Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On Aug 25, 9:07*am, (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:

On Aug 24, 6:54*pm, "Joseph D. Korman" wrote:
However, I'm not sure how you can get a reduced fare Metrocard from out
of town. *The walk in center is *near Wall St. *So if you're planning to
visit there, perhaps that could be your first stop. *They are open M-F
9a-5p. *Web sitehttp://www.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfcenter.htm

In Chicago 15 years ago when I got my mother a discount CTA card, it
took about a month for the request to be processed (she didn't need to
be there to get it done), but it was good forever after. It probably
works similarly here, so you probably have time to do the paperwork
before your visit.

Good guess, but too bad you didn't follow that link there you
quoted.

* * Sign Up for Reduced-Fare MetroCard

* * If you are 65 or older

* * * * * Bring proof of age - driver's license, Medicare card or
* * * * * birth certificate (one must have a photo)

* * * * * We'll help you complete your application, and take your
* * * * * photograph.

* * * * * Notary not necessary

* * * * * Leave with your new Reduced-Fare MetroCard

So it's your recommendation that our 5- or 6-day visitors spend
several hours in Downtown Brooklyn first? Just _finding_ the MTA
building is a challenge.
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

So it's your recommendation that our 5- or 6-day visitors spend
several hours in Downtown Brooklyn first? Just _finding_ the MTA
building is a challenge.

Normally you'd be correct. However these visitors seem especially keen
on minimizing expenses, though perhaps not because they don't realize
how quickly the transit expenses in and out of Manhattan will add up.
Clearly a better use of time would be in finding a less expensive hotel
in Manhattan than trying to figure out ways of saving a relatively small
amount of money on transit.

I'd recommend a visit to Brooklyn to visit the NYC Transit Museum.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph D. Korman

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

They asked about reduced fares. Brooklyn has nothing to do with it any
more. The walk in center is in lower Manhattan around the corner from 2
Broadway at 3 Stone Street - Between Broadway and Broad Street.

From there one could walk to the Staten Island Ferry, the Statue of
Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry, Wall St, and the South Street Seaport.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 25, 11:35*am, SMS wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
So it's your recommendation that our 5- or 6-day visitors spend
several hours in Downtown Brooklyn first? Just _finding_ the MTA
building is a challenge.

Normally you'd be correct. However these visitors seem especially keen
on minimizing expenses, though perhaps not because they don't realize
how quickly the transit expenses in and out of Manhattan will add up.
Clearly a better use of time would be in finding a less expensive hotel
in Manhattan than trying to figure out ways of saving a relatively small
amount of money on transit.

I'd recommend a visit to Brooklyn to visit the NYC Transit Museum.

Probably not in the top 50 sights in the city. Top 100, maybe.
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

*From there one could walk to the Staten Island Ferry, the Statue of
Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry, Wall St, and the South Street Seaport.

Any one of those three -- SoL, EI, or Seaport -- would use up the
entire amount saved by getting the senior discount!
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph D. Korman

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

From there one could walk to the Staten Island Ferry, the Statue of
Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry, Wall St, and the South Street Seaport.

Any one of those three -- SoL, EI, or Seaport -- would use up the
entire amount saved by getting the senior discount!

What are you talking about? The senior discount for Metrocard fares is
half of the regular unlimited card (except for the one day pass).

7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $27, reduced fare $13.50
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days
from day of first use.

*If* they are going to visit any of those locations, while there they
could pick up the discount card. They lose nothing on going to those
sites and still pay half fare for all of the subway/bus trips they will
take for the week.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

And the $13.50 saved is approximately equal to the Statue of Liberty
Ferry ticket, and a lot less than the South Street Seaport admission.
MoMA, Whitney, and Guggenheim all also ask $18-$20. (The Guggenheim is
pay-what-you-wish on Saturday evening.)
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph D. Korman

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

So? You are comparing apples and oranges. They can elect to go to any
of those activities or not. But if they are eligible for the discount
on the Metrocard, they still save half of their transportation fare for
their WHOLE visit.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

And the $13.50 saved is approximately equal to the Statue of Liberty
Ferry ticket, and a lot less than the South Street Seaport admission.
MoMA, Whitney, and Guggenheim all also ask $18-$20. (The Guggenheim is
pay-what-you-wish on Saturday evening.)

What does one have to do with the other?
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:32:42 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Very bad idea what you're trying to do. Between the cost of the transit,
and the amount of time it takes, you won't save much, if any, money.
Also, when visiting Manhattan, it's often the case that you want to go
back to the hotel in the middle of the day, take a rest, then go back
out at night. If you have to travel back to Queens or NJ, you won't do that.

And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.