Monde Italie : le boulanger a eu la peau de McDo

Old January 6th, 2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Monde Italie : le boulanger a eu la peau de McDo

Martin wrote:
Maybe too good for a country in which
Wimpy Bars lasted decades?

I recall from my backpacker days my 'Let's Go-Europe' (~1975) said
something like "Avoid the Wimpy burger places in London, the food is
terrible".
I gave them a try *once* and I still remember it! Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old January 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

I recall from my backpacker days my 'Let's Go-Europe' (~1975) said
something like "Avoid the Wimpy burger places in London, the food
is terrible".
I gave them a try *once* and I still remember it!

They all morphed into Burger Kings. If there was any difference
beyond the sign on the door I didn't notice. So you can still
find the same cuisine, in the US even...

Old January 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jack*Campin wrote:

They all morphed into Burger Kings. If
there was any difference beyond the sign
on the door I didn't notice.

But this was written by American Burger cuisine experts, American
college students 30+yrs ago .
For 'Let's Go' which is written for budget backpackers to _not even_
suggest Wimpy's for a quick cheap meal, they had to be pretty bad.

As I said I tried them and the mystery meat inside the burger was
terrible, I couldn't eat it. And I grew-up in my High School days
hanging around McD's and Burger King eating that crap.

So you can still find the same cuisine, in
the US even...

Burger King and McD's food definitely is bad but compared to Wimpy's of
30yrs ago, there is no comparison.
Regards, Walter

Old January 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I recall from my backpacker days my 'Let's Go-Europe' (~1975) said
something like "Avoid the Wimpy burger places in London, the food
is terrible".
I gave them a try *once* and I still remember it!

They all morphed into Burger Kings. If there was any difference
beyond the sign on the door I didn't notice.

Methinks you aren't going back as far as Martin.

The original (in my lifetime) Wimpy bars were service at the table
affairs with fixed plastic seating in garish colours. The menu
was greasy spoon egg and chips type fare. Can't say I recall
it being particularly bad food though the decor was obviously
lost somewhere in the 50s.

Wimpy bars then changed into Wimpy burgers soon after the
arrival in the UK of McD which must have been around 1975.

So you can still
find the same cuisine, in the US even...

This is true.

tim

Old January 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Some locals here call it 'da Kaang'... Never knew they where of Dutch
ancestry either...g

Tim K

"Martin" wrote in message

The only time I tried Wimpy, around 1960, I got a thing, in a bun,
about the size of an ice hockey puck and about the same flavour and
texture.
BK is an improvement on that.
--
Martin

Old January 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Have you thought to stop selling everyone that genetically engineered
Dutch schwag to begin with...? What time will the dedication of the new
Jack Herrer (The G.W.Carver of the Netherlands) statue on Dam Sq.
be...4:20 I assume...?

Phrase 'da kaang' means nothing to you because you don't speak
African/American and a street education you can't buy or Google...g

Tim K

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:22:08 GMT, "Timothy Kroesen"
wrote:

Some locals here call it 'da Kaang'... Never knew they where of

Dutch
ancestry either...g

KAANG-AH-JEE = puppy

Means nothing to me. The Dutch report that smoking too much pot does
permanent damage. Have you thought of getting professional help?
--
Martin

Old January 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Some locals here call it 'da Kaang'... Never knew they where of Dutch
ancestry either...g

KAANG-AH-JEE = puppy

Means nothing to me. The Dutch report that smoking too much pot does
permanent damage.

That would definitely need definitions of "too much" and "permanent
damage". 67 joints a day could be too much. And permanent damage could
just mean you have forgotten part of your life!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:51:22 +0100, Martin wrote:

wrote:

Some locals here call it 'da Kaang'... Never knew they where of Dutch
ancestry either...g

KAANG-AH-JEE = puppy

Means nothing to me. The Dutch report that smoking too much pot does
permanent damage.

That would definitely need definitions of "too much" and "permanent
damage". 67 joints a day could be too much. And permanent damage could
just mean you have forgotten part of your life!

Timothy shows signs of "too much".

" The increasing use of marijuana is responsible for more than
increased crime. It has widespread social implications as well. The
head of Holland’s best-known drug abuse rehabilitation center has
described what the new drug culture has created: The strong form of
marijuana that most of the young people smoke, he says, produces “a
chronically passive individual—someone who is lazy, who doesn’t want
to take initiatives, doesn’t want to be active—the kid who’d prefer to
lie in bed with a joint in the morning rather than getting up and
doing something.”

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated.
Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as
well. You just realize that it's not worth the ****ing effort. There
is a difference." - Bill Hicks
--
---
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:46:50 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:52:15 GMT, "Timothy Kroesen"
wrote:

Have you thought to stop selling everyone that genetically engineered
Dutch schwag to begin with...? What time will the dedication of the new
Jack Herrer (The G.W.Carver of the Netherlands) statue on Dam Sq.
be...4:20 I assume...?

Que?

Phrase 'da kaang' means nothing to you because you don't speak
African/American and a street education you can't buy or Google...g

It's Korean for puppy.

Also means a quick snack.
--
---
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

'4:20' is N.W. US slacker speak well known in the Netherlands; the cozy
little 'stashbox' of the EU.

On another note 'da kaang(s)' plural may refer to the Sacramento Kings
'roundball' team or 'old skool' humorists The Kaangs of Komedy: "when a
kid old enough to walk, a kid old enough to get ****ED UP. "

"I ain't hep" was the way to phrase your questioning response, unless
you just sport Volendam shizzle, homeslice...g

Tim K

wrote:

Have you thought to stop selling everyone that genetically engineered
Dutch schwag to begin with...? What time will the dedication of the

new
Jack Herrer (The G.W.Carver of the Netherlands) statue on Dam Sq.
be...4:20 I assume...?

Que?

Phrase 'da kaang' means nothing to you because you don't speak
African/American and a street education you can't buy or Google...g

It's Korean for puppy. It's better to know what you are eating before
dining out in Korea and Rijswijk.
--
Martin