2/3 weeks in Western Australia and/or Tasmania

Old June 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

Default 2/3 weeks in Western Australia and/or Tasmania

Hi everyone!
I will go to Australia soon before Christmas for 3 or 4 weeks. I
visited already NT, a part of QL, Sydney and now would like to visit
the WA and/or Tasmania.
I will spend Christmas in Melbourne and new year's eve in Sydney, I
could visit Tasmania between them, maybe fly from Sydney to WA and
then leave to Europe from Perth.

What about WA? Maybe it is not a good period to visit the north
(Kymberley).

Basically I would stay 5-6 gg in Melbourne (relatives there), 2-3 in
Sydney, let's say 4 for the travel from and to Europe, so I have 15/20
days to split between TAS and WA.

As I'm travelling by myself, I think I ll go for a bus tour like this.
http://www.adventuretours.com.au/tasmania-tours
-How many days?

-and about WA, better from Broome to Perth or to Darwin?
http://www.adventuretours.com.au/tours-from-broome

-or better to stay on the south?
http://www.adventuretours.com.au/tours-from-perth
which one do you suggest to me?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

At that time of year, you want to stay in the southern parts of Australia.
So, I would stick with Tasmania and southern WA (no shortage of things to
see and do at either one of them).

While the more northern parts of WA are also well worth seeing, it's just
not a good time of year, especially for a European visitor. Save them for
another trip during our cooler months.

Kerry

Old June 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:28:25 -0700 (PDT), max11
wrote:

[...]

No question for me either Tassie, Tassie, Tassie. The weather will be
great and the only problem is what not to do.

I would definitely see Hobart and Port Arthur but then with limited
time itis up to you either Freycinet and wine glass bay or Cradle
mountain.

You will love it (but while in Vic. check out Tower Hill out the Great
Ocean Road, really great wlidlife and a fascinating place.)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions

So I will avoid the Kymberley, and trying to do both WA and TAS. maybe
a good compromise is 5/6/7 days in Tasmania and about 10 in WA. I like
the option to hire a car myself (as I did in the past) but in that way
I risk to waste time and not to see all I can see. (I did one of it 2
years ago and I enjoyed a lot)

To help me to reduce my researches, as I do not know all those towns
(I tried myself but got confused!) I would be very grateful if _you
would pick up and choose for me specific tours_ (depending on the
places that are a must or worth a visit) that you would do.

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/tasmania-tours
http://www.underdownunder.com.au/
and WA
http://www.adventuretours.com.au/tours-from-perth
maybe I have to do 2 of them (example: 7+3 days)?

-how to go to Tasmania? Flying from Melbourne to Hobarth?

Thanks also for the suggestions about Victoria, as I will stay a week
in Melbourne probably I will visit something else, after GOR, Yarra
Valley and Phillip Island that I visited already.

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 02:09:50 -0700 (PDT), max11
wrote:

[...]

You have two choices, fly or ferry (Melbourne to Devenport) Fly to
Devonport, Launceston or Hoart.. Your tours look interesting. About
twice the pace that I would reccomend, but you will see some of Tassie
on the way.
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
max11

wrote:

[...]

:-)
What else besides Hobarth and Port Arthur?
Could you pick up one of the tours?
If you know any better one, I could do it!

Cheers
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
GreenieLeBrun

wrote:

[...]

Have a look at http://www.tasmaniatravel.com.au/ for things to do but for
starters

The wilderness railway that runs between Strahan and Queenstown
Cradle Mountain
The Dismal Swamp (yes that's its name)
The various cruises and adventure tours
Boags or the Cascade Brewery
Salamanca Market (a must)
The Freycinet Peninsula
Maria Island (little visited but worth it)
Stanley
The North East coast (Bicheno, the Bay of fires etc.)
and many more

Old June 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit

"max11" wrote in message
[...]

Seeing as you will be in Australia during December I suggest that the
northern half of Western Australia will be too hot and/or too wet.
You could do worse than hiring a car in Perth and spending your time driving
through the south western parts of the state. Places like Busselton,
Margaret River, Augusta, Pemberton, Walpole, Albany and Esperance come to
mind.
I suggest you do some homework at the official tourism site for WA
http://www.westernaustralia.com/au/P...Australia.aspx

Then if you have further questions ask them here.
I have lived in WA for over 50 years and can ramble on for hours but really
need to know more specific questions to answer.

Have fun planning.

Gerrit - Albany

Old June 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

Gerrit wrote:

Seeing as you will be in Australia during December I suggest that the
northern half of Western Australia will be too hot and/or too wet.
You could do worse than hiring a car in Perth and spending your time driving
through the south western parts of the state. Places like Busselton,
Margaret River, Augusta, Pemberton, Walpole, Albany and Esperance come to
mind.

Gerrit's advice is absolutely on target.

I spent a day and a half in Esperance in December of 2007. The
view of the Southern Ocean is awesome. One day I will return to
OZ with my wife and Esperance is absolutely on my itinerary. I
stayed at the Captain Huon Motel and I would recommend it to anyone.
I also drove across the Nullarbor. If you like the adventure of
driving for hours in the middle of nowhere, you will like the
Nullarbor.

I suggest you do some homework at the official tourism site for WA
http://www.westernaustralia.com/au/P...Australia.aspx

Then if you have further questions ask them here.
I have lived in WA for over 50 years and can ramble on for hours but really
need to know more specific questions to answer.

Have fun planning.

Gerrit - Albany

When I come again to OZ, I'll stop in Albany to have a few pints with you.

Dick

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Gerrit wrote:

[...]

You're going to have to make that wine as I don't drink beer. :-)