Critique my route (please)

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 667

Default Critique my route (please)

Another useless thread ?
michaelnewport is back !

"Beer Tricks Potter" a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion :
On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:57:21 AM UTC+2, tim..... wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:07:05 +0100, "tim....."

wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

. ..

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:15:00 +0100, "tim....."

wrote:

Having decide to combine the trip to the French Chateau with a
planned

trip

to Spain, here is the route that I have come up with.

Ferrys are booked so I'm stuck with the dates (Oct 13th to Nov 1st).

I know that I am:

a) Doing too much driving

b) Not leaving enough time to get to experience bars/restaurants

whatever,

but

For goodness sake man, it isn't a competition it's a holiday.

which I prefer to use as a way of seeing places that I have never seen

before (and probably wont see again)

But you're never going to see it all.

I know :-(

Why not discover an area in detail?

Because one ends up going to marginal places that are of zero interest
when

you get there, that I wish I hadn't wasted my limited (holiday) time on.

Do some relaxing...

I do that 24/7 when I am in the UK.

spending time doing nothing whilst on holiday is wasted time IMHO

That statement is terribly sad.

Perhaps, but that's how it is

tim

coool trip, La Alberca...eat the local Jamon Iberico, Honey and some other
bits and pieces...stay here...
http://abadiadelostemplarios.com/hotel-imagenes.html#

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 10/01/2012 10:15 PM, tim..... wrote:
Having decide to combine the trip to the French Chateau with a planned
trip to Spain, here is the route that I have come up with.

Ferrys are booked so I'm stuck with the dates (Oct 13th to Nov 1st).

I know that I am:

a) Doing too much driving
b) Not leaving enough time to get to experience bars/restaurants
whatever, but

a) For the most part, I like the experience of driving in foreign
countries, IMHO it adds to the holiday experience.
b) You can call me weird if you like but when I'm travelling on my own,
I don't attach any value to these items.

Everywhere that I intend to stop at (and walk around) is named below,
I'm trying as far as possible to overnight in small towns so as to avoid
business hotel prices:

S 13 - Leave UK, drive to Blois.
S 14 - Visit French Chateau etc, overnight in Blois.
M 15 - Ditto.
T 16 - Ditto.
W 17 - Drive to San Sebastian for late afternoon.
T 18 - Morning in San Sebastian, Drive to Pamplona/Estella/Puenta La Reina.
F 19 - Drive to Valladolid via Burgos.
S 20 - In Valladolid (visiting friend).
S 21 - Drive to La Alberca via Coca.
M 22 - Drive to Merida via Caceres.
T 23 - Drive through Portugal (Elvas, Evora, Marvao, Almouri. Tomar,
Batalha, Alcobaco, Obidos, Nazare, Porto, Pendra Gares).
W 24 - Ditto.
T 25 - Ditto.
F 26 - Ditto.
S 27 - Ditto.
S 28 - Drive to Santiago via Vigo.
M 29 - Drive to Leon.
T 30 - Drive to (near) Santander via Oviedo and Picos de Europa.
W 31 - Free day in Santander.
T 1 - Morning in Santander, afternoon catch ferry home.

I've already "done": Madrid/El Escorial/Avilla/Segovia/Salamanca &
Lisbon Area/Coimbra on previous visits (without a car) so I don't need
to add them, but is there anywhere else on the route that I should add?
Any places that I have scheduled the wrong amount of time in (relatively
speaking)

I suspect that I have a spare day in Portugal (perhaps I should use the
5th day to drive to Vigo) and I don't need a day and a half in
Santander, but I don't want to leave myself rushed to catch the ferry!

I possibly don't have enough time in Navarre if I spend the morning in
San Sebastian. I could plan to arrive earlier at SS by starting the
journey through France the evening before and stopping half way rather
than going back to the same hotel in Blois. Or I can shuffle everything
along one day and lose the spare day in Santander and or Portugal (or
both!).

Comments welcome.

timmy

We just got back from San Sebastian this afternoon, great place! Check
out the tapas bars! We stayed at the Hotel Niza, one of the historic
grand hotels on the seafront, the building has the original lift built
around 100 years ago and still working perfectly.

Old October 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 10/02/2012 10:38 AM, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:11:17 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:36:55 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:15:00 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

Comments welcome.

timmy

Don't forget to take two obligatory breathalysers with you

I have them already (from an earlier trip)

and a yellow jacket

and a warning triangle (oh do I need two for Spain?)

and a bulb kit.

and stickers for your headlights.

The above cost £75 on the P&O ferries.

I thought 11.99 in Halfords was expensive, and IIRC I couldn't get below
7.99 going online.

If you have normal headlights with replaceable bulbs then just take a
roll of black tape, scissors, and stick some over the deflector segments
on the headlights. If you have xenon lights then check with the
manufacturer's owner manual or your workshop, there should be a way of
altering the beam.

I meant the whole list not just the head light stickers.

I was expecting someone to be selling them at 2.99!

tim