London to Paris by Eurostar

Old August 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
SportbikeRush

Default London to Paris by Eurostar

Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Go Fig

In article .com,
SportbikeRush wrote:

Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

$150 one way. If you book at 21+ days and are willing to chuck your
return leg ticket of a round trip ticket... it can be done for $49.

Generally it is probably more convenient than air, but that may depend
on your start and end point.

jay
Sun Aug 21, 2005

Old August 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM

Taking the Eurostar or flying are roughly equivalent in time and money
but IMHO taking the train is _way_ less hassle.

1. Eurostar
-----------
Go have a look at http://www.eurostar.com for the cheapest Eurostar
fares.

As an example, the following round trip will cost you GBP 29.50 + 39.50
= GBP 69.00

Thu Sep 22nd 4:12p 7:47p London Waterloo - Paris Gare du Nord
Sun Sep 25th 11:43a 1:30p Paris Gare du Nord - London Waterloo

The key is to book well in advance, and to make sure there is a
Saturday night between your real outward and fictitious return
journeys. I think you could probably get the price down to GBP 59.00
if you're booking even further in advance.

This route is very convenient if you are travelling from central London
to central Paris as both termini are within the central fare zone for
buses and subways.

2. Easyjet
----------
Alternatively, have a look at http://www.easyjet.com for cheap flights.
As an example, the following single trip will cost you GBP 44.99:

Thu Sep 22nd 2:10p 4:30p London Luton airport - Paris Charles de
Gaulle airport

_but_ you will also have to figure in about an hour at either end for
travel between the city centres and the airports _plus_ GBP 10.70 and
EUR 7.85 for the train journeys.

Up to you whether the extra money is worth it for the convenience of
taking the Eurostar !

Nick

Old August 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Keith W

"SportbikeRush" wrote in message
oups.com...
Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

As with the airlines it depends on when you travel and how far in
advance you book. Non Refundable fares start at around $100
return while fully flexible tickets are $300.

When comparing prices with the airlines remember to factor
in transfer costs from airport to city centre

Keith

Old August 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Keith W

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:21:58 +0100, "Keith W"
wrote:

"SportbikeRush" wrote in message
groups.com...
Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

As with the airlines it depends on when you travel and how far in
advance you book.

KLM appear to dramatically drop fares a few days before departure
date.

Special offers are not unknown on other airlines on departures
that arent fully booked.

Keith

Old August 21st, 2005, 02:28 PM
Alan S

On 20 Aug 2005 23:11:49 -0700, "SportbikeRush"
wrote:

Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

Piggybacking on your query.

My wife is a little claustrophobic about the Chunnel. How
much time is spent in the tunnel section?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Alan S

wrote:

Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

Piggybacking on your query.

My wife is a little claustrophobic about the Chunnel. How
much time is spent in the tunnel section?

less than 35 minutes.

Thx for the quick response Martin.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:07 PM
Lennart Petersen

wrote:

Approximately how much does it cost (USD). I am also considering
alternatives like EasyJet or RyanAir but I heard Eurostar is much more
convenient and would like to choose this option if it is not that much
more expensive. This would be a 1-way trip.

Piggybacking on your query.

My wife is a little claustrophobic about the Chunnel. How
much time is spent in the tunnel section?

less than 35 minutes.

Thx for the quick response Martin.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

-----------------
20 minutes for Eurostar trains in the tunnel itself.
35 min is for car trains from loading to offloading.

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:40 PM

Isn't it funny how the Brits choose the Waterloo station to go to
France? The French should have made gare d'Austerlitz the terminus.

Bradwell Jackson

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Isn't it funny how the Brits choose the Waterloo station to go to
France?

Ironic, maybe, but it wasn't because of the name that the station was
chosen. In a few years, the services will move to St. Pancras anyway
when that terminus will be renamed London Olympics Station.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
pictures at http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer