When Should Seniors Hang Up The Car Keys?

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:11 PM posted to soc.retirement,alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,alt.autos.german
PJ o'D

Default When Should Seniors Hang Up The Car Keys?

On Oct 8, 11:22*am, Earl Evleth wrote:
On 8/10/12 13:50, in article , "Jim_Higgins"

wrote:
When Should Seniors Hang Up The Car Keys?

I already have at 80.

. *City living gives you alternate possibilities,
the public transport is good...

Nicht fuer Mich

Website for this image
Commuters at Gare de l'Est station on the Paris metro
news.bbc.co.uk

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ase_416_ap.jpg

At age 80 I still drive every day.

As a result of my wife's 36 year insulin dependent diabetes type 1 and
the side effect of retinopathy and the loss of sight in her left eye
and with some impairment in the right eye, she gave up driving about 6
years ago. In 2006 we traded a 98 Chrysler Sebring convertible which
she drove and a 98 Honda Passport 4WD SUV for a new 2006 Porsche
Cayenne 'S' SUV. .

We have about 125000 miles on the Porsche which averages out to over
20000 miles per year. We have a mountain house 375 miles to the north
in the Georgia mountains which we drive to and from probably about 10
times a year without stopping overnight. We also drive to visit family
in Pennsylvania and New Jersey (700 to 800 miles from the mountain
house) numbers of times. I'll drive about 400 miles from the mountain
house and then we will stay overnight in a motel enroute before
arriving at our destination the next day. Even though we are staying
at our permanent residence in SW Georgia during Thanksgiving, we
intend to drive up to New Jersey where we have rented a beach house to
be with family during the Xmas holidays this year.

Since I purchased the Porsche in 2006 with a more favorable Euro/ USD
conversion than today, I have no intention of replacing it in the
near future. In past years I have driven Mercedes and BMWs for over
250,000 miles on each and traded only when the repairs became cost
prohibitive.

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM posted to soc.retirement,alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,alt.autos.german
Runge 667

donovan and evleth are one and the same !
Brag brag brag and display of their personal stuff
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

discussion :

Old October 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM posted to soc.retirement,alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,alt.autos.german
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
[...]

I stopped driving the first time the neuropathy in my feet allowed my
foot to unintentionally slip off of the brake pedal. (I was slowly
backing out of my assigned parking place, so only hit the building
gently, with no damage to it or my vehicle, but it could just as well
have happened at a stop light with heavy traffic in the cross lanes.) I
confess I sorely miss being able to go where I wish, when I wish, but
continuing to drive wasn't worth the possible consequences to other
drivers.

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM posted to soc.retirement,alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe,alt.autos.german
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

I stopped driving the first time the neuropathy in my feet allowed my
foot to unintentionally slip off of the brake pedal.

You _are_ aware that cars can be equipped with manually operated brakes
and throttles, so you don't need your feet to drive the vehicle, right?

(Disclaimer: I don't know whether or not this technology is allowed for
use in street traffic in the USA)

--
Erick