Vancouver weather in Nov/Dec, places of interest

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:41 AM
thenotebook thenotebook is offline
Member

Default Vancouver weather in Nov/Dec, places of interest

We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver and places of interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days? What's the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

Old September 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

:Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver and places of
:interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days? What's
:the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

Can't help you with this.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old September 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Sep 1, 1:41*am, thenotebook
wrote:
We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to
end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Nov. The later in the year, the more likely it's going to rain.
Actually it's going to start raining in Nov. anyway.

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver

Define "Good".

and places of
interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days?

What are your interests? Scenery, museum, shopping, outdoors,
gardens, restaurants?

What's
the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

Taxi.

thenotebook

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

thenotebook wrote:
We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to
end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver and places of
interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days? What's
the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

I don't think it will matter much if you go in Nov. or Dec. It will be
cool and wet. With a bit of luck you may see the sun for a little while,
but it is more likely to be raining.

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Vancouver, and it has a free shuttle to
the airport. The art gallery is (almost) next door IIRC, and the museum
at UBC is interesting. If the weather is decent you can go to Stanley
Park.You might consider a day trip or maybe an overnight trip to Whistler.
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
don

"thenotebook" wrote in message

We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to
end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver and places of
interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days? What's
the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

As others have mentioned, it's likely to be cool, cloudy and wet; we've
visited in January and had bright sunshine so you might be lucky.

The old but nice Sylvia Hotel is near Stanley Park and a block from Denham
Street restaurants.

The Sky Shuttle train just opened up to the airport if you want to use
public transit.

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 9/1/09 1:41 AM, in article ,
"thenotebook" wrote:

We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to
end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver and places of
interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days? What's
the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

The weather choice between November and December is a moot point! It will
rain both months. Vancouver rains in the winter. It is possible to get some
snow then but not usually.

Where to stay? What type of accommodation do you want? Hotels in downtown
Vancouver are expensive. Google Tourism Vancouver and you will find lots of
information.

There two ways to get to downtown. The cheapest way is on the Canada Line
Sky Train. The stop is right at the terminal. No extra walking or shuttles
required. It costs CAD3.75 each.You can use a credit card in the machines.
You can also take a taxi or limousine. I don't know what that costs. I never
go downtown from the airport. I just go home. They too are just outside the
terminal.

Places to visit. Late fall is not the best time to come here. The Aquarium,
Science World, Museum of Anthropology, Art Gallery, to name a few. A trip up
Grouse Mountain in the Gondola is always fun. There will be probably be snow
up there then. At least the ski resorts hope so. We're known for our
gardens, but to see those you need to come in the spring and summer.

If you've got any specific questions after checking out Tourism Vancouver,
let me know. I will try to pin down the precise answer.
--
Martha Canada
..

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 9/1/09 9:05 AM, in article
, "Dave Smith"
wrote:

thenotebook wrote:
We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to
end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver and places of
interest we should not miss if we are only staying for 2-3 days? What's
the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

I don't think it will matter much if you go in Nov. or Dec. It will be
cool and wet. With a bit of luck you may see the sun for a little while,
but it is more likely to be raining.

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Vancouver, and it has a free shuttle to
the airport. The art gallery is (almost) next door IIRC, and the museum
at UBC is interesting. If the weather is decent you can go to Stanley
Park.You might consider a day trip or maybe an overnight trip to Whistler.

Te person who answered this obviously visit Vancouver before the Sky Train
went into service. A lot of the shuttles from the hotels are now cancelled
as the sky train is nearby and easy to get to.

The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, while very nice, is one of the most expensive
hotels in the city. It's right up there with the Four Seasons, Pan Pacific,
and Sutton Hotels. Whistler would be great, but you would be going just
before the Olympics, and so you could get birds eye view of the preparations
without the mobs of people and astronomical prices. I love Whistler.

Old September 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

thenotebook wrote:

We hope to stopover in Vancouver enroute to US somewhere in mid Nov to
end Dec, which will be a better month to be in Vancouver? Nov or Dec?

Either month will have about the same amount of rain. December is
darker and colder so I'd opt for November.

Can someone pls recommend some good hotels in Vancouver

One person's "good" is another person's "dump" and is yet another
person's "too expensive". Give us a benchmark.

and places of interest we should not miss if we are only staying for
2-3 days?

What interests you?

What's the best way to get to town from airport for a family of 4?

The new rapid transit line will take the four of you right downtown for
$15. Only the most expensive hotels are upstairs from any of the
downtown subway stations, though. Otherwise, you will need to take a
taxi from the subway station to your hotel. A taxi from the airport to
any downtown hotel's front door will cost you about $30 so it's hardly
worth the bother trying to use the new transit line.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mikeos

It's noticeable that in response to this kind of query, when responders
ask for further clarification, the original poster can't be bothered to
reply.