Cozumel trip report

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Dave

Default Cozumel trip report

Just got back from Cozumel and wanted to post my trip report with photos:
http://www.webkatz.net/Mexico/Cozumel04.html

Enjoy,

Dave

--
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- HL Mencken

Old March 15th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Brian K

Dave,

Nice photos. How did you do the underwater stuff? Did you use one of
those disposables, or something more professional?

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

On 03/14/2004 9:52 PM Dave scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Dave

Brian K wrote in message thlink.net...
Dave,

Nice photos. How did you do the underwater stuff? Did you use one of
those disposables, or something more professional?

Thanks. Everything was taken using an Olympus C5050 digital camera.
For the UW stuff I put the camera in an Oly PT-015 housing.

Dave
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Bob B

Dave those are great pics! We just booked our trip to the Sol Cabanas and
it looks like we made the right choice. Thanks for sharing =)

Bob

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Brian K

On 03/14/2004 9:52 PM Dave scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:

Just got back from Cozumel and wanted to post my trip report with photos:
http://www.webkatz.net/Mexico/Cozumel04.html

Enjoy,

Dave

--
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- HL Mencken

Great pictures! For the newbies you might mention that Sol Cabañas are
a one star hotel, without in room phones, tv, or radio. Not that this
bothers me much, but some folks might be disappointed once they checked in.

--
________

Old March 15th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Dave

"Brian K" wrote in message
hlink.net...
On 03/14/2004 9:52 PM Dave scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:

Great pictures! For the newbies you might mention that Sol Cabañas are
a one star hotel, without in room phones, tv, or radio. Not that this
bothers me much, but some folks might be disappointed once they checked

in.

One star, where'd you get that? They have phones in the rooms, air
conditioning (but I'd rather have fans), an mediocre restaurant, a small
pool, and a good beach bar. No TV in the rooms, but they have a big one and
a bunch of chairs/couches in the lobby. They have a great staff, and an
excellent beach for sunning with a small swimming area, and good snorkeling
right off the beach.

It is an older hotel (I hear Jackie O. used to stay there) and it could use
some remodeling/updating. But I'd give it at least 2 stars. YMMV, but no
"warning" needed as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

Old March 16th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Sherry

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting the photos, they were great! My girlfriend and I
are planning a 9 day trip at the end of May on some beach between
Cancun and Tulum. The trouble is deciding which one(s)! We want the
clearest and calmest water because we're not great swimmers. We also
want to see ruins and enjoy short treks in the jungle. Any ideas?
Thanks for reading!
Old March 16th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Dave

(Sherry) wrote in message . com...
Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting the photos, they were great! My girlfriend and I
are planning a 9 day trip at the end of May on some beach between
Cancun and Tulum. The trouble is deciding which one(s)! We want the
clearest and calmest water because we're not great swimmers. We also
want to see ruins and enjoy short treks in the jungle. Any ideas?
Thanks for reading!

Glad you liked our photos. It was a great trip.

Since swimming conditions can vary so much from place to place,I would
first decide on what type of vacation you want, and then look at what
the beach is like.

Puerto Morelos is very small, rural, and quiet. It's close enough to
the Tulum ruins to do a day trip there. Check with the Alma Libre
bookstore for a guy named Bush who runs nice archeological tours.
There's also a guy in town named Goya who runs Maya/hippie eco tours.
The beach is nice (nicer since they started cleaning the cruise ship
crap off of it this year). The reef runs a couple hundred yards off
shore, so the water is very calm and the snorkeling is excellent even
for beginners, but the water isn't much good for wading/swimming
because of all the turtle grass.
http://webkatz.net/Mexico/puertomorelos.html

Playa del Carmen is very hip and happening. It's getting to be a
good-sized town, and has better food/nightlife than Pto. Morelos
without feeling like Cancun. It's closer to the Tulum ruins, and close
enough to Chitzen Itza that you could probably do a LONG day trip
there. The beach is great and the fine for swimming, but the
snorkeling stinks.

Punta Bete is very remote and it's a bit of a hike to get a taxi.
There's nothing much there in terms of food or entertainment. It's
close enough to Tulum for a day trip. The beach is nice and clothing
optional. If you get up by Capitan Lafitte, the water is very warm and
shallow and nice for swimming. There's no snorkeling.
http://webkatz.net/Mexico/puntabete.html

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Dave
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Bob B

Look it up on www.tripadvisor.com, there are some great writeups with
different opinions. The trick is to match what you want in a hotel with the
hotel. We like quaint not the "norm" places, even if they are in need of a
little remodling so thats why we chose this one. I'll post when we get back
in April.

Question for you Dave. Did you do any fishing while you were there? I've
heard you can fish from shore using hand lines. Not looking to catch big
ones, just for a relaxing way to spend time on a beach somewhere while I
drink my beer...

hlink.net...

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Dave

"Bob B" wrote in message
Look it up on www.tripadvisor.com, there are some great writeups with
different opinions. The trick is to match what you want in a hotel with

the
hotel. We like quaint not the "norm" places, even if they are in need of

little remodling so thats why we chose this one. I'll post when we get

back
in April.

Question for you Dave. Did you do any fishing while you were there? I've
heard you can fish from shore using hand lines. Not looking to catch big
ones, just for a relaxing way to spend time on a beach somewhere while I
drink my beer...

Sol Cabañas has got quaint all right. It's a nice little place. You should
do fine there.

I didn't do any fishing, nor did I see anyone there doing any from shore.
Where there's coral/structure close to shore, I think you could drop a line
and pick up something. If not, have another beer.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Dave