hin (= Khoun Khan) on road # 8
to the cave. "Unfortunalely, this beautifull dirt road up to Ban Kong
Lo near the cave will be up-graded soon. Even this remote village is
connected to electricity!!
Can make the 2 x 7 km trip a small boat through the cave. No problem to
find accommodation in village house. They offer full boarding with food
for 5$ per day.

Back to road #13, at Vieng Kham, we continued up to Vientiane. Then
crossed Thailand from Nong Khai, Udon, Surin and re-entered Cambodia at
O'Smach. Thus is too much good tarmac roads. We were happy to find the
dirt road from the border up to Siem Reap.

Total riding from P. Penh back to P. Penh was 3,300 Km in 2 weeks. I
will recommend next time to put the bike on bus from Pakse up to
Vientiane, then explore the Phonsavan area.

We still don't know if the connection from Paksan to Phonsavan is
possible and "authorized" by the Lao authorities?

I has been working in Laos (Pakse) in 1994-95, then moved to Cambodia.
Ten years later, I found Laos much better off that Cambodia today,
while in the 90s both countries were about in the same mess!
We were surprised to find most of lao villages, even in rural remote
area with electricity and the development of national road is much
better in Laos as well.
The density of Land Cruisers by Km of street is much lower in Vientiane
than in P. Penh. This may be a good indicator to explain the better
development of Laos!!
By Philippe

pH

http://lrally.photosite.com

Old February 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM posted to soc.culture.laos,rec.travel.asia,alt.war.vietnam

wrote:
[...]

From Salavan, going North to connect with Road # 9 there are 2 options:

[...]

From #9, take the direction of Silabury Gold mine at the intersection

[...]

From here, just continue the good laterite road going North for 45 Km

[...]

Thanks, rectra. I am glad to hear that Laos is moving ahead. It is
good to hear from someone that had lived in both country. Sokdee.

Old February 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM posted to soc.culture.laos,rec.travel.asia,alt.war.vietnam

We were visiting the Si Phan Done waterfall area just a few miles from
the Cambodian border three months ago. That area was very beautiful and
peaceful. Next time, we plan to spend more time on some of the small
islands in the middle of the river.

Thanks for the pics.

Old February 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM posted to soc.culture.laos,rec.travel.asia,alt.war.vietnam

Sokdee, where did you live in Laos ? I only know some
of the southern part.
Be nice to hear some stories....

"Sokdee" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

[...]

[...]